Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFinally bought an E39 M5!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crispy-d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Finally bought an E39 M5!
    Posted: 07-March-2013 at 21:02
Hello All,

It has been a while since my last post since I turned all diesel on you for my long commute, but I do have a read through frequently in case there is anything I can add to any posts! Well now I have my own bit of news to post and that is that I have finally bitten the bullet and bought a 2002 M5 in Le Mans blue.

I have pined after one of these since I was 13 when they first came out and now I finally own my dream car - I have owned it for coming up to a week now and I can categorically say buying it was the best thing I've ever done. Selling my manual E34 540 was a monumentally stupid idea as I missed that car so much but the 530d has been so reliable as well as efficient; it also got me addicted to the E39 model.

Now I have a new job I thought I would go back to a 540 but interestingly I actually found it a little sluggish low down in comparison to the diesel and so I thought it would be best to do what I've wanted to do for half my life and buy an M5. I have been searching for just over 3 months and eventually found the perfect one on Sunday and so I eagerly emptied my wallet and took it away with me and I haven't looked back since! 

I can't imagine ever needing to get another car, it literally does everything I would ever want or need from a car plus more - much more. I knew it would be outstanding but despite my high expectations it has surpassed every one of them and I find myself pretty much running away from work so I can climb into it and start it up for my drive home, the long way.

I haven't managed to take any decent pictures in this weather but the below will have to be a teaser until I can get some more done during the daytime. To put it in perspective though, the 530d in the background is still an outstanding car but this machine is at a whole new level and it has rekindled my love for cars that I lost a couple of years ago on my 72 mile daily commute.

Nice to be back!

Crispin

BMW E39 M5 - 2002
Land Rover 110 4.0 V8 - 1986
BMW E39 530d Manual SE - 2001
BMW E34 540i 6 Speed Manual - 1995
Volvo S90 3.0 CD - 1997
Volvo 460 Si Turbo - 1995
Volvo 340 GL - 1989
Sponsored Links

stevie53 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevie53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-March-2013 at 09:44
Nice one Crispy-d.
That looks a cracker and in the 2nd best colour too after Imola Red

It was my dream car too and eventually owned one for over 4yrs, what a machine it didn't disappoint one bit.
You will love this car.

I don't know if you have any plans to modify the car in anyway but I can highly recommend the Hayward & Scott back boxes, my god it brings that V8 rumble alive....

Enjoy it
///2000 E39 M5 Imola Red/// NO MORE

una volta lei ha avuto l'italiano lei non andrà mai tedesco di nuovo haha
Crispy-d View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crispy-d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-March-2013 at 00:42
Thanks Stevie!

It just gets better every time I drive it - it's raining, foggy and generally miserable outside right now but I've just got back from a random 20 mile drive that I went on purely for the sake of it. I didn't even bother making up an excuse to go out I just got in the car and played the left right game till I found a long straight then just held on; I haven't done that since I had the 540!

My plan is to keep the car completely standard (it currently has a matt black grill, which probably looks really good to many people but that's going as soon as the new ones have arrived at the dealer!) and to restore it to it's former glory. It has full service history and runs as well as it looks but I can't help thinking that the last owner was running it on a budget as there are a few knocks and rattles (exhaust brackets, couple of bushes too perhaps) which would be so simple and reasonably inexpensive to repair, so I'm just going to go a bit mental and replace everything that I think would be worth replacing. I love restoring cars like these because all it normally takes is a couple of grand in genuine parts and they pretty much run like new and if the old owners realised what they'd been missing out on I think they'd cry and wish they hadn't sold them :) It's not been neglected but I don't think it's exactly been spoiled either and I expect it'll run even better when I've replaced all the old sensors and worn suspension components. 

My daily driver is my Land Rover which has a modified 4.0 Rover V8 in it and with the dual side exits I honestly don't think I could beat that noise, as unlike many others it seems I actually prefer the old American hot rod noise. I aim to leave the M5 standard so that I can do all my Europe cruises in it and be in as much comfort as I would have been in the 530d. I ruined the 540 by putting a droning exhaust on it so I don't want to do the same with this one, plus I was actually impressed by the level of engine noise inside the car under moderate acceleration especially considering that it's virtually silent from the outside - a very nice surprise!

Edited by Crispy-d - 09-March-2013 at 00:48
BMW E39 M5 - 2002
Volvo S90 3.0 CD - 1997
Volvo 340 GL - 1989
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2013 at 18:44
I like the new wheels.  Well done.

A nice two fingered salute to the DIEsel brigade. Proper petrol V8, that's what you want.

I'm a great believer in keeping it standard. 

Keep us posted how you get on with it.
Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Crispy-d View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crispy-d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2013 at 20:18
Thanks Andrew - I will do!

Parts arriving on Tuesday so I will be hard at work Tuesday night fitting my new thermostat and temperature sensors :) MAFs next, along with cam position sensors as I hear they will make quite a big difference unless they've all been recently changed, which they haven't from the looks of things!
BMW E39 M5 - 2002
Volvo S90 3.0 CD - 1997
Volvo 340 GL - 1989
Crispy-d View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crispy-d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-March-2013 at 20:15
Weather's been horrid this weekend, which was a shame, but that didn't stop me giving the car another clean! 

I rigged up an umbrella to hang over the front of the car last night so I could change the thermostat - what an awful job that was; I thought it was going to be easy but it was the most fiddly thing I think I've had to do on a car to date. I left all the VANOS lines attached so that didn't help with space and I didn't finish till 2am so the lack of light didn't exactly help either but I was at college all day so I can only work on the car at night! Whilst I was doing that I changed all the seals and O-Rings as well as the coolant temperature sensors and it now sits at 79-82 degrees constantly so has definitely done the job.

New MAFs should arrive tomorrow morning (they didn't have any in stock which surprised me!) so they'll go in and then I can concentrate on the faint knocks and rattles I can hear. I may have to take it to an Independent for that as I'm no good at getting bushes out! There is a subtle shimmy under braking from speed so I think I will just order up all front end bushes/wishbones/thrust arms or whatever else is there and take it all to the garage for fitment. Hopefully that will solve most of the issues then!

I did take it for a brief spin today to dry it off, in the rain, and I'm sure it's just getting better and better :)

Can't wait for the Summer now though as I'll clean it up properly, give it a proper detail and touch up some of the chips and scratches and I can start driving it properly!

BMW E39 M5 - 2002
Volvo S90 3.0 CD - 1997
Volvo 340 GL - 1989
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2013 at 19:48
My alarm bells always start to ring when I read "bring it back to it's former glory".

With all the money you may spend, could you not just spend it on a newer model with less mileage? Or better condition?

Don't get carried away with replacing stuff which doesn't really need to be replaced, it will add up before you know it.

BTW I would love to own an E39 M5 but I am doing to many miles to justify the cost. And I would probaly loose my driving license in 6 weeks :-)
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
Crispy-d View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crispy-d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2013 at 21:00
Why? I can't see anything to be alarmed about! Maybe the turn of phrase I used sounded more like something that is normally said about a smashed up Ford Orion covered in rust so perhaps it was an exaggeration. The car is stunning. What I meant was replacing the black bonnet grill with the original and replacing the slightly faded gearknob; it will pretty much be perfect then :) I bought mine for the mechanical condition, it just so happened that it came with almost immaculate bodywork too so I am pretty chuffed.

There is only one more year after mine and although a 2003 would have been nice purely for the rarity of them they are still 10 years old now and so would be in no better condition than mine. I test drove a number of M5s before settling on mine, many with lower mileage and as I found with my last car mileage means next to nothing when it comes to mechanical condition. I'd have been happy to get one with 130k on the clock if it ran as well as mine does - so long as it's serviced and maintained it should go on and on. This one was the only one I looked at that had a really smooth gearbox and ultra smooth engine so I snapped it up pretty quickly; you can tell if a car's been thrashed or ill-treated/neglected and this one has just sat on the motorway for most of its life. Hence the engine and gearbox are lovely but I think the suspension would benefit from an overhaul.

I have friends that replace things only when needed and they always ask why my cars have been so reliable :) She drives beautifully and technically there is nothing 'needing' replacement - but I'm not running it on a budget and I want to return it to factory condition (sounds better than former glory!) and there is no way any car with 10 year old suspension will drive as well as it did when new however carefully it was driven and so I look forward to replacing it all and having it perfect!

Don't get me wrong, I don't aim to waste money on it and I'm an accountant so you can imagine how tight I am but this is not my everyday car but is a hobby and so it'll get what it wants, not what it needs :)

And I do understand what you mean about the license - point taken! I can imagine it being very easy to get carried away and so I will try to behave...

Many thanks for the thoughts though - I do understand what you are getting at!

Edited by Crispy-d - 20-March-2013 at 21:30
BMW E39 M5 - 2002
Volvo S90 3.0 CD - 1997
Volvo 340 GL - 1989
Robin814 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robin814 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2013 at 21:12
Nice car!
E46 318Ci M Sport 2001 Light Gelb
E39 530I Champagne I Individual Edition 2002
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2013 at 08:20
You can still buy E39 M5s from BMW main dealers with AUC!

Hexagon of Highgate BMW have two E39 M5s, Sep 2001 48,000 mile for £18,995, and a Dec 2001 with 29,500 miles for £24,995!

You do need plenty of beans though!  Me thinks you are paying for that years AUC warranty big style.

Hmmm a few E60 M5s are appearing in my kinda price range now, hmmmmmmm.  Big milers though.....compared to what mileage my E60 had when I bought it for similar money.

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Crispy-d View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crispy-d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2013 at 23:27
Yes, I have seen a small number of very low mileage ones! I reckon they would be attractive to collectors who are going to keep them pristine in a glass garage; you wouldn't want to take it out! Very nice though :)

I went in an E60 (albeit only as a passenger, I haven't driven one) and I must say the gearbox would drive me mad. I remember you like your Steptronics though so I should think you would appreciate it more than I would! But they do sound outstanding and are supremely comfortable - I wonder how reliable they will be in another 5 years time...? Might try one out then when I'm bored with manuals ;)
BMW E39 M5 - 2002
Volvo S90 3.0 CD - 1997
Volvo 340 GL - 1989
big ted View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big ted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-March-2013 at 16:53
Hi well done my dream car 2, i have a 2003 ci 330 bm soft top , but my dream is to own a e39 m5 ,( whats stopping me ) don't knowTongue ..... keep me posted on your ownership ,, thanks Andy 

Crispy-d View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crispy-d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-March-2013 at 19:50
Hi Andy - many thanks :) I'm still chuffed to bits with it!

Haven't had a chance to take her out recently because of the weather! My little brother who was an avid Volvo fan (as I used to be) likes it so much he is thinking of converting to BMW, too. Funnily enough he is looking at the 330Ci soft top! Just waiting for the snow to stop first ;)

BMW E39 M5 - 2002
Volvo S90 3.0 CD - 1997
Volvo 340 GL - 1989
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-March-2013 at 11:37
I think you've hit the nail on the head with the E60 M5.  The gearbox.

The press never liked it and always harked back and still do to the E39 5er as being the last proper BMW M with a proper manual gearbox.  Mine is a nice smooth proper autobox but with the option to 'step' it when I want, but the 'box in the E60 is something different again.

I like the look of the E39 M5 over the E60 M5, the E60 does slightly worry me with the reliability of all that electronics and the clutch!

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
big ted View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big ted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-March-2013 at 20:19
Hi,my 2003 bmw 330ci soft top is a lovely car . great sound, i am working up to the e39 m5, , ever had a drive of a 530 d sport , my brother has one it is nice , 6 speed proper gears , 5 years ago i got a lift round the nurburgring in a 2003 e39 m5 , i have had many laps round the ring, even drove round my self in my 944s2, But the lap in the m5 was unbelievable,  it over took everything on the track with ease,,, would you ever take your new baby for a spin ? 

Andy  
Crispy-d View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crispy-d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2013 at 19:44
Oh definitely - I will be going over there hopefully in the Summer. Although I don't plan to absolutely thrash and wreck this car, it will be for fun and I won't be sitting at 7k revs for 9 minutes straight or anything, just a brisk 'cruise' ;) And no I won't be putting a sticker on the boot!

I love my 530d - it's always driven so well and I hate to say this but it is actually far more relaxing on the motorway and much more comfortable on longer runs than the M5. I wouldn't say the M5 is choppy, but it's definitely not as calming and I should think that's the softer SE suspension and chunky tyres. Then again I found myself grinning from ear to ear earlier today and I actually burst out in spontaneous laughter at one point when overtaking someone - the 530 never did that :) so as lovely as it is it has to go. I took her to work today as I needed to make room for another car in the driveway (not mine!) and so I thought I'd take the long route home - it just never gets boring!

I am jealous of your many trips to the Nurburgring - hopefully I can sort that soon! I would quite like to go for a drive with Sabine round there in THEIR M5 ;) as I bet that'd be amazing!

Andrew - I think the E60 has aged so well and is now looking absolutely spot on; it was way ahead of its time when it came out but I do actually like the look of them now especially the M5. I can't deny that I prefer the E39 (luckily!) even the interior strangely enough but if they had one with a manual gearbox or a double clutch job then I would definitely be saving up for one now! I think I may have to skip and wait for the F10 :)
BMW E39 M5 - 2002
Volvo S90 3.0 CD - 1997
Volvo 340 GL - 1989
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2013 at 13:21
You are aware of the insurance implications on the Nuerburgring?
Things have changed a little bit lately, whatch out.
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
Crispy-d View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crispy-d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2013 at 23:35
Well yes - there basically aren't any! UK insurers would easily be able to reject any liability in the case of an incident. If I were to actually drive round there, in truth, I'd be taking a hire car and thrash that instead ;) I think the worst case is you pay a £2400 excess although I haven't checked this year yet.
BMW E39 M5 - 2002
Volvo S90 3.0 CD - 1997
Volvo 340 GL - 1989
Crispy-d View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crispy-d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2013 at 16:57
Well it's been quite a successful Easter Day so far - I have managed to rid the car of virtually all knocks, rattles and bangs and they all turned out to be down to the exhaust!

I just unbolted the exhaust, sat it on stands all the way along and rehung it - now it's perfect and much more pleasant to drive. It's quiet and smooth but with a hint of 400bhp, just the way I had hoped it would be :)

Happy Easter all,
Crispin

BMW E39 M5 - 2002
Volvo S90 3.0 CD - 1997
Volvo 340 GL - 1989
big ted View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big ted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2013 at 21:58
hi i did look at a 540i today m5 mods . lpg conversion too , but didnt ring all the bells, yes the ring is very £ if u get into trouble . but its a must , the m5 is at home there , as 007 said . u only live once ,,,, i have a video on u tube of me going round in a 458 ... how is the m5 doing have u stopped  smiling yet .......  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic