Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedAnti rattle springs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmybrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anti rattle springs
    Posted: 11-June-2013 at 14:35
Exclamation
Anti rattle springs on the Brake Pads, the previous owner spent a lot of money replacing things, with the BMW garage doing the work, one was new brake pads all round. Good quality ones at that; I had a rattle since I can now hear a bit more after a new back exhaust section on my 92 318IS 140BHP coupe; very lucky I do not drive a lot of miles, but I went a few and there was a sound, I got back home and on the ground at my drive, a SPRING, not even sure if it was off the BMW, my brother has renault, his wife a rover, I have also a couple of old sport/rally cars, which I knew that it was not from; so I checked out the spring, I also have a couple of neighbours who are old and decrepit like me, who don't mind winding me up; but I checked anyway, went round all the discs, FRONT RIGHT MISSING THE SPRING, how.
I look at the markings on the Caliper, have they not just lost it, but the marks where the spring normally grabs; three out the four wheels THE SPRING IS RIGHT; this one they have put it in wrong; with me now got the car straight through the MOT sorted out the big flat spot, which the Diagnostic Check said was something else, somebody installed the pad anti rattle, or retaining spring WRONG, fortunately I don't do a lot have hard driving, but the car is very quick, and if a pad had moved or jammed it could have cause a major issue, I am not concerned about me, I am getting to the end of my life, but it could have been a young child, family or even worse and I am only joking, my dog who is my friend and protector, and now loves his BMW.
So if your having Pads installed better to be there, and actually watch them do it, or Take a Photo of all the four discs, showing the spring; I can see how it would be easy to make this error, but it could have HORRIFIC consequences.
If you are unsure e-mail me at james.brown5840@ntlworld, and I will send you some Photos to show you; I cannot use a phone and so don't have one.
but this is an easy thing to do, I believe that a lot of the springs have changed so they actual have specific hold points, but some don't.
yes when i use capital letters I am not shouting I am just doing how I was taught to write a letter, if there is anyone out there that takes offence; TOUGH; I am also old and disabled, although I do like my cars and motorcycles
Jimmy
jimmy
Sponsored Links

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-June-2013 at 22:29
I have to confess, BMW recommend that the calliper anti rattle springs are to be renewed on replacing pads if the spring is over 4 years old.  When I replaced my front pads and discs I didn't change the spring.....still original 9 years since rolling off the production line.
Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
jimmybrown View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmybrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2013 at 13:55
Lamp
I agree with The response, but if you have No Mechanical Knowledge, other than checking the Basics, water, oil, brake fluids, keeping an eye on the tyre wear, or if the Car starts to drift, or steering vibrates even a little, or You just get a sense that the Car does not feel the same, You would have done what the Last owner did, who is an Accountant, an Academic for all intent and purpose's who all he wants to do is drive a Modern Classic that is in fantastic condition for 22 years of age, can go extremely quick if you want too, but still returns 45-50 mpg at 50-60 mph.
He takes it to his BMW GARAGE, where you expect the work and things to be done correctly, I mean they are Hooked straight to Germany now, so they are telling them what needs to be done, and it German Teaching for the; I almost said Mechanics, they call them Technicians now don't they.
Yes they were brand new Brake Pads, good quality ones, and the Springs were replaced, and like every other part the Last owner replaced and there was an awful lot of them, So far everyone states BMW original and gives the correct Part number. I had a good look at how these springs go on; there is no question that it could be installed wrongly, actually the wrong way LOOKS the right way. Poor Engineering, Poor Thought about how it could be easily put in wrong, the BMW calipers even have recess dimples that you would think the hooks on the ends of the spring might fit into. I am not saying that has not changed but When this happened to me, I actually thought the three other Springs were wrong, they were put in correctly, why or how the last was not I don't know, but it has been in there for a while, you can see the marks clearly, where seated, and gradually as the dust built up it forced the lugs out and sure enough it came out; I was fortuante I got the spring in my driveway.
To give you the worst case, The brake bad can move sufficiently enough where it could pick debris, or even jam, where you could be actually driving and without touching the brake, at motorway speeds, one wheel brakes, YOUR DEAD, AND SO IS ANYTHING YOU MIGHT HIT.
My message is, either do it your self or make sure your Garage BMW or Private, does you right.
I will hopefully soon not Just replace the Brake Pads, I will do all 4 Discs Springs and any other directly related Part. I do not have an issue as far as Braking is concerned it stops where the tail end wants to come off the ground, and I am also going to put on 205 Mitch tyres, I cannot affor Pir's, but second best aint bad, I don't need to upgrade the diameter of the Disc or put on Big Calipers, it really stops as quick as any and most road cars unmodified. The front pads after checking thm are getting near the latter days but still within tolerance, but the thing is growing on me, I wish I could get 4  wheel drive for the engine and just a we bit more weight through out, top speed not an issue.
It is such good nick, I will hate to part, but come the Winter I find out how it will handle the snow I have to go through.
Jimmy
jimmy
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2013 at 18:34
Originally posted by Andrew Rolland Andrew Rolland wrote:

I have to confess, BMW recommend that the calliper anti rattle springs are to be renewed on replacing pads if the spring is over 4 years old.  When I replaced my front pads and discs I didn't change the spring.....still original 9 years since rolling off the production line.
I have never [unless it was broken] replaced the anti-rattle spring on ANY of my BMW's - just give them a bit of copper-ease and all has been fine. I suspect that most [all?] garages wouldn't bother either, other than main stealers, and they are just after more revenue
Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-June-2013 at 20:09
My TIS talks about replacing the springs.

Back to what Jimmy was saying, when I replaced my front pads and discs on reassembly it did take a bit of fiddling with the spring clip to get it to sit right.  I can't remember if it was when I did the brakes or when I then had to take them off again to replace the wheel bearing, I did indeed manage to get the spring clip installed but not correctly so it is quite possible for someone to not put it back on reassembly.

Also after the new pads and discs fitted, the calliper will sit in a slightly different position on reassembly (due to the thicker unworn components) which can make replacing the clip a bit more difficult.

Some are quite thin gauge metal so they can corrode and loose some of their springiness so yeah I would replace them on older cars....
Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic