Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > 'How To Do'
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFord Focus MkII ISOFIX installation.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ford Focus MkII ISOFIX installation.
    Posted: 18-May-2014 at 10:23
How to fit rear ISOFIX to a Ford Focus MkII 2005-2011 model

Tools you will need (I used anyway..)

Long nose pliers
Large flat blade screwdriver
Torx T50 key or socket bit
3/8” drive torque wrench to measure 40Nm.

This is for an installation on a MkII Focus, in this case our 2007 model.

The MkII Ford Focus does not come with factory fitted rear ISOFIX mounting points, they are a no cost option when specifying the vehicle when bought new. They can however be retro fitted quite easily. I suspect that if you did spec them on a new Focus, it would be down to the dealer you bought it from to fit them rather than being fitted on the production line.

I bought the ISOFIX bracket from my local Ford dealer £16.50.

This is what you get from the Ford dealer.

Taken out of the bag you have the ISOFIX bar, two T50 Torx mounting bolts and two sleeves.

The back seat of the car before fitting.

Flip up the rear seat bench cushion to get access to the mounting bolt location. There are two rubber grommets fitted into the chassis rail to block off the holes where the mounting bolts locate.

The grommets are located under the rear seat backrest cushion which are identified by the ends of the two screwdrivers in the photo above.

Prise up the rubber grommets and pull them out with a pair of long nose pliers.

Grommets should look like this when they are removed.

Fit the bracket with the two Torx bolts. The ISOFIX plate is ‘L’ shaped, the ‘L’ points rearwards, the toe of the ‘L’ is bolted down and the leg of ‘L’ which is the ISOFIX anchors points upwards against the rear seat backrest cushion.

You can see in the photo above that I am having to push the rear seat cushion backrest quite firmly to get in to tighten the bolt. The mounting bolts have thread lock already on the threads which makes the bolt stiff to turn. I wasn’t completely satisfied that I wasn’t cross threading the bolts when I was tightening it as I was having to the fight against the cushion with my T50 Torx bit so I decided to lift out the rear seat cushion backrest to give me a bit more room to work to ensure that I didn’t cross thread the bolt.

You don’t need to completely remove the rear seat cushion backrest. It is held on a pivot bolt on the inboard end and by a locking clip at the door end.

Lower the rear seat cushion backrest down to its horizontal position and at the door side you will see the locking clip.

In the photo above between the two plastic parts of the mount is a small black metal clip that in my case has a bit of white paint on it. Using a screwdriver push this small black metal clip rearwards and then lift up the rear seat backrest cushion. The whole back rest can be lifted up 50-100mm or so at the outer door end and pushed backwards. This gives you enough room to work to tighten the bolts properly.

Bolts tightened. There is no torque given for these mounting bolts so I torqued them to 40Nm which is on a par with what the adjacent seat belt mounting points are torqued to.

Tools used

Close up of the Torx T50 bit I used which was bought as part of this set from Amazon. I bought this not just for this job but to replace a T40 bit I had broken changing my suspension arms.

The completed install. Just ready for baby!

It took me 20-25 minutes to install this and that included taking the above photos so if you get a garage to fix this for you do not expect to pay anywhere more than for 30 minutes labour. I’ve read that people are being quoted well over £100 and in some cases nearly £200 to fit. I don’t know how much my local Ford dealer charges per hour for their labour but including the part (£16.50) I would not expect to pay more than £50 to fit otherwise you are being ripped off as it is a very quick install. I’m not a trained mechanic, just a monkey with a spanner.

Edited by Andrew Rolland - 18-May-2014 at 10:27
Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic