Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Scottish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedorange cogwheel on dash

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: orange cogwheel on dash
    Posted: 23-November-2014 at 19:30
Due to various circumstances I have not had any time to use the vert lately, so in the last 2-3 months its really not had the chance to stretch its legs,was last used on the 14th when I drove it 10mins down the road to get it mot'd, which it passed with flying colours.
today I drove it out the garage gave it a good wash and dried off before the rain came on, I selected drive from park position and as I went to move forward motor lacked power, looked at dash and the orange cogwheel was on dash,so I turned car off and back on and it was ok put it in garage and moved auto selector through the range and it went back to cog sign again which I assume is safe mode, later tonight I have started it and gave it a blast down the motorway and all was fine running like a dream,now I know I will get it checked for codes as it could be various sensors or worse the ecu, but with the battery only really getting used for nearly zero mileage could that have caused an issue? with more regular longer journeys would the problem still occur again?
Sponsored Links

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2014 at 08:56
Yeah, low battery power can be a cause of the transmission warning light to come on.  Not driving the car for very far very often is never going to be good for the battery.

What car have you got? 

When the battery was faulting on my first E60, the dash fired off transmission warnings.

My E39 had intermittent transmission warning lights coming on.  I needed some solenoids replacing, £700 later and it was fine. 

Take it to Mackies Transmissions at Tollcross in the East End of Glasgow and get the codes read, BMW will be clueless as to whats wrong and even more clueless on how to fix it for you.  They would only swap in/out whole gearboxes!
Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
BillyP View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2014 at 13:06
Car is e46 b3s,so far all is well, but giving car to owen ferry to check out this week.
Cambell View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2014 at 15:22
Here's hoping it was just a low battery Billy
BillyP View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2014 at 16:55
Just back from owens and only one fault came up, tested both tranny and engine side of things, it's a faulty transmission switch, so booked in for next week and they will check it out, so will take that as a result of sorts.
Funny enough car is running spot on.
Cambell View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2014 at 17:04
Far be it for me to disagree with a garage but I think I'd want the fault to manifest itself again to double check before parting with hard earned. 

Maybe they've seen this exact thing before and this is the known fix ??
BillyP View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2014 at 17:18
Was watching the codes come up Cambell and have a print out, I would normally agree with you on this, but this is the one garage that would not rip me off, trust them 100pc,but they will double check before taking it further, though the car will get used right up to then,if it not returned the fault then maybe depending on price I might put it off till it appears again.
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2014 at 17:21
Good so hopefully an easy cheap fix. Do you know if it's an external type switch? Like the switch that prevents you starting the car in anything other than P or N? An internal switch in the mechatronics would be a different beast!
Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
BillyP View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2014 at 17:42
Sure when we were talking he said its on the outside, the print out doesn't elaborate.
Cambell View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2014 at 18:32
Originally posted by BillyP BillyP wrote:

Was watching the codes come up Cambell and have a print out, I would normally agree with you on this, but this is the one garage that would not rip me off, trust them 100pc,but they will double check before taking it further, though the car will get used right up to then,if it not returned the fault then maybe depending on price I might put it off till it appears again.
Yeah Billy, I know they are reputable, hence my 2nd line. 

Its just that as an engineer myself and having worked on thousands of intermittent faults, a fault is only a fault when its faulty. Tie that in with experience of BMW electrics and what Andrew says above about low battery voltage through lack of use rings bells aswell.
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2014 at 18:59
Originally posted by Cambell Cambell wrote:

a fault is only a fault when its faulty.
Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
BillyP View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2014 at 19:34
Originally posted by Cambell Cambell wrote:

Originally posted by BillyP BillyP wrote:

Yeah Billy, I know they are reputable, hence my 2nd line. 

Its just that as an engineer myself and having worked on thousands of intermittent faults, a fault is only a fault when its faulty. Tie that in with experience of BMW electrics and what Andrew says above about low battery voltage through lack of use rings bells aswell.

Totally get your point mate,trying to save me a few bob on something that may not happen again, my worry would be when I use the car its normally a right good run,so would hate to be left say hundreds of miles from home.
low battery voltage was my first thought at the time it happened,but can that also not mess with the ecu and cause problems?i'm not sure but have heard this from others,guess its an idea to replace the battery regular on a car that's not a daily runner,the tranny switch is 3c which appears to be the external one, will run car all week and if nothing further develops I may put it off till crimbos past, then that also gives me even more time to see if fault appears again
BillyP View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-November-2014 at 19:49
Going with what you think Cambell have driven car every day and down to Carlisle today and no problem at all, driving spot on so think I'll save my cash,if it ever happened again then I'll stick it in for repair
Cambell View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-November-2014 at 20:00
Good news
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic