Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedcold start misfire

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnnydev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cold start misfire
    Posted: 14-November-2012 at 21:46
2002 e39 530i   rough running on start-up..  problem clears when temp guage hits 12 o'clock               no emissions light comes on    swapped ignition coils   with known good ones!!!  plugs have done just over 15k  problem seemed to coincide with running out of fuel (with 40 miles range showing)a few weeks ago   any ideas??
Sponsored Links

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-November-2012 at 09:01
You should still have had enough fuel in the tank to have avoided it sucking in sludge, I've had both my E39 and E60 down to less than 30 mile range and appart from me stressing about finding fuel the car has been fine.  You might have picked up a bit of sludge from the tank.

Are you using good quaility fuel? 

Could just have been coincidence on the fuel thing.  Fill up from empty with VPower and put a fill of a fuel system cleaner in the tank.  Might be an injector partially blocked.

Or could be needing an oil change.  Oil when worn out on a cold start up will make the engine sound rough.

How is the air filter? Might be worth checking the MAF and any air hoses for leaks etc.  When was the fuel filter changed?  I could do with swaping mine out while I'm thinking about it.....

It won't take long for a big 6 pot to have its temp gauge hit normal.
Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
johnnydev View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnnydev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-November-2012 at 19:19
castrol edge 0-30 in june  only ever used this stuff  (£35 from ASDA 4litres) it's had 4 oil services since bought in may2008...temp guage always hits 12 o'clock in 2-3 miles and has never moved whilst going.
is maf the mass airflow sensor on the inlet manifold??    ummm  errr  fuel filter has not been changed since I bought the car  thanks for your advise
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-November-2012 at 09:00
I've moved this post into the 5 Series Forum.....

The MAF will be between the air filter housing and the inlet manifold.

Sounds like the oil is o.k. good quality stuff regular enough, how is the oil level?  Going by what you say about the temp gauge, that sounds normal and healthy.

If it continues it might be worth getting a diagnostic done.

Could be a crank or cam sensor on its way out or something on the EGR/PCV side of things begining to go the way of the dodo.
Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-November-2012 at 09:31
Start with getting the codes read.

Sport Evolution Schwarz #043
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic