Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW ///M Power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCamshaft combination for S14 2.3

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmwian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Camshaft combination for S14 2.3
    Posted: 10-September-2012 at 18:10
May I have suggestions for the best camshafts for the E30 M3 so that I get more power, but also remain usable  in traffic.

Are Schrick the best?
Ian
(EGO) E30 M3

Sponsored Links

stevesingo View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevesingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-September-2012 at 18:14
Schrick are certainly popular.

Do you have a 215ps engine '89 on or and earlier 195/200ps engine. The stock inlet cams are different in both.

215 have have a 264deg inlet cam, 195/200 have 248deg.

The options range from Schrick 276 or 284 intake and use the 264 intake cam on the exhaust side.

Schrick 276/276
Schrick 284/276
Schrick 284/284
Schrick 292/276
Schrick 292/284

All of the above will idle fine (I have 292/284 and it is fine).

You will need a custom remap if you fit any cams.

The other common option is to change the engine management by removing the air flow meter and using a piggyback unit to use TPS/engine speed.

Maxx A/N piggyback is popular and is easily fitted and self maps for fuel. The only downside is that you can't map the ignition advance, but Maxx will give you a generic chip with a modified ign map.

Unichip is another piggyback option which can be mapped for ign timing, but is a dealer fit and map, so costs more. ShepsM3 on this board (and others) fits these with good results.

Steve
1990 Sport Evo No.47 Motec EMS
bmwian View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmwian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-September-2012 at 17:39
Hi Steve and thanks for the post.

Sorry not got back sooner but work got in the way.

My car was a 195 with cats, 1989 German import in 1998. I had the cats removed and a chip fitted which now gives me 212 but I still have to afm.

Is there any way of predicting the hp for each of the combinations? Silly question I suppose but I don't want to waste my pension.

Any problems with valve/piston contact?

Ian
(EGO) E30 M3

Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevesingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-September-2012 at 21:47
With P/V clearances, there is sometimes issues with 284/276 combos sometimes not. As to why I suspect it is because heads have been skimmed, but as most of these cars have had multiple owners no-one can state with certainty if their head has been skimmed or not. A competent installer should check this anyway.

The best bang for the buck is the change in engine management and follow that with an airbox (which are pricey!)

As your's is an early engine the intake ports are smaller so they will limit your gains.

Unless you want to get head work, 284/276 with Maxx A/N or Unichip.

Steve
bmwian View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmwian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-October-2012 at 16:30
Thanks for all the help guys. Very much appreciated.
Ian
(EGO) E30 M3

UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2012 at 10:19
Originally posted by bmwian bmwian wrote:

Hi Steve and thanks for the post.

Sorry not got back sooner but work got in the way.

My car was a 195 with cats, 1989 German import in 1998. I had the cats removed and a chip fitted which now gives me 212 but I still have to afm.

Is there any way of predicting the hp for each of the combinations? Silly question I suppose but I don't want to waste my pension.

Any problems with valve/piston contact?

just my personal opinion.....

For a start I am sceptical about the 212bhp just with a chip. Would have
been useful to see a before and after graph. Knowing that most 195 bhp engine are not even making 195 to start with that's a gain of almost 20bhp!
And which chip is it you are using? Off the shelf or custom mapped?
What Dyno was used?
(I had over 250bhp after a custom remap on my engine which turned out to be 230 on another Dyno)

A word of warning, don't expect a massive gain in performance when upgrading cams on a 195 bhp engine. I may feel not much different from the driver seat at all. You will only see the difference when driving next to a M3 with stock cams.

Another word of warning, any modification on the M3 engine will only be as good as the MAPPING followed afterwards.

If I would have money to spend, I would go to Sheps and get a Unichip fitted as the first thing.
If you are still not happy, add cams later.
If you are still not happy, get the head ported.
If you are still not happy, add a carbon airbox

Usually you would raise the CR with "hotter" cams to make the most of it to start. Hence my opinion to get the Unichip and mapping first.

But all this is just my personal opinion.

Edited by UweM3 - 26-October-2012 at 10:21
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevesingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2012 at 07:00
Wise words from Uwe.

Steve

E61 % series? You are going up in the world.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic