Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedE36 Air Lock

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andybeemer74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: E36 Air Lock
    Posted: 16-February-2014 at 17:43
Hi all I have an E36 323i saloon radiator was leaking so I fitted a new one whilst I had it apart I fitted new water pump and new thermostat. Once all back together I am having a nightmare bleeding the water system. The temp goes up to half way and stays there heaters are blowing cold I have had all hoses off and seem to be getting water to all parts of engine etc. It runs fine temp doesn't go up or down but when I remove radiator cap it throws water up in the air and just keeps pressurising, I took thermostat back out and checked it in a pan of boiling water and its opening fine so im thinking head gasket now although after speaking to a few people apparently they can be a bugger to bleed any help would be appreciated cheers Andy.

Half Jock :-)
Sponsored Links

Robin814 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robin814 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2014 at 17:54
I can't really help you mate. But just to confirm what you say BMW are murder for air locks in the coolant system.
E46 318Ci M Sport 2001 Light Gelb
E39 530I Champagne I Individual Edition 2002
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-February-2014 at 08:22
Yip  The M52 engiens are a nightmare to bleed.  The problem is that the expansion tank level is lower than the top of the water level in the radiator.

Have a read of this post, the second page on how I replaced my water pump in the same engine and then re-filled the system.

I ended up filling the system thru the bleed screws which are on the expansion tank top and the thermostat housing.

From memory TIS (BMW) say to fill the system then leave the expansion tank cap off and sharlpy rev the engine a couple of times with the heater on full.

Recently working on the father in laws 1.6i Volkswagen engine cooling system, we got rid of an air lock by revving the engine, we knew it had air locked as the heater was cold, the pipes to his heater go out of the engine an upwards at the bulkhead then fall down to the heater, but the highest point of the heater hose is again like your BMW, is higher than the expansion tank level.
Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
sailorbaz View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
(Former) Scottish Region Wean

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sailorbaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-April-2014 at 02:16
I remember having similar problems on a 318 a few years ago. Seem to remember removing the top hose from the radiator and filling very slowly helped somewhat. I think you can remove the top hose and rotate it to make pouring water into the engine easier. The secret was filling it very slowly. Also, having it jacket up at the front as said to help getting rid of the air in the system.

I'm sure it is just air in the system, I wouldn't be jumping to head gasket problems just yet.

My Car

2004 M3 CSL and 2009 E90 M3
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic