Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Scottish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedTyres and their Energy ratings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tyres and their Energy ratings
    Posted: 27-March-2014 at 12:01
I know talked about tyres a million times on here but I'm looking at getting a couple of new boots for my E60 to wear at the front.

245/40/R18 93Y  currently shod with Dunlop SP Sport 01 Runflats.  These type were fitted by BMW when it rolled of the production line nearly 10 years ago.

From a browse on the old t'interweb, I've learnt that tyres now have an energy rating A to G, just like the do when you buy a fridge!

Now wet braking is improtant to me as is quietness.  Fuel isn't, which is why I drive a V8!  For every 3dB more the tyre is, it is twice as noisy, so a tyre with a rating of 72dB is twice as noisy as a tyre with a rating of 69dB in theory!

Rolling resistance, the difference between A rating and G rating is 6 litres of fuel per 625 miles or for ease of sums 1 litre per hundred miles.

Wet braking, the difference between A rating and G rating is 18m, approx. 3m per energy rating band.

So I could buy a Dunlop SP Sport 01 Runflats for £159 which has a rolling resistance rating of E, wet braking rating of B and noise level of 69dB.

Or I could buy a Conti Sport Contact 5 for £189 which has a rolling resistance rating of C, wet braking rating of B and a noise level of 72dB.  This tyre has the best rolling resistance rating of runflats in this size

Translating all the above and throwing in the price of fuel.  I would need to drive over 7,000 miles more with the Conti than the Dunlop to achieve a saving in fuel.  In theory I wouldn't stop any better and the car would be noiser.  Probably only get 30,000 miles out of the fronts on my car anyway.  So another 7k is pie in the sky I would think.

So why should I buy the more expensive Conti?

Proves that these figures are fairly meaningless when you do some sums!
Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Sponsored Links

vpricey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vpricey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2014 at 15:26
I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to tyres, and it depends on how it looks when its fitted, the Dunlop SP Sportmax tyres were fitted to my M5 when i first got it, and i didn't really like the way it looked. So knowing the way the M3 looked, it was only one tyre for me, the Michelin PS3. I also noticed that the Dunlops had cracked quite severely, that bad you could see the cord! Having heard some good reviews of the Conti's i think that would be the choice for me, a good looking tyre, well known for good handling and grip too. Approve
Paul - '87 E30 325i Sport - '99 E39 M5 - '05 E53 X5
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2014 at 08:17
I was waiting for someone to say "they look good" Cambell had made similar comments on a previous threadLOL.

I think when all said and done at the end of the day, a recommendation is always good as there is hee haw in it when you look at the tyre label.

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Cambell View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2014 at 08:40
Originally posted by Andrew Rolland Andrew Rolland wrote:

I was waiting for someone to say "they look good" Cambell had made similar comments on a previous threadLOL.

I think when all said and done at the end of the day, a recommendation is always good as there is hee haw in it when you look at the tyre label.
Truth be known, the noise of a tyre is immaterial on my car / your car. The noise insulation is such that it is extremely quiet inside anyway.(I'm told my Hayward & Scotts can be heard from a great distance but I can hardly hear them in the car #Annoying!) Performance figures are very similar for Conti and Michelin but I'll never ever track the car so the deciding factor was aesthetics. As I show the car, I chose Michelin because of the two, they are better looking.
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2014 at 10:24
The noise rating of a car tyre is based on a sound meter being placed at a certain distance from a car which passes the mic at 50mph WITH THE ENGINE OFF!   Make of that what you will!  Who drives their car at 50mph with the engine off?

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic