Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFinally bought an E39 M5!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big ted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2013 at 14:37
I totally agree , i drove round 4 years ago in my 944 soft top, didn't have any intention of driving to race/time my self, i drove round Well within my self. just letting the faster guys overtake , great fun .  
Sponsored Links

UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2013 at 19:30
Originally posted by Crispy-d Crispy-d wrote:

Big Ted, that looked great fun and I'm very jealous! Would love to go round there in a Ferrari - maybe one day!

UweM3 - you seem determined to put me off? I am not going to get sued as I would be hiring a car for the ring which is not only completely legal but is actually recommended by most if you read up on it; I did not mean I'd go to a bog standard rent-a-car for holiday airport runs and thrash that round because that would be stupid and surely no fun anyway as you'd be in a Polo. You can actually hire cars to race around their track and as I said in an earlier post the worst case scenario is you pay a small (or large, whichever way you look at it) deposit if you stack it, which I wouldn't. I am not an idiot and aside from having someone scratch my pride and joy in the car park I am not scared of the Nurburgring and I don't see why anyone would be if they go by the book - it's just a toll road and again like I said before I'm not going to race (I do that at Castle Combe when I need to get it out of my system) I would be going for a drive round a famous road as hundreds of thousands of other motorists do just for the enjoyment of it!

No I am don't want to put you off!
I want you to be AWARE.

If you would have made it more clear that you (as I suggested BTW) would go to rent-a-racecar and the likes I could have saved my time.

It was quite popular in the past to hire a car (and they have others not just Polo's) from AVIS etc and then trash it round the Ring.

The Ring is not what is used to be in the past thanks to Clarkson and some car magazines etc. "fly-drive the Ring" and "gumball" spring to my mind. Or "do the Ring for cheap with a £500 banger".....

E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
Crispy-d View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crispy-d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2013 at 20:02
In all fairness I've just re-read my original post and I can see why you would have thought that - but to tell the truth I'm just not that sort of person and taking any road going hire car round the ring to actually trash didn't even cross my mind, and it still doesn't, because that doesn't make sense to me?! Surely one goes there to drive round in something special and enjoy the day out, not prat around in a 'normal' car. You can hire dedicated track cars and I have spoken to countless numbers of people who have done exactly that so I will be doing exactly the same as they have all come back reporting that it was one the best days out they've ever had!

There is so much information regarding the Nurburgring available I think I'd have to be a clutz not to be aware of the rules and regulations, and being the person that I am they are the first thing that I read about when I first wanted to go out there. But I do appreciate that you are looking out for fellow members so thank you.

BMW E39 M5 - 2002
Land Rover 110 4.0 V8 - 1986
BMW E39 530d Manual SE - 2001
BMW E34 540i 6 Speed Manual - 1995
Volvo S90 3.0 CD - 1997
Volvo 460 Si Turbo - 1995
Volvo 340 GL - 1989
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2013 at 21:19
Originally posted by Crispy-d Crispy-d wrote:

In all fairness I've just re-read my original post and I can see why you would have thought that - but to tell the truth I'm just not that sort of person and taking any road going hire car round the ring to actually trash didn't even cross my mind, and it still doesn't, because that doesn't make sense to me?! Surely one goes there to drive round in something special and enjoy the day out, not prat around in a 'normal' car. You can hire dedicated track cars and I have spoken to countless numbers of people who have done exactly that so I will be doing exactly the same as they have all come back reporting that it was one the best days out they've ever had!

There is so much information regarding the Nurburgring available I think I'd have to be a clutz not to be aware of the rules and regulations, and being the person that I am they are the first thing that I read about when I first wanted to go out there. But I do appreciate that you are looking out for fellow members so thank you.

Renting a car from RSR or rent-a-race car is probably the best thing you can do and you will have a great time!

I didn't meant to come across like the "know it all better", I just seen it too many times people taking it lightly and coming home with a few K's worth of a bill.
It can happen soooo quickly on the ring.

It's a real shame that the place is so overrun and expensive these days.
Going round the Ring is one of the most exciting things you can do without taking your clothes off IMHO and once you have done enough laps to remember the place it's a real thrill once "it comes all together".
And that's regardless of the lap time. It just feels good when you can string all the sections together and you know, this was a good lap!!!

So go out there, drive fast, eat steak and talk petrol!

(....pizza with filet steak in the Pistenklause is ACE!)
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
big ted View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big ted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-July-2013 at 22:21
hi Crispy. how is the m5 doing . i might be off the the ring again next month , just trying to get some tickets. i am still looking at cars, ha ha 
Crispy-d View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crispy-d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-August-2013 at 22:50
Hi Big Ted!

The car's still defining perfection for me :) thank you! Literally just got back in from another random drive and I'm still grinning from it.

You haven't found a car yet then? There are a few online for sale at the moment, some of them look quite good! The market actually seems to have picked up a little though so finding a bargain might be a bit more difficult now.

The trip to the ring is on the back burner for now as I bought a house last week so am being a little tight at the moment. But once I've moved in, got settled and have a little more time on my hands as well as shorter pockets then I'll re-plan the trip! What will you be taking there?
BMW E39 M5 - 2002
Volvo S90 3.0 CD - 1997
Volvo 340 GL - 1989
big ted View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big ted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2013 at 13:30
Hi all , well i finally did it. found a 535 d sport, with m5 mods , inc head up display , m5 steering wheel. paddle shift, and in lemans  Blue, my god does it go.. but on the other hand if you just keep it at 65 70 mph you get between 40 to 45 mpg, so how is your m5 doing , hope all is good and u still have your driving licence ,, Ha Ha .. Tongue 
Crispy-d View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crispy-d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2013 at 13:48
Hi Ted, good to hear from you!

Firstly, many congratulations - sounds like a very nice ride indeed!

Secondly, you manage to get more than 40mpg from it? I had read the '35d engines seldom return over 30mpg - perhaps the 'best of both worlds' really does exist then!

Finally, I do still have the M5 and my license :) I have also bought the house I had my eye on and so the money I was planning on throwing at perfecting the car has gone elsewhere so for the time being I am just enjoying it as it is (which in all fairness is still pretty close to perfect...). Actually I have racked on quite a few miles recently - it's just so hard to resist driving it!

Any photographs of the new car then?

Edited by Crispy-d - 08-December-2013 at 13:49
BMW E39 M5 - 2002
Volvo S90 3.0 CD - 1997
Volvo 340 GL - 1989
big ted View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big ted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2013 at 14:13
Hi All sounds good, i did try too upload a photo but it told me is was 2 big ? unless u know another way to upload ? 

big ted View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big ted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2013 at 14:21
i have loads on e mail , if u e mail me i can send pics,  andy@loftlivinguk.com 

Crispy-d View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crispy-d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2013 at 14:30
I think I normally load mine onto Photobucket and then copy the URL from there - the file size shouldn't be a problem then but I could be wrong!
BMW E39 M5 - 2002
Volvo S90 3.0 CD - 1997
Volvo 340 GL - 1989
big ted View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big ted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2013 at 14:35
ok i will have a go tomorrow, popping into London to see a show now, have a good Sunday afternoon ... Crispy d 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic