Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > General Motors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedElectric cars and pollution

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electric cars and pollution
    Posted: 05-October-2012 at 12:25
At last someone has got the balls to come out with the fact that Electric cars might be more harmfull to the environment that petrol or DIEsel cars because their fuel comes from great big dirty polluting COAL fuelled power stations and the energy required to make them in the first place.

Well D'uh!

Edited by Andrew Rolland - 05-October-2012 at 13:01
Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Sponsored Links

BMWchic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMWchic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-December-2012 at 15:27
Something will always cause problems, if they leave petrol out of the calculation then electricity will eventually destroy things too..There's always a minus where theres a plus! Never a win-win (except push - bikes!)
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2013 at 13:25
...and another story as to why electric cars aren't as 'green' as first thought.

Again, D'uh!

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
EconomyCarLeasing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EconomyCarLeasing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2013 at 11:56

With an electric vehicle production , there are twice of global warming potential than that of conventional vehicles.  A lot of toxic minerals such as nickel,  copper and aluminium are required for producing batteries and electric motors.

thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2013 at 12:25
Originally posted by EconomyCarLeasing EconomyCarLeasing wrote:

A lot of toxic minerals such as nickel, and aluminium are required for producing batteries and electric motors.

And when the batteries need replacing what happens to the old ones? Into a landfill where they take decades to degrade. More pollution!
Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2013 at 12:39
Not to mention the fact that the batteries will not last as long as the rest of the car.  When the car is 7 years old it will more than likely need new batteries depending on how they have been charged/discharged and the cost of this will outweigh the current value of the car, rendering the whole lot only useful for making baked bean cans out of.

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic