Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked6 pots & coil packs etc

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote recardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 6 pots & coil packs etc
    Posted: 29-September-2012 at 11:54
AFAIK, from t;interweb browsing the only achilies heel on the big 6 pots is the coil packs, seen loads of post on the 3 series 4 pots too.

My question is - how do you know on a 6 pot if a coil pack fails?   Is it obvious?  how would you diagnose this?  Would it chuck up warning lights and error codes?

BTW - my cars fine, but if it were to happen, I'd rather be able to diagnose and fix myself than pay someone else!
E60 525i (3.0i) M-Sport
Sponsored Links

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-October-2012 at 08:20
If the coil fails you would get a missfire on that cylinder.  Usually a diagnostic check would pick up a coil fault.  You could swap them around in the engine to confirm a failure.  They are kinda pricey so you would want to know which one failes before replacing them all.  I thought about replacing my coil packs when I did my spark plugs but at £20-£30 each I declined.
Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
recardo View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote recardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-October-2012 at 07:40
Thanks Andrew.

Thats what i was thinking too - replacing coils & plugs at next service, but if it ain't broke....
E60 525i (3.0i) M-Sport
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-October-2012 at 08:45
Yeah.  Agree.

It is an easy job to do to swap out coil packs esp on a 6 pot engine like yours.  IIRC that will be one single cover then that's you straight at the top of the coils all nicely lined up at the top of the engine.  You won't have to move the air filter box or move the air conditioning lines or persuade the brake lines to move a bit to get your coils out..........
Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic