Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedcam and crankshaft sensors

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kayena1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cam and crankshaft sensors
    Posted: 29-April-2013 at 15:23
I bought a 320ibmw which had a sensor problem,after replacing the two it run for while and its back to the same problem.what cud be the cause
Sponsored Links

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-April-2013 at 16:35
Were the sensors OEM or cheap aftermarket ones?

Probably best to plug it into a diagnostic computer to get the fault codes read and then take it from there.
Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
jimmybrown View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmybrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-April-2013 at 18:06
Hello, crank shaft and other sensors, Problems.
You would need to describe as acurate as you can what is happening, if the Car is running, is it running on fall back MODE, just like a computer, The first thing to do is take the the Positive off the Battery Terminal, leave it for a bit Just Like a computer, a minute or so. connect it back up and see if it changes anything; if the battery was left connected when the Sensors were installed Your EC UNIT does not recognise the changes. if there is no difference then, it is Mechanical, and that is why I would need to know what exactly what happens if it is running.
The basics are are, THE FUEL GET THROUGH, NICE AND EASY, TAKE A PLUG OUT AND IF IT IS WET AFTER TURNING THE ENGINE OVER THEN ITS GETTING FUEL, maybe not enough to run properly but at least it should kick.
If it is struggling to run, then, it can be a couple of things, COIL PACK, PLUG CONNECTION WIRES, OR BLOCKED FILTERS.
My own experience, is I don't believe BMW DIAGNOSTIC  CHECKS, they are very misleading.
Start with the cheap things, also If you have bought 2nd hand/or even new sensors they can be at fault.
I would need to know exactly what is happening; I live in Glasgow although I cannot do any work for you, If you are close enough I can give you my best guide.
I took a chance on my BMW 318is, 1992 coupe, for 250, I actually need a 4x4, but after installing a Proper Tow Bar, my pref, a Leather interior, fixing the Heat and Fuel issue and now it will have a 1 years MOT, replacing both front wishbones and lollipops, and drop links and antisway bar bush's, total cost to me, I got 200 for my jeep which I BROKE, 250 for the BMW, parts the whole car is going to cost me less than 500, and it qualifies for modern classic insurance, F/C 200 a year.
I am new to BMW, BUT AS I SAY IF YOU ARE UNSURE HOW TO DESCRIBE WHAT IS HAPPENING, THEN IF YOUR CLOSE ENOUGH LET ME KNOW AND I WILL BE HAPPY TO DO MY BEST.
Mind you THE VERY MODERN CARS ARE NOW BEING DESIGNED NOT JUST FOR A BMW GARAGE OR ANY OTHER TO DO ANYTHING, IT IS BECOMING YOU  WILL DRIVE IN OR THEY WILL COME TO YOU AND PLUG YOU IN AND IN THEN CASE OF "BMW" THEY WILL TELL THE PERSON WHAT PART/UNIT TO TAKE OUT AND REPLACE:  "ALL THE WAY FROM GERMANY"
THEY WILL EVENTUALLY TRY AND DO AWAY OF DEALERSHIPS OTHER THAN TO SELL YOU A NEW ONE AND THAT WILL DISAPPEAR ALSO.
Please for any other forum members, I already see what has happened over 50 years, which is half the age of the MOTOR CAR. I also invented some of the modern computer concepts, but that is bye the way.

Try and describe exactly what happens with your car before you buy parts; DIAGNOSTICS are not the 'end and be all 'of YOUR CAR. If you turn the KEY ON and it does not start not just , THAT  IS A BEGINING POINT, if it kicks over THAT IS ANOTHER BEGINING POINT. IF IT STRUGGLES TO EITHER START, OR STARTS AND CUTS OUT THAT IS ANOTHER  POINT. IfF IT RUNS ROUGH OR HAS FLAT SPOTS IN ACCELARATION , another starting point.

I will do my best to help. and if you are close enough I don't mind you coming past.
JUST MIND I DO HAVE A GREAT BIG DOG, WHO IS VERY PROTECTIVE OF ME AND CHILDREN, but he once he gets a sniff at you settles down.
Let me know as much information as possible and I will do my best. WORD FOR WORD EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENS IS THE BEST WAY TO TRACK DOWN PROBLEMS.
I could go on all night.
Jimmy

jimmy
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmybrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-April-2013 at 18:31
WAS THE PROBLEM A SENSOR PROBLEM IN THE FIRST PLACE.
everytime you go to BMW to put it on Diagnostic they will charge you.
IT IS NOT AS ACCURATE AS  IS.
A LOT OF TIMES EVEN CLEANING THE SENSOR FACE, OIL CHANGES, DISCONNECTING THE BATTERY WHEN WORK IS BEING DONE, GIVES YOUR COMPUTER CONTROLLED ENGINE , ACCURATE INFORMATION.
ROVER, SAME SET UP AS BMW, my brother changed the front Brake Pads without disconnecting the Battery, The ABS BRAKE LIGHT CAME ON AND WOULD NOT GO OFF
EVEN THOUGH IT HAD NEW BRAKE PADS.
He sold the car for a fraction, of its value, the Guy who bought it disconnected the Battery for a couple of Minutes the ABS LIGHT WENT OUT ON THE DASH.
It is not the answer to all things, but if you have any sensored or ECU controlled engine Parts Disconnect either POSITIVE OR NEGATIVE. The ECU like home Computers Have to Reboot.
even at 60 years old, and all though I have worked with Computers since 1969, My BMW is the first car that I have actually owned that has a Computer in IT. It gave wrong information, to the extent, BMW -Hamburg cannot tell me of any ACCURATE  BMW or any other DIAGNOSTIC PROGRAM FOR MY 92 318IS PETROL 140BHP COUPE
Although I have run track cars that had basic ECU units for fuel and suspension correction.
It is basic mechanics that get engines running, electrics when you turn the key, fuel to the cylinders,
and firing, if any of those have issues, you got to track the individual sequences down.
AND IT IS NOT TO DIFFICULT.
jimmy

jimmy
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmybrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2013 at 12:07
I am unsure even now if I am welcome as one memeber does not accept that I don't see CAPITAL  LETTERS AS SHOUTING.
but anyway, what you need to know, is I am not a Sensor or ECU related person, although i have degree's in both mechanical and electrical engineering and through both i am reasonable computer lit.
Sensors help a lot but dirt and even where the cables are located csan cause issues.
Also just simple wear and tear on the engine due to the mileage or age of the car can cause irregularly faults, the ecu units and diagnostic checks were pposed to eliminate this, but being new to BMW, I found this out, by what I stated in my first summary on this forum, they tell one thing but the simple replacement of what they say is wrong is not always the answer.
To really help with your issues, is what was happening before, for example, were you driving and did it start to die away similar what i would think of as running out of petrol, or did it start to misfire, or did it become hard to start or easy to start but hard to keep running or did the performance drop, was it slow on the pick up, was there hesitation in accelaration.
my own  situation is I cannot get a diagnostic check on the model I have, the BMW diagnostics just don't cover my car properly, if you have fell into that aspect, then to get help you need to describe step by step exactly what is happing.
BMW Hamburg still have refused to respond, to my questions, I even sent the questions in German to them.
so to help a full description is to what is happening is the only way I could hope to point you in the right direction.
I would say if it is New sensors you bought, then it probably is something else, and the sensors are being misled, if it was used sensors; we all take a chance on 2nd hand parts.
let me know, I will say one thing, even though I worked on Submarine and Ship diesel engines, my preference is to stay away from diesel engines that are turbo and super charged, as they are only that way to get the performance out of them, you cannot succesfully LPG them, and all you have to do is look at the car racing industry, how many diesel run teams are there. Diesels without those chargers, run trucks and tractors.
as i say let me know.
Jimmy

jimmy
Inept View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inept Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-August-2013 at 12:34
Originally posted by jimmybrown jimmybrown wrote:

I am unsure even now if I am welcome as one memeber does not accept that I don't see CAPITAL  LETTERS AS SHOUTING.
Jimmy

Jimmy - its a general acceptance on message boards that using Capital Letter appears to some as a form of "shouting" - also make allowances for sensitive souls on here

With your apparent knowledge I am sure you will be appreciated but just remember you are a newcomer

regards
tsk
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic