Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Scottish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedE39,E61 Touring

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johne46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: E39,E61 Touring
    Posted: 12-November-2014 at 20:47
Hi been looking for a new work horse BMW Touring  (SAAB IS UP FOR SALE) LOL need room for the dog 

Bit stuck has i do like the E61 525d but there is one or two down south that are E39s and they look fab

I even went to see a E39 525d near me was Β£3500 with just 90,000 on the clock FBMWSH!!! was a lots of rust/ clean but it was just starting to brake out on the front wings sills 

Now i know its not going be a new car at that price but i have seen better 

Is there anyone out there had E39s or even a E60 E61 touring can tell me what to look out for 

I know what to look for in bodywork service and books even the chat about swirl flaps!!!

Any more info would be a help on any of the 2  Embarrassed

M3 Evo 4 door
Sponsored Links

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2014 at 07:44
Air suspension at the back end can be expensive to fix. Not sure if the E39s have it but I think the E61s have it. High mileage and at that age mean the air seals can start to fail. But it's like anything on an old car it might be fine and give you no trouble. The E39 is a good looking car I still miss mine.....
Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Bob P View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2014 at 17:38
E61 diversity amplifier in taigate. Check radio and key remote work ok and all lights etc in tailgate as wiring in hinges can get damaged. Also make sure radiator heats up fairly quickly as thermostats go. Not expensive to buy thermostats but they are a sod to fix. Wiring also difficult to get at in tailgate hinges. Cambell and Paul did mine!u
E61 530D MSport Carbon Black
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-November-2014 at 08:27
Originally posted by Bob P Bob P wrote:

Also make sure radiator heats up fairly quickly as thermostats go.

Which is tricky to tell as the E60/1 don't have engine temperature guages, only the most important gauge in the car but never mind....

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Cambell View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-November-2014 at 10:09
Originally posted by Andrew Rolland Andrew Rolland wrote:

Which is tricky to tell as the E60/1 don't have engine temperature guages, only the most important gauge in the car but never mind....
I agree, its an important guage but the car monitors temperature and would tell you if it was too high. The problem with the coal burners is that the car doesn't get hot enough.

For me, the most important guage is the fuel one !!!! Big smile
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-November-2014 at 12:34
Originally posted by Cambell Cambell wrote:

I agree, its an important guage but the car monitors temperature and would tell you if it was too high. The problem with the coal burners is that the car doesn't get hot enough.

For me, the most important guage is the fuel one !!!! Big smile

That's not quite true Cambell,LOL the coal/oil burners do get hot enough provided you drive them far enough which is why they are costly and pointless on short journeys.

By the time the car has to tell you its too hot, the engine is now ruined and only fit for making tin cans out of.  Which is why you want a temp gauge! The F10 has an oil temp guage which I haven't seen vertical on my Dads F10 3.0d unless I have driven it for 15 miles on the M'way.

Fuel guage, lol, you get a big warning light for that one when it wants filling up.....which at 22mpg is quite often for me at the moment!

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-November-2014 at 15:56

... the coal/oil burners do get hot enough provided you drive them far enough which is why they are costly and pointless on short journeys

Coal burning cars? maybe back in the 1880's
Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
Cambell View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-November-2014 at 17:05

That's not quite true Cambell,LOL the coal/oil burners do get hot enough provided you drive them far enough which is why they are costly and pointless on short journeys.
Which is why you replace the thermostat which stays closed until a higher temperature allowing them to get hot enough and more fuel efficient so.......true !!Wink

Bob, tell him !LOL
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-November-2014 at 21:28
So Who's got you liking DIEsels then Mr M5?

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Bob P View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-November-2014 at 05:47
Common fault on E60/61 OIL burners is they do not heat up quick enough due to failed thermostats. Fairly easily rectified by replahcing them both. Lack of temp guage is a pain in the 4rse but good guide is how quickly you get warm air out of the heater. Another guide is fuel comsumption. I get about 34 average with a mixture of running. This drops to about the same as Andrews V8 when the thermostats have failed. If the thermostats are ok the engine heats up fairly quickly even on short runs meaning the cold start device switches off and the dreaded dpf gets hot.
E61 530D MSport Carbon Black
big dovit View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big dovit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-November-2014 at 17:08
Whit have the been telt get rid of the dug don't need estate then unless yer common to mine to clear the garageπŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-November-2014 at 18:31
Originally posted by big dovit big dovit wrote:

Whit have the been telt get rid of the dug don't need estate then unless yer common to mine to clear the garageπŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

Huh? Much too Scottie for me! :(

Andrew? Translation please?? Thanks

But don't care.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2014 at 13:06
Nae chance Pitsy, you're not special enough, besides wouldn't want to go off topic.LOL

Rather than get rid of said four legged friend, put the dog on the back seat with a blanket or sheet and get a saloon?  I think you can get a BMW accessory for a cover over the back seats, it fits on the rear of the front seats and then forms like a trough in the back seat to protect your trim. Probably v expensive though.

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
johne46 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johne46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-November-2014 at 10:28
Thanks for all the info love the look of a E39 but starting to go in the 525i E61 side of things

I did go and look at a E39 525d at 1st looked ok but body was starting to go on every wing
Then one came up for sale on the web,E39 525 M Sport black Touring looked very good in the pics

So after 3 calls and emails asking all the right stuff and body work was ok, i got up at 6am to head down south a 600+mil round trip to see this
were 3 Tupperware boxes struck together what i think they where used for cooling system??..it was like a kid had made this up was almost ready to hit the t**t , asked him so many times to send more pics, anyway we now think it was to stop a smoking engine? i have emailed the pics to BMW Stirling to see what they think it is 
So still on the hunt lol

M3 Evo 4 door
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-November-2014 at 12:40
That's got walk/run away written all over it.  I've never seen such a Heath Robinson arrangement.  It appears to be conencted to the inlet manifold between the MAF and the throttle butterfly valve.  It's on the vacuum side of the system....Um

I can't think what on earth that would be for.  The fact that one of the boxes is broken would be letting air into the throttle butterfly valve after normal air has been metered would mean that the engine would not run right.

I would love to hear what the dealer says.

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
johne46 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johne46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-November-2014 at 13:07

Nae chance Pitsy, you're not special enough, besides wouldn't want to go off topic.LOL

Rather than get rid of said four legged friend, put the dog on the back seat with a blanket or sheet and get a saloon?  I think you can get a BMW accessory for a cover over the back seats, it fits on the rear of the front seats and then forms like a trough in the back seat to protect your trim. Probably v expensive though.

Well i have the 9-3 and thats a saloon so on point getting other one when i have a 4door M3?
If i was going to get new car be one for doing all the stuff i need it to do , like taking the dog , my bike kids stuff the tip runs, cleaning out ones garage lol Wink 

M3 Evo 4 door
johne46 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johne46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-November-2014 at 13:19

That's got walk/run away written all over it.  I've never seen such a Heath Robinson arrangement.  It appears to be conencted to the inlet manifold between the MAF and the throttle butterfly valve.  It's on the vacuum side of the system....Um

I can't think what on earth that would be for.  The fact that one of the boxes is broken would be letting air into the throttle butterfly valve after normal air has been metered would mean that the engine would not run right.

I would love to hear what the dealer says.

It was Alan in Stirling i was chatting to when i was picking up lights for the M3, i told him what i seen on Saturday (had the pics with me) 
the sales man Angry Adam!!! he told me that this was the 1st time he looked at the engine and that he was sorry?

I told him that if he did not get away from me i was going to do something very bad and he was just ripping the pee out of me words where said and he wet away for 10mins 
By this time i left and with in 10mins he called to do some sort of deal lol,
was thing of head back to show him what we do to sales man like that!!!!Ouch

M3 Evo 4 door
gary View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Just Call me Wendy ;-)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-November-2014 at 17:42
Holy 5h1t batman.

This has obviously been mucked about with blue peter stylee.

Making you come all the way down to Coventry knowing it was like that is out of order.

My 4r5e he hadn't seen under the engine before.

Shocking backstreet shenanigans if you ask me

johne46 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johne46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-November-2014 at 18:22
Originally posted by gary gary wrote:

Holy 5h1t batman.

This has obviously been mucked about with blue peter stylee.

Making you come all the way down to Coventry knowing it was like that is out of order.

My 4r5e he hadn't seen under the engine before.

Shocking backstreet shenanigans if you ask me

I have had a look Gary he has been posting for some years now sealing cars
so he well knows about the engine Angry
Lucky he did not get you know what!!!Dead

M3 Evo 4 door
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-November-2014 at 18:42
Originally posted by johne46 johne46 wrote:

.. I have a 4door M3
Err, no actually you don't

But don't care.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic