Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMPG down (petrol)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote recardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MPG down (petrol)
    Posted: 27-May-2013 at 13:26
My mpg has dropped quite a bit in the last 8 weeks. This is brim to brim mpg not the OBC.

For the 1st year i averaged 32mpg and could regulary get 35mpg which is great for 3.0 6 cyl petrol.

Now its down at 27mpg, still doing the same running - I dont drive like a nutter, and nothing else has changed.

what can I look at doing to improve mpg?

The car was last serviced in Jan (oil service). The previous service at 44K it had spark plugs and air filter etc, so they should need doing until 80K.
I have noticed an occasional stutter or "miss" - its very intermittant and no error codes show on my reader, not sure if this is a something or nothing.
E60 525i (3.0i) M-Sport
Sponsored Links

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2013 at 08:44
That's not great mpg, I am getting about that on mine at the moment but I'm doing much shorter runs these days.

Could be tyre pressures, different tyres, wheel bearing on its way out, binding brakes, small air or vacuum leak.  Could be a spark plug or coil on its way out, it could be loads of things.

You haven't added any chaved accessories which has increase weight and drag, like body kits or spoilers or a loud exhaust or a modified air filter?

Was it good quality oil you used in your service?

Is the traffic worse? Are you mibbie doing more stop start driving? This kills my mpg.

Is it an autobox?  Have you had the transmission serviced?  Any clunks from the drive train?  A worn CV joint on a drive shaft or UJ on the prop shaft may increase rotational resistance and burn more fuel.

My mpg was much better when I first got my E60, I put it down to the fact that I mibbie drove it more gently at first until I got used to the power!
Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Indian View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Indian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2013 at 08:46
Bio fuels? All my cars seem to use more fuel, E23, Benz CLK, VW Polo
recardo View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote recardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2013 at 09:26
answers in line
Originally posted by Andrew Rolland Andrew Rolland wrote:

That's not great mpg, I am getting about that on mine at the moment but I'm doing much shorter runs these days.

Could be tyre pressures, different tyres, wheel bearing on its way out, binding brakes, small air or vacuum leak.
car is tip top shape AFAIK, other than mpg dropping

Could be a spark plug or coil on its way out, it could be loads of things.
thats what i was thinking, but cant think of a way to test other than replace?

You haven't added any chaved accessories which has increase weight and drag, like body kits or spoilers or a loud exhaust or a modified air filter?
certainly not!

Was it good quality oil you used in your service?
BMW spec AFAIK - thats the risk of not doing it yourself....

Is the traffic worse? Are you mibbie doing more stop start driving? This kills my mpg.

Is it an autobox?  Have you had the transmission serviced?  Any clunks from the drive train?  A worn CV joint on a drive shaft or UJ on the prop shaft may increase rotational resistance and burn more fuel.
Manual 6 speed. no clunks or untoward noises

My mpg was much better when I first got my E60, I put it down to the fact that I mibbie drove it more gently at first until I got used to the power!
E60 525i (3.0i) M-Sport
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2013 at 19:26
Have you had the codes read?
Coil or plugs, yeah could only tell by swapping them out, coils are a bit pricey for doing that IIRC somewhere between £24 and £34.

Interesting on your spark plugs I thought you would have got longer out of them.  Mine were in for over 60,000 miles before the CBS wanted them swaped out.  After resetting the CBS they went back to being good for another 60,000 miles.  CBS today still indicates changing being needed at ~120,000 miles.

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2013 at 21:19
Originally posted by recardo recardo wrote:

My mpg has dropped quite a bit in the last 8 weeks.
Errr... if you drive a E60 525i (3.0i) M-Sport then why are you worried about MPG

When I drove my E30 M3 that was the last thing on my mind!

Just enjoy ..........
Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
recardo View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote recardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2013 at 21:53
Originally posted by thepits thepits wrote:

My mpg has dropped quite a bit in the last 8 weeks.
Errr... if you drive a E60 525i (3.0i) M-Sport then why are you worried about MPG

When I drove my E30 M3 that was the last thing on my mind!

Just enjoy ..........

err... if something deviates from "normal" wouldn't you want to know why
?
I do especialy when its my prized posession
E60 525i (3.0i) M-Sport
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2013 at 22:01

err... if something deviates from "normal" wouldn't you want to know why? I do especialy when its my prized posession
My M3 was my 'prized possession', and was regularly serviced but sometimes the MPG dropped.

Reading your posts it looks similar, so my conclusion is it may be a Heavy Right Foot

But don't care.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2013 at 17:54
Has the wife or someone else been allowed to drive it?

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2013 at 17:58

Has the wife or someone else been allowed to drive it?

don't be silly - SWMBO had no idea how to change gear with their Right hand.

My car, MY car, me, ME ....... got the idea?

But don't care.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2013 at 18:03
Get out of the way Pitsy, I wasnae talking to you!LOL

Back on topic

What about, the type of fuel you have been using.  Have you changed type of unleaded, i.e. from super to normal or from a decent brand like Shell to supermarket stuff?

Or mibbie you have a small fuel leak?

My father in law had a small fuel leak that he hadn't noticed until we had cause to inspect the underside of the car, he then did comment on the fact that he thought his mpg was worse....

Edited by Andrew Rolland - 31-May-2013 at 18:04

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2013 at 18:13

Get out of the way Pitsy, I wasnae talking to you
mine was the previous post, so I naturally assumed....

p.s. - next time go "@??" so we know

Edited by thepits - 31-May-2013 at 18:14

But don't care.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2013 at 18:40

What about, the type of fuel you have been using.  Have you changed type of unleaded, i.e. from super to normal or from a decent brand like Shell to supermarket stuff?

and this is why I ask about the fuel you have been using.

Edited by Andrew Rolland - 31-May-2013 at 18:40

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2013 at 18:51

Have you changed type of unleaded, i.e. from super to normal or from a decent brand like Shell to supermarket stuff?
I know what "they" say about the supermarket stuff but IMHO I've never noticed a difference even with the E30 M3

But don't care.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2013 at 19:49
My old Senator did not like Safeway unleaded, engine was not as smooth and performance was lumpy, can't recall mpg as such but anything over 26 mpg was good on that barge.

My E39 got low mpg on a tank full of Asda unleaded.  Back on Esso and mpg improved.  I vowed after inflicting my E39 to Asda Censored, never to use supermarket stuff again. 

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-June-2013 at 13:10
All the modern cars have an abundance of fuel mixture influencing systems with an armada of sensors involved. You have FOUR oxygen sensors in your exhaust system for a start. If one or two of them have aged and give slightly false readings to your ECU, it may cause your mpg to change.

NOT SAYING that your oxygen sensors need changing! Just one thing which comes to my mind.

Or the airflow meter. Or the engine temperature sensor. Small item which can have a big effect on fuel consumption if engine temp is read to low and ECU thinks engine is cold and richens up the mixture.

How is your coolant temperature? I know you haven't got a gauge for this in the dash (...thanks BMW!!!) but there is a code where you can tap into the dash cluster which gives you all the readings the ECU sees.

Or you get fed up with this like I have and buy "Tourqe" app for your phone and a OBD2 Bluetooth dongle. That's how I found out that my coolant is hardly over 70 deg!
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
Crispy-d View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crispy-d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-June-2013 at 19:17
Exactly what I would have thought too - if it's not your driving style then it must be a sensor if it's making that much difference. This could be a load of old tosh but I reckon I always get slightly better mpg in the Winter rather than the Summer months so it could just be summer heat and more traffic jams?

As far as sensors go MAF would have been my first choice too - it's so easy to change and even if it is not that it just gives you peace of mind for another 2 years. They really do get affected by the dirt and grime that comes off the road and it does change the performance of the car in my experience. One of the best things I did in my 530d was replace the MAF sensor. 

The coolant sensors should be easy to replace too and inexpensive to eliminate - is the thermostat functioning correctly?
BMW E39 M5 - 2002
Land Rover 110 4.0 V8 - 1986
BMW E39 530d Manual SE - 2001
BMW E34 540i 6 Speed Manual - 1995
Volvo S90 3.0 CD - 1997
Volvo 460 Si Turbo - 1995
Volvo 340 GL - 1989
recardo View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote recardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-June-2013 at 21:58
well, looks like the problem has manifested itself further / taken a turn for the worse - car was running lumpy today (on 5 cyls).
After a lot of fannying about and troubleshooting - it looks like coil no 1 is kaput.  so will get a new one tomorrow  and get back to normal!

quick question - will it be ok to drive on 5 cylinders?  nearest ECP is 15miles away

Edited by recardo - 07-June-2013 at 21:59
E60 525i (3.0i) M-Sport
Crispy-d View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crispy-d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-June-2013 at 23:12
Well at least that's the problem possibly sorted so really it's good news if that is all that will fix the problem.

ECP should deliver to your home - most ECUs will shut off the injector if there is persistent misfiring so that you don't wash the bore or wreck the catalytic converter so you should be alright. I'm a bit precious like that and I't take another car if I had to go out but if it's for one trip you should be ok.

Hope you get it sorted.
BMW E39 M5 - 2002
Land Rover 110 4.0 V8 - 1986
BMW E39 530d Manual SE - 2001
BMW E34 540i 6 Speed Manual - 1995
Volvo S90 3.0 CD - 1997
Volvo 460 Si Turbo - 1995
Volvo 340 GL - 1989
recardo View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote recardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-June-2013 at 08:56
I'll leave the car until its sorted, managed to get a lift for the kids football duties this morning, ECP is open to 4pm so will head over this afternoon and use the wifes car or my motor bike ;)

edit_ meant to ask - there are 5 black coils & 1 grey - I take it the grey one is a newer updated design?  Its a black one that has failed.

Numbers on the coils are;
Black 7571644-01     0221 504 471     07-06-29 D  02540
Grey 7594935-02      0221 504 471    11-02-17  G 01826

Edited by recardo - 08-June-2013 at 09:01
E60 525i (3.0i) M-Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic