Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > BMW Motorsport & Track Days Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedsticky tyres

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2004 at 19:35
says nothing on my form about eligibilty ..

www.redevom3.co.uk
1989 e30 m3 2.5
1996 e36 m3 evo , sold
2002 e46 m3 smg .
1991 Daihatsu 2.8 TD Work Horse
Rust Never Sleeps . Tattooed Lady - Bearded Baby - there my family ..
Sponsored Links

Nick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
BMWCC Area Organiser Yorks & Humber

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2004 at 19:44
Big Vern.

Are you familiar with the West Yorkshire plods driving school in Wakefield... the place with the big skid pan and helicopter pad.

Well, thats my old 'hood and I have been out with those guys quite a few times (they like to show off).. the main guy back then used to give me some driving lessons before I passed my test..

.. anyway, back to the point..
You will have to forget all that plod taught you if you want to be on the pace around Croft..
..and if you do catch up with the guy in front, try not to 'fill' his rear view mirror just as he commits to the corner!

If you want an application form.. let me know.. if you pay up now it will give you a good reason to fettle the six.

Nick, Croft'04
kevin View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2004 at 19:55

Originally posted by Nick Nick wrote:

Big Vern.

Are you familiar with the West Yorkshire plods driving school in Wakefield... the place with the big skid pan and helicopter pad.

Nick, Croft'04

Nick...I thought Croft was a Helicopter pad with that Chinook last year.....or was that something you arranged to keep us amused ??

Big Vern...Croft is great...I hustled the M5 around last year so I'm sure your 6 will be fine.

Kevin
'04 E46 330Ci Convertible
'08 E61 535d Touring (TorqueMeister Towbarge)
’95 E34 M5
’89 E30 M3 (Cecotto)
kevin View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2004 at 19:57

Originally posted by grant w grant w wrote:

says nothing on my form about eligibilty ..

Grant..I think it is on the back of the form you have to sign and return. If it is, it would explain why I can't find it on any of my paperwork. Should have taken a copy

Kevin
'04 E46 330Ci Convertible
'08 E61 535d Touring (TorqueMeister Towbarge)
’95 E34 M5
’89 E30 M3 (Cecotto)
grant w View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2004 at 20:14
i have'nt sent anything back , i've got a blue application form , nothing on the back , a scrutineering form , a map and rules of the day with pre-drive checks on the back , and my track time ticket ..

www.redevom3.co.uk
1989 e30 m3 2.5
1996 e36 m3 evo , sold
2002 e46 m3 smg .
dom_k View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
sideways

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-March-2004 at 11:51
Not sure whats gone on here but i think i have different forms from other people. The club have contacted me to try resolve the situation and try to find out who sent me the forms. They came in a stamped envelope whereas the club office use a franking machine... strange. Anyway i said id post em back but instead il bring them on saturday and find a club official to pass them on to.
www.dkperformanceimports.co.uk
Webdunk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
M3 GT Register

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-March-2004 at 12:04
Dom,

I got the same ones I think - hand addressed and stamped. Just binned 'em as I had no idea why I would get sent them
grant w View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-March-2004 at 20:11
one day left and still no answer on the track tyre issue ..

www.redevom3.co.uk
1989 e30 m3 2.5
1996 e36 m3 evo , sold
2002 e46 m3 smg .
Nick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-March-2004 at 20:38
Grant,
I would take some regular wheels and tyres with you as a precaution... they will always come in handy.
E36's are plentiful you could go down the breakers tomorrow and get four good ones for not a lot of money.

You wont be able to get the old E30 quite as easily though.. but E28 and E34 fives will fit and do the job.

from what I can glean the day appears to be undersubscribed.. so that means there is no surplus money in the pot.. so that means no refund.. so that means if you get excluded it will have been an expensive entry to the celebrations.

Let me know how it go's

Nick
M3Moose View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-March-2004 at 20:42
Recieved my ticket & track pass (just 1 session)today. Arrived in a hand written but franked envelope. I applied via the web and filled out the same application form that has arrived today (blue).

Nowhere on the blue form, the scrutineering form or the 'Rules of the Day' does it mention what tyres are /are not allowed. This last piece of paper is titled Track Days@ BMW Car Club. Surely if the club is trying to differentiate between its BDD and track days, it would be a good idea to head the paperwork 'Better Driving Day'.

Although I am running on road tyres I fully support those wishing to use 'R' tyres. Having competed in motorsport for 18 yrs I know that R tyres are better suited to track driving. I use road tyres on my M3 at te Ring where they have held up very well (I believe due to the nature of the circuit), however, 8 laps of Castle Combe last year took the fronts from being half worn to nearly illegal. I expect someone will accuse me of overdriving my car or similiar but I do not believe that to be the case. I know that had I been using R tyres this would not have happened.

Regarding transferring knowledge gained on BDD/ track days to road driving and the use of R tyres.....if you argue that using R tyres gives you a false impression that cannot be the same as road tyres on the road, then you also have to say that using the correct driving/racing line on track is also false as you can't go taking the line on the road without crossing the white line. Unless you know the road exceptionally well you won't know the apex anyway and you are unlikely to have a clear view of all the corner. In this day and age it is virtually inpossible to use any of our cars anywhere near their limits on the road anyway without the attention of the police/ cameras etc.

Hmm....this seemed so much easier to put into words when talking to the missus, trying to write what I mean is frustrating

Whatever.........I'll see you guys at Rockingham

Oh..one final thing, as mentioned,I'm only doing one session, do I still need to be there before 8.30,is there only one drivers briefing?

Cheers
therealmccoy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-March-2004 at 20:50
Just to add my bit to a couple of points made:
I did my first track day when I was 19, in an E30 M3. I leart so much in one day, I never had any problems with drivers bullying me or driving dangerously.
My third track day was at Donington with the Car Club - I was 20. My car wasn't warm enough to go out with the Novice group that I should have been in, so I had to go out in the Advanced group. I was out with better driven, more powerfull or race cars all day, I didn't pass anyone - so what? I found that the better drivers were safer, they were always considerate when passing - waited for me to indicate (I did promptly) never had any issues with people being agressive - if it wasn't safe to pass, they didn't try. However, the Novice group were all close together - dangerously close in my opinion. The quicker drivers caught the slower ones, then they either didn't have the confidence or wern't signalled past. Result: A group of cars all in a train - if one person misses a breaking point a BIG smash.

Surely a bad driver will be as dangerous/bad on R compounds as they are on road tyres?? A tyre doesn't make a bad driver...

James
Work Harder! A Million Benefit Claimants Depend On YOU!

E30 M3, The REAL McCoy!

89 M3 Now Sold

99 323i *FOR SALE*

PC Probs?? Click here!
grant w View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-March-2004 at 21:03
thanks nick
there's no time left to organise wheels and tyres , all i wanted was a YES or a NO , then i could have got another set of wheels and tyres , just put a new set of S02's on the e30 m3 so there's no way i'm ruining them on the track , if i get excluded it'll still be cheaper then taking a day off work and buying another set of wheels and tyres , or ruining my new S02's , we'll see what happens ..
m3moose
you got the same paper work as me , mine arrived last saturday ..

Edited by grant w

www.redevom3.co.uk
1989 e30 m3 2.5
1996 e36 m3 evo , sold
2002 e46 m3 smg .
mmm-five View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2004 at 10:17

How far down this road do you go?

If this means that while P-Zero Corsas, Pilot Sport Cups, D01J, A048R, etc tyres are not allowed bue to their increased grip, then do you ban every tyre that is not a crappy £10 'Penang Ultima Supergrip MX2' because the £150 Pilot Sport PS2 has twice as much grip?

Of course not, but that is what this is boiling down to. You are trying to make an abitrary judgement based on a flawed argument.

I think I'll stick to 'proper' track days then - BookaTrack for me! Simple tyre rules...road legal tyres (whatever compound) are fine, if you use proper 'sticky' (non road legal) tyres then you need a cage in the car and you tend to go out in the advanced session only - and if you are new to track days and not known to the Bookatrack team then they will keep a close eye on you until they feel you can be trusted.

Nick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2004 at 19:13
Dear Mmm.
The trackday organisation you mention work to our time proven format. They use a lot of our instructors and we tend to have a lot of the same members.
They do indeed rightly or wrongly allow a wider tyre choice.. but they do cater for a slightly different market.. they are not club based, but were set up to sell trackdays and make a profit from them like any other comercial organisation..
Our brief is simply to break even on the cost of the event.
You seem to praise them highly but forget that we had a part in the way they (and others) have evolved.. some may say that we taught them all they know.

I forgot my briefing notes at Croft a few years back.. Bookatrack helped me out by faxing some of theirs over!

The tyre thing is set to rage on.. I can see it splitting the club. Most of you know my feelings on the issue. I love the Car Club and I love Croft, I hate the bad feeling this issue is causing.
When I started Croft way back in '96.. no one had stickies, Yoko A510's were the choice of many.. slicks were not allowed on road cars.. and everything was hunky dory..

.. I'm rambling again, should be doing my VAT return instead..

Have a good day at Rocky tomorrow.. If you want to find out more about Croft'04 Kevin or Grant should be there to tell you all about it.

Nick Wright
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-March-2004 at 16:55
Originally posted by therealmccoy therealmccoy wrote:

Just to add my bit to a couple of points made:.....(edited)........

Surely a bad driver will be as dangerous/bad on R compounds as they are on road tyres?? A tyre doesn't make a bad driver...

James

James,
Well said - it's horses for courses.

I did my 1st BDD with BMWCC today at the ROCK, and the experienced drivers were very kind to us novices - thanks guys!

I have a bog-standard E30 M3, was out on my normal road tyres, and boy did they complain?!

So, at the end of the day, putting "Sticky tyres" on ANY car will improve it for the track - even mine, more stable, responsive...etc.

BUT,it's always down to the "Nut behind the wheel", and it doesn't matter what tyres they use, some of them will STILL fall off
Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
B 7 VP View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-March-2004 at 18:52

This Subject!!!!!!!!! as if you didnt know-is going to Run & Run.Some heated comments,some spot on . ME-Yoko,s A048R,s-Just cool it for 30 secs.At The "Rock"we talked about " Performance Better Driving Days",as it WAS!!!!!!!, and as it  NOW is!.Very Few of you know why the BMW Car Club GB,  has to comply with to-days constant threat of  litigation and being SUED for Megga Bucks, because Dude BOY wanted to prove something, at a PBDD on Track. The insurance world is all about RISK factors, and if claims for a particular type of event start to increase, ALARM bells go off, and shut down begins.So, the Pro,s of the Industry say, "SPEED" is the Problem!!!(So, where did you hear that before).The "Stickies" are the easy option, like  Scamera,s.Insurance companies say, IF you do NOT take action, we will not insure the Club.The club must decide , Yes-No.SO, before your Blood pressure starts to get megga,like mine, FOCUS your anger on the Insurance Industry and life as it IS in 2004, NOT-- the Club good Guys & Girls, for them -its A No-WIN situation.

SAFETYFAST

John W View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-March-2004 at 12:05
Originally posted by B 7 VP B 7 VP wrote:

This Subject!!!!!!!!! as if you didnt know-is going to Run & Run.Some heated comments,some spot on . ME-Yoko,s A048R,s-Just cool it for 30 secs.At The "Rock"we talked about " Performance Better Driving Days",as it WAS!!!!!!!, and as it  NOW is!.Very Few of you know why the BMW Car Club GB,  has to comply with to-days constant threat of  litigation and being SUED for Megga Bucks, because Dude BOY wanted to prove something, at a PBDD on Track. The insurance world is all about RISK factors, and if claims for a particular type of event start to increase, ALARM bells go off, and shut down begins.So, the Pro,s of the Industry say, "SPEED" is the Problem!!!(So, where did you hear that before).The "Stickies" are the easy option, like  Scamera,s.Insurance companies say, IF you do NOT take action, we will not insure the Club.The club must decide , Yes-No.SO, before your Blood pressure starts to get megga,like mine, FOCUS your anger on the Insurance Industry and life as it IS in 2004, NOT-- the Club good Guys & Girls, for them -its A No-WIN situation.

SAFETYFAST

The issue of insurance is covered in this month's Circuit Driver.
The ATDO (Association of Track Day Organisers) have come up with a solution with the insurance broker Alexander Forbes and the MSA. They did this because insurance premiums were going up and threatening to make all track days unviable. The real killer for track day organisers seems to be public liability insurance, but the new insurance package from the ATDO has this covered.
Oh yes......and no where does is say that under the new system, track day participants must not use sticky tyres.
grant w View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-March-2004 at 17:13
No trackday tyres at a bmw BDD .

that does'nt include slicks then ?? ..

www.redevom3.co.uk
1989 e30 m3 2.5
1996 e36 m3 evo , sold
2002 e46 m3 smg .
Don't Lift View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-March-2004 at 17:55

Well the answer is in there somewhere.

Do a proper track day rather than this namby pamby stuff.

www.track-action.co.uk

Get a few of you going and you have your own mini-enthusiast's day.  You'll be up against Murcialagos, 205 GTis, EVOs, Cossies, a few race cars, Ferraris etc 

They have an on-site mechanic and tyre changing facilities for £20 all day as often as you like.  They can even sell you ex-touring car warm up slicks for the price of a cheap bag of chips or the Micjelin boys will sell you a new set.

Drive on road tyres, slicks, gravel whatever you want.  Just drive safely and meet some great people.

Free instruction all day

Nick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-March-2004 at 18:56
Sounds like one of my days at Croft.. but more expensive!

Nick, Croft'04

£140
open pit,
maximum 50 entries
Plenty of instruction foc
Proper Yorkshire pub lunch (not a burger van)
The best briefing, marshaling and schooling setup bar none.
Porsches, Ginettas and Mini Coopers for hire
Full use of pit lane facilites.
parts van and mechanic.
The best Driver of the Day trophy you ever saw.. puts the FA Cup to shame!
BMWCC members only.. run by club members.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic