Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW ///M Power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockede30 m3 not starting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhups Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: e30 m3 not starting
    Posted: 29-December-2012 at 14:58
Hi Guys,
Having problems with the car,been parked up for a couple of weeks and now it will not start. It turns over but will not fire,checked the plugs and they looked a bit wet as if they were flooded,I am getting spark at the plugs but it looks a bit weak,should this be really bright? Cleaned the plugs and refitted but no go,took the plugs out again and they definitely look flooded! Any advice? Cheers
Sponsored Links

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-December-2012 at 10:42
I'm sure Gary (wendy) told me he had the same problem on his E30, the only way he could get flooded plugs to restart was bake them in the oven to dry them out.  We were both sober at the time........
Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-December-2012 at 12:24
You could try to heat the plugs to properly dry them out, either use your kitchen oven or blow torch them and fit them to the car hot and fire up as quickly as possible, or put a new set in there.

GSF were selling them very cheap a few years back, not sure what they currently charge, but you want Bosch X5 DTC.

I would check the resistance of the crank position sensors to ensure they're within spec, should be 550 ohms +/-10%.

Also check the resistance of the cold start sensor (blue) on the coolant rail above the exhaust manifold, cold it should read around 2000 ohms.

Also remove the dizzy cap and rotor arm and clean all contact point with a bit of emery paper or similar if there are no obvious issues with them.

Sport Evolution Schwarz #043
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-December-2012 at 13:51
Originally posted by Sporty1 Sporty1 wrote:

You could try to heat the plugs to properly dry them out, either use your kitchen oven

So I wasn't mistaken then, good stuff.
Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2013 at 16:42
E30 M3 do like to foul the plugs very quickly when the battery is just a little bit low.

-- Make sure your plugs are dry'ish
-- Charge battery or better use a second FULL battery to support cranking
(I would even consider using a second car with a RUNNING engine but you do this at own risk.....)
-- Now comes the trick, when cranking use FULL THROTTLE! Yes FULL throttle with a flooded M3 engine.

The E30 M3 ECU will richen up the mixture a lot when cold and the throttle depressed. Byt pressing the throttle fully down, you will STOP more fuel to be injected.

Just make sure you lift off quick enough when the engine fires up.

Try it, as long as there are no faults with the car it will most likely start.
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic