Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked1998 E36 Auto Climate Control

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1998 E36 Auto Climate Control
    Posted: 13-January-2004 at 12:42

My car seems to have an intermittent fault where the blower doesn't seem to work. It only happens occasionally, but is very annoying.

Anyone else had a similar problem?

Sponsored Links

pualo View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-January-2004 at 13:45

This is a very common complaint with E36's. I just had mine fixed. The stealer is likely to tell you need a new one for approx £270 + vat, and that it need to be coded. This  is pants.

There is a bloke in the states who put the complete solution on how to take it apart and replace the dodgy components for about 50p, but there is an electronics firm across the road from where I work, so I printed the instructions and asked them to do it. When they took it apart, they found the components in question were fine, but the little fan inside the unit was all clogged up with fluff, not letting it spin, so causing the cutting out problem. I will see if I can find the link to this guys instructions. If not, email me your address and I will post you the hardcopy.

LeighG View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-January-2004 at 13:51

Excellent. Cheers.

See if you can find the link, if not, let me know. I'll mail you my address. My Dad's an ex-alarm engineer and knows his way round electronics so should be able to do the dirty work!

Thanks again.

Leigh.

den. norton View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-January-2004 at 13:04
HI LEIGHG, THE INFORMATION YOU WANT IS FOUND AT HTTP://WWW.MACADAMIZER.COM/BMWFIX.HTML   IT LOOKS COMPLICATED BUT ITS A VERY EASY FIX. THE INSTRUCTIONS TELL YOU TO USE A NEW CAPACITOR BUT ITS USUALLY THE SOLDER CONNECTIONS THAT ARE FAULTY. I FOUND THAT BY REMELTING THE SOLDER CONNECTIONS IT CURED THE PROBLEM & ITS BEEN FINE SINCE I DID IT LAST JULY. HOPE THIS IS OF USE TO YOU. CHEERS DEN.
LeighG View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-January-2004 at 14:15

Thanks Den.

The link works perfectly. Doesn't seem to be too hard to fix.

I will give it a try. I'll let you know how I get on.

11Duke11 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-March-2004 at 05:34

Hey Guys the link seems to be down, I would reeealy appricate someone sending me the info or telling me where to find it.. Thanks

ccuthbert View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-March-2004 at 02:03

I had the same intermitent Climate Control behaviour on my '98 M3. I followed the procedure in the URL noted in this thread and am pleased to report it seems to have corrected my problems.

I followed the procedure pretty much exactly as described although I removed the Business Radio to get the climate control unit out. I did this because the sunglass section referred to in the link is filled by the SMG controls and this makes getting the Multi Function Display difficult to get out.

I'm not much of a soldering kind of guy, so rather than attempt this myself, I printed the instruction out and took them to a local electrical repairer who changed the capacitor in 5 minutes while I waited.

Total cost AUD$10 and 1 hour of my time. Only additional tool required for my approach was a hex key to get the Busines Radio out. Completely straight forward and little risk from my experience.

Full marks to Richard, his detailed naration saved me some significant $$$....

m330gt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-March-2004 at 12:28
Good to see you guys have posted the link to this info on here for free.  Some con artist has adverts on Ebay all the time charging about £5 for the info!
323jon View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-March-2004 at 13:54
hi try this site as well mite beworth a lookhttp://www.macadamizer.com/bmwfix.html
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic