FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedLeaking Boot / Battery Tray E30 M3

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leaking Boot / Battery Tray E30 M3
    Posted: 12-January-2003 at 10:23
Can anyone help. I discovered yesterday that I have water in my battery tray in the boot/trunk. I also found a light grey plastic tube disconnected at one end...appears to continue under the battery tray (no wonder I have misted rear window)

Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links

M3Moose View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2003 at 15:02

Yeah, me too. Found loads of condensation on the inside of the boot lid as well, maybe came off a that.

Also had wet passenger front footwell...thought I'd sorted that last year (cleaned out the blocked drain on the bulkhead) but obviously not.

Stuck a dehumidifer inside the car to dry that out but it won't fit in the boot.

Nostrils View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2003 at 15:54

Moose, I have found my problems after checking the seating of the rear light clusters.  On the battery side, the gasket was squashed and damp in one corner....I looked further down the 'well' and all of the battery area is a block of ice.  Will get 2 new gaskets tomorrow and see if leaks still occur.

Other forums told me to look at the seating of the rear screens too, mine appears to be fine.  Also, the seating and quality of the boot seal, again mine was fine.

As for your problems, Are you loosing coolant?  If so, you may have a minute hole/crack in your heater matrix, especially near where the pipework enters the bulkhead from the engine as this part is plastic....

Also, the wiring loom which enters the car from the engine at one point with a semi-screw-on connection - Is yours seating correctly.

Else, I am stuck on your leak (Which I did have a year ago....now you say that I am gonna have to check mine again).

Good Luck, keep the board posted for future reference,

i

Phil N

Howard View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Did I say thaaaat?

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2003 at 16:31

If you have a sliding roof, it drains through a plastic pipe which should exit throught the floor of the boot compartment. To test, pour water carefully round the open sliding roof. You will soon find out if that is the problem.

1963 700 LS
1988 635 CSi
1990 M635 CSi no longer!
2001 E38 728i Individual

http://www.tyneships.co.uk
Nostrils View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2003 at 16:39

Thanks Howard, fortunately my M3 is without a sunroof as I have aircon (German import originally). A little less electrics etc to worry about.

i

Phil N

M3Moose View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2003 at 20:58

Nostrils.....nah my coolant level is fine, I'd already checked the heater matrix. Will check out that loom connector though.

Howard....interesting about that pipe, would that be the same pipe that nostrils and I have found in the battery compartment? Mine appears to be coming from under the battery then pointing upwards connecting to nothing.Too dark to see now but should it be connected to something?

Nostrils View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2003 at 20:41

Moose, I have found out that the grey small diameter pipe going nowhere is for a BMW battery and its the vent pipe....so ETK CD points out (Mobile Tradition Parts CD)

Phil

M3Moose View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-January-2003 at 21:48

Ahh, thats most useful. Spent ages today probing around and under the car trying to find what that small bore pipe was supposed to do. I had already found the (larger bore) pipe that Howard had mentioned. Great thats one thing less to worry about.

Wayne

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic