Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Scottish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBrakes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote e36garry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brakes
    Posted: 25-January-2014 at 22:27
Hi guys,

The time comes when i need new discs and pads. I've looked at AP, Brembo, EBC, and Mtec (who i am not keen on). I also want to investigate the upgrading of the calpers, i've read about the 8 series E31 calipers being used on e46's but after searching realoem.com i can't seem to find measurements. I've read that they are 4 pots so are an affordable upgrade. I don't want to go BBK or anything similar in terms of cost.

I am also going to be upgrading the brake lines to stainless steel and changing the fluid from DOT 4 to DOT 5. So basically im renewing the lot.

Any help would be much appreciated.Thumbs Up

Remember BHP sells cars
Torque wins races!

Sponsored Links

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2014 at 19:14
Um just watch about changing the fluid from DOT 4 to DOT 5 as they are two very different types of fluid and I believe are not compatible. You would need to change every component (inc the master cylinder and ASC/ABS unit) in the brake system or clean it all out to go from DOT 4 to DOT 5. Get that double checked by someone who knows a bit more than me. You don't want to mess with brakes.

Have a read of this from our forum sponsor Opie Oils. They will tell you that the two different grade of brake fluid are incompatible.

Andrew
Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Cambell View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2014 at 19:28
Dot 5 is for non ABS systems so this is not an upgrade and not compatible, apparently it rots the seals. From memory, I think you want Dot 4.4 (or something close)
e36garry View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote e36garry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2014 at 21:55
Cheers for that guys. That could've been a disaster

Remember BHP sells cars
Torque wins races!

vpricey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vpricey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-January-2014 at 16:55
I think you would be surprised at the difference better fluid, braided hoses and uprated pads will do. Try that first. Approve
Paul - '87 E30 325i Sport - '99 E39 M5 - '05 E53 X5
e36garry View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote e36garry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-January-2014 at 20:41
I have opted for Brembo Blank discs and brembo pads along with HEL brake lines (goodridge were a bit too dear and after the rest i'm playing it safe so i see it to payday).

As for fluid, i am not prepared to, nor knowledgeable enough to flush my braking system in order to change the fluid. After reading up on this i have found that not many fluids are made to mix. Black Diamond Super Dot 4.4 will mix but i am skeptical. Ill stick with Mobil One DOT 4 at the minute and see what difference the lines and pads make. 

Cheers guysThumbs Up

Remember BHP sells cars
Torque wins races!

vpricey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vpricey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-January-2014 at 23:05
Well I've opted for ate super blue fluid, Goodridge braided lines and some brake ducts for now, i will up rate pads later.

If you want help with the brakes and fluid, just pop through.
Paul - '87 E30 325i Sport - '99 E39 M5 - '05 E53 X5
e36garry View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote e36garry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-January-2014 at 23:08
It'll be the fluid ill need help with mate, i reckon.

If i'm changing it the i'll need help with the flush of the system cause i'm not clued up on it to be honest

Remember BHP sells cars
Torque wins races!

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-January-2014 at 08:37
It's not too bad a job to change the brake fluid but yeah having a pal or your old boy to help you is good as one man sits and pumps the brake pedal while the other is making sure the brake bleed kit or whatever you use stays in contact with the bleed nipple and so that it doesn't spray brake fluid on your paint work which you most defo don't want to do! 

I use BMW brake fluid as it appears to be about the cheapest to buy plus I know it will be fine, if it is good enough for BMW then its good enough for me.  Its about a tenner per litre from BMW.

You will be or should be changing the brake fluid every two years anyway on BMWs.  Mine has just let me know that it wants new brake fluid, which is rather nice of it.

If you bleed each wheel in turn and keep topping up the master cylinder you will effectively replace the entire fluid in the system but that doesn't mean that you could change over the different types of brake fluid though I don't think.  Old fluid is quite dark in colour like Irn Bru, new fluid is much lighter so you can tell when you have flushed the old stuff out.

Have a read of this post on how I changed my brake fluid on my E60 but will be similar for the E36. 
As long as your bleed nipples aren't corroded into the callipers you should be o.k.  If the fluid has been changed every two years you should get the nipples undone o.k.  I'm going to replace the bleed nipples on mine this time around as they were getting a bit rusty two years ago.

HTH

Andrew

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-January-2014 at 08:42
Originally posted by vpricey vpricey wrote:

I think you would be surprised at the difference better fluid, braided hoses and uprated pads will do. Try that first. Approve

Aye, spot on.  I changed the brake fluid on my E39.  Took it out for a drive. Pressed the brake pedal as I had done before and had to peel my nose off the windscreen!

New fluid, even standard stuff can make a huge difference to the 'feel' of the brake pedal.

Brake fluid absorbs water which can then turn to steam under ahem, cough, enthuisastic braking which then makes the pedal feel soft and spongey.

New brake fluid won't have water in it and will make the difference.  That's why BMW recommend you change the fluid over every two years.

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
e36garry View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote e36garry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-January-2014 at 22:35
It's not the bleeding if the system. It's the flushing of the system
In order to change the fluid I'm using. I've no idea what I would use to flush the old
Stuff

Remember BHP sells cars
Torque wins races!

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-January-2014 at 08:42
Bleeding the brakes would flush the system out, but not to the extent where you could use a different type of fluid that wasn't compatible with the first type.

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
e36garry View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote e36garry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-January-2014 at 22:41
Yeah, that's what i meant Andrew. I know how to bleed the system but i would have no clue where to begin changing the fluid i.e. flushing the system clean of the current fluid, in order to change it.

Edited: I would like to change the fluid, funnily enough to what paul is using. So the question is how do i go about a total change?

Edited by e36garry - 31-January-2014 at 22:41

Remember BHP sells cars
Torque wins races!

Robin814 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robin814 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-January-2014 at 23:02
I would've off thought, bleeding the brakes of the old fluid, like Andrew says with the up down method. Then adding the stuff that Paul uses into the system.

I can't see why Dot 4 won't mix with the small residue of old Dot 4 fluid already stuck in the system. Should mix ok. Unless you want to change the whole brake lines, calipers and servo etc.

The way I see it's the same as adding new oil to your engine. Old stuff is still going to be in there trapped in the galleries etc.
E46 318Ci M Sport 2001 Light Gelb
E39 530I Champagne I Individual Edition 2002
jim-beamer View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jim-beamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-January-2014 at 23:36
you won't need to flush your system gazz, unless your gonna use a completely different grade of fluid, for the amount of Dot4 that would be left after you bleed the system, its negligible, and wouldn't degrade, or contaminate the new Dot4.....unless your gonna use it frequently on the track, I would tamper with upgrading the fluid. ( personally speaking of course.. )....

E53 X5, 2003 318i SE, Suzuki GSXR
www.jgrecovery.com
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-February-2014 at 08:27
I just bleed my brakes on Saturday after changing the rear discs and pads.  I poured in a total of 2 litres of BMW DOT 4 fluid and bled out 500ml of fluid from each wheel.  I know this because I used an empty 2L 7UP bottle which was marked at roughly 500ml intervals.  I would say that I've completly flushed out the old fluid with new but then again I wasn't changing the type of fluid.
I used the two man method.  Pumping the brake pedal and collecting it via the bleed nipple at each calliper.  Takes a while but saves yourself £80 which BMW want for doing it.

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
e36garry View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote e36garry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2014 at 18:06
Eh.... i like their cars and everything but for the sake of an airlock..... £80 is taking the michael.
I'm not changing the fluid type. Sticking to mobil1 DOT4. makes life easier. should be getting them done tomorrow. I have a few plans but they're all variable depending on what falls through.

Remember BHP sells cars
Torque wins races!

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2014 at 18:27
Well they do charge £100 per hour plus VAT for labour, so by the time they have driven the car into the workshop and you have used up the receptionists time, the £80 soon disappears.....

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
e36garry View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote e36garry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2014 at 13:37
With thanks to Davy Mul ( for the use of his driveway) My Dad (for his tools [and doing the bloody job for me Tongue]) My neighbour John for getting his hands properly dirty. And Big Jimbo for his .... er.. "supervisory" skillsThumbs Up
I now have Brembo discs and pads up front and HEL Performance, Braided flexi pipes all over.
Next stop, rear pads

Remember BHP sells cars
Torque wins races!

Robin814 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robin814 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2014 at 17:32
Great stuff. Quickly stops as it goes.
E46 318Ci M Sport 2001 Light Gelb
E39 530I Champagne I Individual Edition 2002
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic