Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked320d crank pulley

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 320d crank pulley
    Posted: 11-June-2013 at 13:42
My neighbour had a broken crank pulley.

Bought another one and swapped it.

Now the car doesn't start anymore

What could / has he done wrong???

There is no markings, dowels, sensors etc.

E46 320d on a 03 plate.
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
Sponsored Links

jimmybrown View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmybrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-June-2013 at 14:12
Question
A couple of things when you replace a Crank on a sensored system, you have to make sure the Battery has been disconected, the senors still register with ecu unit wether the car runs or not.
The Car engine cannot even move a fraction, if the engine shifts at all, that is the piston change position even by the parts of Millimeter, it will cause similar difficulties, taking a Crank Pully Off, on a sensored engine is quite difficult, as you have to lock everything down so there is absolutely no movement, or the Timing will be knocked out; this can be reset, but you need the right Diagnostic Disc for the year and model, also it is even more crucial with a Diesel engine as most times if the timing is out on a Petrol Engine, it would probably try to start, spit backfire,misfire, but at least you can reset it.
Taking any part of a the Main Engine drive off to replace from fly wheels through to crank shaft or even changing sometimes a belt, moves the engine a Micro amount, but it is enough to cause issues, and in Diesels it will knock them out all together. So along with not disconnecting the Battery, you have to LOCK the engine down so it cannot move at all, which is not always the easiest.
Let me know how you get on; sorry but I have been unwell lately so I have not spent alot of time on site.
Jimmy
jimmy
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-June-2013 at 22:34
Is this the crank pulley that is used to drive the ancillarys power steering, air con, alternator etc?

If so then I can't see how it won't start unless as you say there was no timing marks etc on it.  Generally these pulleys will only go back on one way with a woodruff key etc so any timing should be maintaned.  If its just driving ancillarys, then engine timing shouldn't be affected.

What caused it to break?  Can't see how that sort of component would wear out?
Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2013 at 14:54
It's a common issue, there's a harmonic damper in the pulley and this begins to disintegrate causing a rattle at idle speed, eventually the pulley lets go and you lose the aux drive belt. 

Sport Evolution Schwarz #043
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-June-2013 at 20:18
Originally posted by Sporty1 Sporty1 wrote:

It's a common issue, there's a harmonic damper in the pulley and this begins to disintegrate causing a rattle at idle speed, eventually the pulley lets go and you lose the aux drive belt. 

Ahhh wait a mo, yeah I've heard of that. 

Oil contamination causing the rubber/plastic to disintegrate?  Or just heat/cool cycle?
Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Inept View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inept Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-August-2013 at 12:24
As we are talking about Crankshaft Pulleys does any body know who makes them for BMW ? Mine will need to be replaced sometime soon.

thanks in eager anticipation

regards
tsk
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic