Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Scottish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWhile I've been gone...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
(Former) Scottish Region Wean

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sailorbaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: While I've been gone...
    Posted: 25-August-2016 at 03:12
Some of you may know (NeilR) but I've been busy with this...

M Roadster my Dad bought in 2001 from CoPart after the insurance had paid out due to a dashboard fire.

I have a few photos of when we got the car home back in 2001 but can't put my finger on them at the moment. Here are some photos of more recent times, now we've bitten the bullet and started working on it.

I got it home to Northern Ireland and started the task of pulling it apart. Needless to say, a hammer and some decent sized crowbars were needed.

And this is how she sits now (Apr 2014) after cleaning and pulling out all damaged stuff other than the look

Got all the parts I need gathered up now including blue/black dash, dials, centre consoles, carpets everything but forked out for a brand new look from BMW which come in on Monday.

Final photo for now...

My Car

2004 M3 CSL and 2009 E90 M3
Sponsored Links

sailorbaz View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sailorbaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-August-2016 at 03:13
Thing is with buying the new loom direct from BMW (1 of only 2 left in Germany) is it comes with all connectors, including the full Fusebox with all fuses. It should be straight forward enough feeding the cable through as I disconnect the old one. Once the Fusebox is bolted in, the engine bay connectors should be easy, the difficulty will be routing to all the correct places in the interior. Things like, rear speakers, gear knob lamp and all the wee bits like that. The bulk of the damage was around the heater box, which only has a few connections.

I'm excited about getting it back on the road and as we get close to the end will no doubt be online looking for photos and some of the smaller, nigly parts.

Cheers,
Barry

My Car

sailorbaz View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sailorbaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-August-2016 at 03:13
16th June 2014

Dad was over last week with some more parts so we managed to get loads done, mostly successful. 

Starting removing the old loom, trying to photograph as much as possible for correct tracing and routing. 

The new loom waiting to go in. 

Some more of the old loom waiting to come out. 

Crash bar removed. 

Boot wiring

Dad painting blasted and primed crash bar

Painted crash bar fitted. Sound deadening material used from another car. New one cost £80 and would take 2 weeks to come from Germany. 

New roof fitted. 

Carpets starting to go in

Front half of carpet is in to, along with Heater box, window wiper motor just not taken any photos yet. 

I've got all lights, indicators, heater motor, window wiper motor, washer pumps and clocks going.  No ABS lights now that controller has been fitted, got Airbag lights though more than likely lack of seats. 

Fuel pump not working though, after draining the tank and finding a very tacky substance at the bottom of the tank and in the fine mesh filter, so now on the hunt for a fuel pump. I can get to the pump once the carpets are in though, so I'm continuing to box everything up. Will get the dash and centre console in today hopefully, and clean up the seats for fitting the PAX seat once dry. Getting close. 

It won't crank at all though, get dash lights but no cranking. On reading the codes we get error 66 which after some googling is suggesting 'Anti-theft system', immobilisor? I think the key I have has lost the code, so more computer wizardry is needed soonest. Waiting to get it mostly boxed up though before getting it connected. 

Right better go, sun is out over here in NI, just wish the car was done now.  :squeeze:

Edited by sailorbaz - 25-August-2016 at 03:25

My Car

sailorbaz View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sailorbaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-August-2016 at 03:14
17th June 2014

Weathers been very good the last few days so I've got loads done. 

Interior getting in

Couple of photos of the underneath while I was changing the fuel filter. Couldn't believe how clean the underneath of the gearbox is.

Old centre console beside cleaned replacement

Centre console getting there. 

Quick question though. Switches on the centre console, can someone tell me the 5 switches that go under the dials? 

Heated seats x 2, roof switch, AC/Recirc, what's the last one? Wee led? 

Next step is new chassis number for dashboard and then window in, bonnet on ready for coding on Monday.

Cheers, 
Barry

Edited by sailorbaz - 25-August-2016 at 03:25

My Car

sailorbaz View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sailorbaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-August-2016 at 03:16
21st June 2014

Over the last few days, received my new fuel pump so got that fitted.
Was going to go for an uprated one since a new one is over £300 but Dad sourced one from a breaker and sent it over for me, £40. 

Changed the Oil filter since I'd heard that Oil Filters that have lay in cars for such long periods of time can break up once the car is running. 
Old filter from 2000

Thought it looked ok but for £8 you can't go wrong. 

Oil looks clean enough for now.. but once running, will be changed fairly soon afterwards. 

New filter in

Drying the wee carpet that goes behind the seats under the roof after a thorough washing. 

Windscreen Fitted, thanks to Murray Motors of Magherafelt. 

All the jigsaw behind the seats built up after confirming the roof doesn't leak

Bonnet fitted once again, needs a clean. Pencilled in for today. 

Should get the interior finished off this afternoon, washed and ready to go to get the immobiliser and all lined up once again... I hope.

Edited by sailorbaz - 25-August-2016 at 03:26

My Car

sailorbaz View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sailorbaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-August-2016 at 03:16
23rd June 2014

Had thought about changing the oil before running it but would end up having to change again after a couple of hundred miles. After looking at the oil in the filter and on the dipstick, I decided against it.

Got the car all built up over the weekend and gave it it's first clean in 13 years and I'm pleased to say it come up very well after a quick wash.

All finished

Now it's away to get the immobiliser sorted and hope to get a call later on today  telling me it's running but I'm not holding my breath.

Left off Sunday afternoon 22nd June 2014

Edited by sailorbaz - 25-August-2016 at 03:26

My Car

sailorbaz View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sailorbaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-August-2016 at 03:18
16th July 2014

SHE'S RUNNING!!!

He got her running over the weekend there and it appears to have been the clocks stopping it from running. He tells me he hasn't coded the clocks, somehow got the immobiliser and all lined up without the clocks, installed the clocks again and it's starting everytime, on the button.

My only worry is that tamper dot now. I've asked him to have the mileage corrected and let me know about the tamper dot. He still insists used clocks cannot be recoded and new ones are £700 but I feel I may be contacting John Leacock for further advice.

Well chuffed is an understatement, he says she's running like a dream. Hard to believe it's sat for 13 years, without electrical power never mind run.

Happy days.

My Car

sailorbaz View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sailorbaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-August-2016 at 03:19
24th July 2014

Not much of an update but today I spoke to the mechanic who still has the car. He told me he had the car out for a 'test' drive and tells me it's going well, everything very tight as it should be for a 4000 mile car. Gearbox, clutch and even brakes felt ok although the brakes do need some use/tidying up which is on the list of things to do when I get home. There is a slight wobble coming from the rear but I put that down to a badly buckled wheel on the N/S rear which will be repaired during refurbing. 

Even electro/hydraulic the roof is working fine. 

I've got it booked into another guy to get the clocks and LCM all coded up and she'll be ready for the MOT. 

Oh, also found out tonight that I might be getting off here 2 days early, so that's a bonus.

My Car

sailorbaz View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sailorbaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-August-2016 at 03:19
5th Aug 2014

Well, time for another update.

Got the car home today, starting and driving well. Nice and straight apart from a slight wobble at 60mph, which I'm putting down to a bad ding in one of the back wheels, which I'm been told will repair.

I shaped at overhauling the brakes this afternoon. Got new pads but knew the discs were in good shape, just needing a scratch with some 120 emery pads on a grinder. One side done...

Rear disc with caliper removed

Handbrake shoes are original (1998) and like new...

Front drivers side with all off

Rear drivers side finished

Front drivers side done

Once the brakes are done, couple of other wee things including that back wheel but main thing is to get mileage corrected before booking it in for an MOT.

Once she's MOT'd, I'll use her until the weather breaks and then do the wheels over the winter.

My Car

sailorbaz View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sailorbaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-August-2016 at 03:20
4th Sept 2014

Well guys, now I'm on my way back offshore thought I'd take a couple of minutes to let you know how the car got on at the MOT. 

Very little to say really, she sailed through her 1st ever MOT with only 4479 miles on her, now taxed with a further 300 miles on the clocks, she hasn't missed a beat.

Slipped a new battery in her yesterday since I felt starting was a bit sluggish from time to time but now flashing up straight away every time. 

Plans for next leave include tidying up the wheels of a few kerb marks and sorting the paintwork since receiving a few storage dings over the 13 years of storage.

My Car

sailorbaz View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sailorbaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-August-2016 at 03:22
Oct 2014

Decided to head away a wee night last weekend and at the last minute, decided to this the Roadster, even though it was pouring down, I fancied stretching it's legs.

Car was faultless and preformed great when pushed on. Must get a wind deflector though, it was a good laugh for a while but she started to get annoyed with the hair blowing about the place. Bobble required, lol

Middle of nowhere... Last few miles before arriving at Downings, County Donegal.

Note the jacket on even though heated seat and stove was on full tilt

Pipes!

Downings, Co Donegal.

Wee bar in a place called 'Glen', had to stop and try their Gunness, needless to say, my wife drove the rest of the way.

Wee place called the 'Singing Bar' near Downing. Good spot.

Apart from the weather, great weekend. Clutch is SHOCKING heavy though, must get a braided pipe fitted soon.

Edited by sailorbaz - 25-August-2016 at 03:22

My Car

sailorbaz View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sailorbaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-August-2016 at 03:23
Aug 2016

I thought since it'd been nearly 2 years since I updated this thread, I would update it with a couple of new photos and a mechanical update. 

Got the little lady out for a spin quickly but once I realised you can't deactivated the passenger airbag, I decided against it. Excuse the 2 series active tourer, it was my local dealers idea of joke while the CSL was in getting a power steering line replaced. 

Dug the car out for the first this year, which I am ashamed to admit but lets be honest, the Summer has been garbage and the good days have been used doing other constructive things about the house, or I've been stuck offshore. Got it washed ready for this years MOT which is passed having covered 42 miles since the last MOT. 
Fleet photos...  :D 

I did have the car out one day a fortnight ago and it really was such a nice day, I thought the car could do with AC. Popped into my friendly tyre place, Tyre Safety centre of Cookstown who agreed to fill the system with oil/gas taking about 45 minutes to see if we could get the AC to work. I was watching the wee machine do it's business with a keen eye during the vacuum test. It took the system down to -990mb and held it there for 2 minutes with it fluctuating between -956mb and -991mb which passed the test before oiling and gassing the system up. 

Once fully gassed, to say i was chuffed to feel very cold air from the vents, hear the load on the engine with the compressor and see the extra fan spinning away is an understatement, had to call Dad to give him the good news. Left the car for a few days while at a family members wedding, come back the Sunday evening to move the little car and it was still very cold so only time will tell. Considering I had the matrix apart inside the car, I was surprised at no leaks (so far) but then it is only 2 connections with one screw if I remember correctly.

Little lady using it as a climbing frame while I try to weather proof the roof.

Other than that, must overhaul the front brakes again as I think the drivers caliper is sticking again. And seriously considering new discs all round as I think a front one is warped due to aforementioned sticky caliper. Bodywork still needs freshened up and wheels need done, and braided clutch line to be fitted. Winter project perhaps. Just enjoying the wee car, still turns some heads for an older lady and can still shift when it wants to.

My Car

kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-August-2016 at 22:41
Excellent write ups baz
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
Inept View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inept Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2016 at 13:42
Originally posted by kbannon kbannon wrote:

Excellent write ups baz

Very good - how you blokes manage to find the time and the skill/knowledge to carry such restoration work is admirable.So well done from me!
tsk
sailorbaz View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sailorbaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2016 at 09:14
Cheers Guys, I work offshore so (used to) have plenty time to do this sort of thing, before baby come along. 

My Car

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic