Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedLeaking Coolant

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bettybeamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leaking Coolant
    Posted: 08-July-2013 at 06:27
Hi there everyone I am the proud owner of a BMW 318 2004 compact. I have only had this two months but unfortunatey already having problems!Cry

The coolant light suddenly came on so I turned back and topped up the coolant level.    I took the car out next day and when driving back it seemed very hot like the heater was on although the temp gauge was normal and no lights on.   When I pulled up at home slight smoke started coming out of the bonnett.  A friend took a look and said the coolant had evaporated and topped it up again.  I thought peraps I hadnt put the top on properly as it seems a bit fiddly.   Then 200 yards down the road the coolant light is on again and there is a drip of coolant from underneath.  Any ideas of what could be wrong?  The car had just been serviced and had a new MOT when I bought it.   Should I take it to a 'proper' BMW garage or just give it to the garage round the corner that I used with previous cars? Thanks for all your help and advice.Smile
Sponsored Links

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-July-2013 at 08:22
Do you know where the coolant is dripping from?

Sounds like a leak somewhere that is using all your coolant and causing the car to overheat.    Could be a split hose or a leak from a gasket somewhere, nothing big or terribly expensive to fix once located.

I wouldn't drive it untill you get it sorted.  Or only drive it to the local garage to get them to look at it.  You don't want to run the risk of overheating the engine and then warping the cylinder head.  No need to take it to BMW.
Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Madrab View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madrab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-July-2013 at 18:41

Hmmm, strange that it has started leaking coolant just after a service maybe run it back to them and get them to have a look see?  Your friend whilst trying to help no doubt, is a bit misguided as coolant doesn't tend to evaporate very quickly or at all in a properly sealed system. 

As Andrew suggested have a look see. See if it's obvious where it's leaking from but on no account run it very far at all as you will overheat and then your in a world of hurt and plenty of pounds to repair a warped head. 

1990 E3o 325i Touring and she's definately a she! Pain in the ass sometimes but goes like a bunny :oD
bettybeamer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bettybeamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-July-2013 at 11:36

Thanks for replies -  its apparently a split in the bottle which is quite common on these models - the mechanic showed me - need a new one - going to send me back £200 tho!   Dead  But it has to be done.

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-July-2013 at 15:08
That will be the expansion tank.  Quite common on some E39, E46 models right enough.

£200 for a new one ouch!  Some are integral with the radiators.

Just make sure when the repair is done it is filled correclty with no air locks as air locks can cause problems.  Fill it very slowly with the heater set to hot and the ignition on (only if it has electronic heater controls) this allows coolant to fill the heater and not leave a giant air bubble in the system.
Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic