Forum LockedCentral Region Events

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Central Region Events
    Posted: 10-January-2004 at 15:49

Hello all Central members

We are one of the larger regions and have a lot of members.

Despite this we also seem to be a quiet region.

I just thought I'd pop a post on and see if we can get some interest in a few events this year.

Does anyone have any ideas as to the kind of event they would like to attend ?

For example, would anyone be interested in a day out at Malvern ?

Its a very pleasent place, hills, lots of pubs, resturants etc, and Darren Webster, the area chappie thinks he could get a tour around the Morgan factory, with its new aero 8 (bm engine) and all the other stuff they do.

I have access to the throckmorton airfield police skid pan, ( my access is via the IAM ) we could arrange a day for a few people to do that, more than one day if interest is good, (west mercia police do charge for this, but its no more expensive than a track day). I am advised that this is weekdays only at the moment, but if there is enough interest I can ask for perhaps a saturday, the worst they can say is no. Apparentley there are several skid pads throughout the country, and some do weekend stuff.

For the family members we have the west midland safari park, severn valley railway, etc.

Plus anything else the rest of you can think of.

Any ideas ???

Members from outside the central area are of course welcome to post any ideas here, if there is something in this area they would like to see or do.

There have been posts in here saying "my god its quiet", some of them from me ! So come on you lot, what can you think of ??

Best Wishes

Nigel

Sponsored Links

Badger 540 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-January-2004 at 17:54

Thanks for the posting Nigel.

As I had said in previous communications, my experiences with other car clubs seems indicative of better turnouts at weekends than in the evenings (especially while we have the dark nights).

It's a chance to incorporate a drive, pub lunch and a good look at other members motors !!

I look forward to attending some Central Region events, as I have only been a member since September last year. 

All the best

Andy

Badger540      West Midlands
Philrose View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-January-2004 at 19:44
I'm trying to arrange a Z register event for 1st Feb.  A Cotswold Cruise starting at Gaydon. 100 mile sporting drive with a pub lunch, finishing Gaydon. Not much interest at present.
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-January-2004 at 23:17

Andy & Phil

nice to hear from you both again.

Good luck with the cruise Phil, not my bag, (as we have discussed before), but hopefully some members will support you, there were a couple of younger ones who posted a couple of months ago, if they dont respond I'll look through the back postings, and see if I can contact them.

I've spoken to Darren today, and he had a bad time last year trying to get people to respond, and horror of horrors, one of the events he tried was Malvern...six miles from where I live....and I knew nothing about it. I must try and pay more attention to the club mag, I tend to mainly look on here.

Andy, what sort of stuff would interest you?

Best Wishes

Nigel

B 7 VP View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2004 at 11:29

Nigel, Weekends are better for most people.Milton keynes has had a Monthly pub meet on a Sunday, for past few months.Hope this was going to spread around.Skid pan sounds good, what about a visit to the Mini Works, at Oxford,  and Aston Martin works.Bletchley Park is a good Visit.So many interesting places in our Region, for All the Family.

SAFETYFAST

325SME View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2004 at 11:40
Hi,

I may be one of the aformentioned younger members. I'm based in South Wales so something around the Malvern area would be good for me, depending on work commitments, and the chance to meet like minded BMW enthusiasts is always welcome. The factory visits sound like a great idea, particularly Aston Martin and Mini, and the skidpan, although having a serious application, sounds like fun.

Cheers

Steve

PS Nigel, was it you that e-mailed me recently re the advanced test?

Retro is the way forward.....
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2004 at 12:12

Hi Nigel, one car club I am a member of has a monthly meeting. The passage of events information is very immediate and up to date.

Another club used to have bi-monthly Sunday pub meets and had a good turn out. The club catered for a low production component/kit car (Clan Crusader and Irish Clan) and has about 250 members. We have had a Sunday turnout of 15 cars which is a very high proportion of members. Now that the organiser has moved to a different region, the area centre has practically fallen apart.

Regular meetings allow parts to be bought/exchanged and club regalia to be shown/sold as well. The daytime events mean you can have a good nose under someone else's bonnet etc as well as a drive.

Personally I would like to see a regular meet like the ones that Phil organised, but on a Sunday instead of an evening.

As to factory visits etc, I think that these would be an excellent way to attract members to get together. The Morgan factory sounds like a great one to begin with !!

Good luck to everyone who can get the ball rolling.

Andy   Birmingham.

Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2004 at 12:19
Hi,

A tour round the Morgan factory sounds good. Also is anyone interested in a member meet in the East Midlands?

Dave (Leicester)
635CSI
M535I
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2004 at 14:57

Dave

I would be interested in an east midlands meet, the only two club things I have attended so far are an east anglian trip to france, and a north west visit to manchester airport fire station, both of them were superb

I seem to have "overlooked" all the central stuff poor darren & co had been trying to do.

What did you have in mind ?

Its family stuff I'm interested in, but DONT let that put you off suggesting pure boys own car stuff, a lot seem interested in that.

Best Wishes

Nigel

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2004 at 15:02

Ok guys

We seem to have a bit of interest in Malvern.

Darren tried this last year and only had 1 person reply.

Would you be kind enough to indicate who would attend this, and I will go back to him and see if we can get it going.

I obviously would attend this, so i'll start by putting myself forward.

I'LL GO

Best Wishes

Nigel

Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2004 at 15:19
Hi All,

I would be definately interested in Malvern.

As for the east midlands maybe a pub meet on a Sunday or Saturday where we can all have a chat and show off our cars!

Dave (Leicester)
E12 M535I (Only one left now)
E28 M535I (New work car)
E24 635CSI (Just for Fun)
E23 728I (Extended loan to my Dad)
E21 323I (For her in doors)

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2004 at 15:28

Dave

Sounds good, make it a kiddy friendly pub and I'll come over.

I'll get back in touch with Darren and try to get him on here.

With you, me, and Darren, as far as I'm concerned thats an event!

I'm about to contact good old John and Jeff, and find out how we do things without upsetting people and bringing the club into disrepute with regards to insurance, non members and the like, so hang about a bit,

I'LL BE BACK lol

Best Wishes

Nigel

Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2004 at 15:49
Nigel,

Kiddy friendly pub sounds fine, I'll have a look whats around. How does the end of Jan sound?

Dave
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2004 at 15:56
Sounds great Dave, let me get the who can and cant stuff settled before I get us both expelled lol
Best Wishes

Nigel

Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2004 at 17:03

Good suggestions Guys !!

Yep, put me down for the Malvern visit.

As for the pub lunch, I'm north of Birmingham, so maybe an E Midlands meeting would be a good one.

Go for it folks !!

Andy

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2004 at 17:34

Ok chaps

Ironically I've just had a call from Jeff, one of the club chaps, all we have to do is let our area rep, Darren webster in our case, know.

I've just e-mailed him, as I dont yet have permission to put his contact details on here, although they are in the club mag, if you want to ring him.

Go for it Dave, I'll come, looks like Andy will too.

Sunday is better for me, what about you two ?

Best Wishes

Nigel

Philrose View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2004 at 18:29
Another place to visit is Hams Hall engine plant near Coleshill and of course thats BMW. The 02 register went round and I know they would be delighted to show us round. I dont know if Sundays are possible though. 
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2004 at 19:02

Thats a nice idea Phil.

Any idea of the cost ?

Times available etc.

Best Wishes

Nigel

Peter H View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2004 at 19:53

Hi All, plant visits are normaly free as it tends to be regarded as a bit of a marketing exercise, that said a few years ago we did have to pay to go round Jordan GP

I`d be interested in Morgan, - Has anyone thought about networking out to other parts of the forum ?, some members might only look ar their region/register & would be interested in going.

Das Wolperdinger

AHN-NYUNG-HEE GA-SEH-YO
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2004 at 22:41

Well said Peter

This is of course open to all to read, but I was trying to actually get something going first.

On the subject of grub meets, how about a sunday grub club !!

David had the idea, so he sets the first one up in the east midlands, providing we all get along and its fun, andy does the next in his area, then me, and so on, as people join we could go to thier area, maybe once a month .

Darren is a busy chap so although I've e-mailed him, it might take a couple of days to get dealt with.

Best Wishes

Nigel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic