Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > General BMW & Bavarian-Board Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedRoutes Thru France?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Routes Thru France?
    Posted: 21-January-2003 at 19:52

Just joined the Club today, and thought I'd pick some brains.........

A couple of us are going on a week-long driving trip through France in June, ending up at the LeMans 24Hr GT race.  We intend to go from Calais, down towards Monaco, along the South coast and then up towards LeMans.  Might even take in a bit of Italy or Spain.

I'd love to hear from anyone who can recommend any routes, good (or bad) roads, places to stay or visit etc.

Cheers

Rob

Z3 2.8

Sponsored Links

M3AG View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
7 series & e36 m3 registrar! (Madness)

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2003 at 15:12

do you intend to do motorway or A & B roads?

If it's twisties, then make your way to the N10 (Napoleons route) down to the South, through the mountains the lot, superb roads, superb scenary. If not the motorway that goes straight down the middle of France is fast and direct, splitting up the other side of Orange, to either go to Spain or Italy (Monaco)

we're the Sweeney son, and we ain't had our dinner.....
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2003 at 19:19
Get a Michelin map(s) and just look for the roads marked with a thick green line - the scenic routes.
RobTheRat View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2003 at 00:02

Thanks for that........ Motorways or twisties?   In a Z3 do you even have to ask??

I've checked out ViaMichelin.com for some routes, and will now definately be getting one of their maps.  I think I'll also try the N10 back up to LeMans, once we've done the south coast.

Any more ideas or suggestions (polite ones!) greatly appreciated. Cheers 

Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2003 at 08:56

If you don't have Sat/Nav as standard in your car, buy a portable unit - something like a colour Garmin Streetpilot III (get one with auto-routing).

They are easy to use and install (they just sit on the dash) and suprisingly accurate. If you hunt around you can get the SPIII (recommended) for around a £1,000 and the budget B&W V for £400.

Load in your scenic routes from your PC, it is remarkably easy (easier than using BMWs own Sat/Nav) and away you go. You can add other routes on the fly, so can deviate with no issue.

Fantastic touring fun - I use mine in the car and on the motorbike - best thing I did.

Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2003 at 08:58
ps: Ebay also sell them S/H, which is not too much of a worry as Garmin are good at honoring their warrenties and repair with little issue.
Mike Fishwick View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2003 at 18:11

Forget about SatNav - it's just a toy for the gadget-concious - a Michelin map is far better.  Buy the red 16 miles/inch and add a few of the yellow 6 miles/inch  for areas of interest. 

Generally stay off the Autoroutes and main N roads, the D roads being about the best for driving and scenic pleasure.

Anywaher in the French alps is good - try the roads N of Nice around the Italian border, or the passes, such as the Col de l'Iseran and Col de Lauteret, not to mention the Petit-St. Bernard into Italy.  The list endless.

A good route south is the autoroute through Clermont-Ferrand towards Beziers - I travelled it last week by Z3 and it's a dream road - also toll-free.

What to see depends on your preferences, but a good selection is:

Aircraft & Space Museum at le Bourget airport - on the N19 in the N of Paris, but easy to find and lots of free parking.  We stayed in Senlis and drove down in half an hour.

Churches - try the Eglise de Ste-Therese at Liseaux (Normandy) or the Little Eglise Ste-Foy in the World Heritage village of Conques (Auvergne)

Chateaux abound - Near Paris try Versialles (all day experience!) and Melun (as used in Moonraker).  On the Loire there is Chenoncaux, Chinon, Chambord, and Azay-le-Rideau.  Near Limoges is Hautfort.

Also near Limoges is Oradour-sur-Glane, the village destroyed by the SS in 1944, and now a monument. 

I could go on for ever, but the best answer is to go and see.

I'll be at le Mans, camping in the lay-by Terre Rouge with a red Z3 - maybe see you there!

Mike
Mike Fishwick View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2003 at 18:24

Sorry - I forgot about the War(s)! You can spend a week just in the Somme area - E of Amiens - looking at the monuments to the dead such as Thiepval (N of Pozieres, on the Amiens to Cambrai road, the French military cemetary at Notre-Dame de Lorette, or the Canadian Monument on the other side of the A26 at Vimy Ridge, just N of Arras. 

Verdun is another 'must', with all the sites celarly signed off the main road E of Verdun.  Close by is the huge US cemetary N of Clermont-en-Argonne, W of Verdun.

WW2 sites such as the US cemetary at Omaha Beach, or the V2 bunkers at Eperleques (N of St Omer) and Wizernes (signed off A26 J4 as 'La Coupole')are fascinating, as is the V3 (the first supergun) at Marquise, between Calais and Boulogne.

If you have time  two nights in Ypres is worthwhile, with a minibus tour of the battlefield, and the Menin Gate cermony every evening - very moving stuff.

I can send you a large Word file with lots of info - contact me at ozimandius@aol.com.

Mike
RobTheRat View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2003 at 18:34

Wow.... Loads of help there, thanks!

Like the sound of SatNav, although it's a bit pricey for something I'd only use once or twice a year.  Still, you never know.

Some of those routes sound ideal, especially as we're planning to stop over  in Lyon, then down to Nice and across just into Italy, before doing Monte Carlo, Marseille etc on way to LeMans.

We plan to get to LeMans on the Saturday.  One British Racing (sorry, 'Boston') green Z3 and a blue Subaru...... Both looking very tired and very happy!  Hope to see some members there,

Keep those ideas coming...        

Bill Allsopp View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2003 at 22:36

There is some great driving to be had if you look at the old Alpine Rally sections or similar. If you want I'll email you a few suggestions but no time to post more tonight.

If interested email on bill.allsopp@btinternet.com

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic