Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > 'How To Do'
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedIgnition Firing Orders

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ignition Firing Orders
    Posted: 07-March-2014 at 14:18
One for the teccies.

When working out the firing order of your engine the phrase Top Dead Centre TDC is referred too.

In all 4 stroke engines there is two revolutions (720 degrees) of the crankshaft per 4 strokes in the power cycle.  This means that for every power cycle the piston is at TDC twice.

In terms of ignition timing etc as the full 4 stroke cycle passes thru 720 degrees......

Is 0 deg TDC always referred to as the point between the compression and the power strokes, i.e. the point of ignition.  Which is one complete revolution (360 degrees) of the crankshaft after that particular piston has started on its 4 stroke cycle.

Or is 0 deg TDC referred to as the point when a particular piston starts its induction stroke at the begining of that particular pistons 4 stroke cycle.

In the days of when cars had ye olde distributors and points, this was all known about, but has lost its way now as cars have a 'puter to tell the sparks when to fire.
Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic