Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 7 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedball joints

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Indian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ball joints
    Posted: 29-September-2013 at 10:49
My E23  had a number of MOT advisories, 2 of them were ball joint covers on rear supension.
There are no ball joints on rear suspension. Have been in contact with VOSA, like many politicians cannot get a straight answere.

Could somebody please give a description of a ball joint.
Sponsored Links

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-October-2013 at 08:33
They could be meaning where the suspension arms meet the chassis which to me is really a rubber/metallic bush rather than a ball joint.

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Indian View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Indian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-October-2013 at 10:01
You could be right, sub frame bushes, but they were replacesd nearly 4 years ago which is about 6000 miles.
Oxford dictionary ----Ball joint. Noun "a joint sutch as the hip joint in wich a ball shape part moves inside a curved hollow part"
Will post to VOSA the BMW OEM parts diagram and ask them to point out the ball joint. 
Indian View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Indian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-October-2013 at 10:03
I forgot, the MOT advisory was L/H R/H dust covers on rear suspension,
shogun View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shogun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-August-2014 at 10:23
That are the dust boots on the shocks, search for 2 x SHOCK PROTECTION KIT BMW 7 SERIES E23 77-86 REAR
E32 750iL,E36 M3

7 Series Tech Tips

Indian View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Indian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-August-2014 at 09:38
I had the same problem with my E23. There are no ball joints on rear suspension.
I contacted VOSA and to start with had the usual reply from some jobworth saying ball joint  is a generic term. I sent them rear suspension diagram (OEM spares site) and they admitted there are no ball joints on rear suspension. I asked them to alter the MOT, they replied that had no means in altering the MOT. I also had advisories on front/rear break pads. How can you give advisories on some thing you cannot see?  Had the usual jobworth reply on that one.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic