Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBalljoint removal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Balljoint removal
    Posted: 05-September-2012 at 13:20
I'm planning to do a bit of work on the car which will involve the need to remove the track rod end balljoint taper from the hub carrier.

My scissor type ball joint seperator will not fit as the design of taper pin on the track rod end has a no exposed pin for the ball joint seperator to fit around.

The Haynes Book of Parodies states that a ball joint seperator is not required (probably because it does not fit!) and their suggestion is the undo the nut and run it up to the top of the thread then hit the nut to shock the taper of the track rod end out the hub carrier. 

As I want to re-use the track rod end (as they are only 18 months old) I don't want to damage it i.e. the rubber gaiter. 

Any tips other that hitting it out for removing it?  A mate at work has also suggested the Haynes approach.  Don't really want to heat it either as this may damage the rubber gaiter.

Basically remove part #5 from part #2 without damaging either!

Ta

Andrew
Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Sponsored Links

Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-September-2012 at 08:55
Hit part #2 with large hammer to 'shock out' part#5.

Sport Evolution Schwarz #043
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-September-2012 at 12:23
I know it won't help you but I had the same problem and made a ball joint splitter myself.

there are other types of splitters than the scissor type but you will find it difficult NOT to damage the rubber boot.

that some sort of what my DIY splitter looks like

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?hl=en&cp=12&gs_id=5i&xhr=t&q=ball+joint+splitter&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&biw=1362&bih=847&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=17224730109423409731&sa=X&ei=zYdIUMeUKqj_4QSDm4G4BA&sqi=2&ved=0CEUQ8wIwAA

you just need to make the "U" section small enough to not damage the rubber boot

or try this type
fork splitter

Edited by UweM3 - 06-September-2012 at 12:27
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-September-2012 at 13:11
Thanks for that, how did you make up a tool.  I'm trying to imagine bits of wood and some lengths of angle iron I've got in the garage to make something up with and using a couple of 6" G clamps.

Neither the Laser splitter or the pickle fork will work due to the fact that not only is there a taper fit but there is a form of domed head (above the rubber gaiter) on the bottom of the ball joint shaft (part #5) that is recessed into a 'cup' on part #2.  So you would actually be pushing against the same part.  Hence why I think it is a hit it off only.....and why my scissor type and the others suggested will not fit.

If I had a decent picture I could explain better.

Cheers for the info.

Andrew

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-September-2012 at 15:48
I know what you mean Andrew. I had the same problem hence made a splitter to suit.

I have used steel and welded it all up and shaped the U-bit how I needed it. But in the end I still damaged the rubber boot. Luckily I am a hoarder and keep ALL the old parts I replace and could steal a boot off an old arm.
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-September-2012 at 18:47
Thanks Uwe.

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-September-2012 at 19:43
Work done and tapers were very easily released as on un-doing the nuts the ball joints rotated in their tapers which meant once the nuts were removed they needed very little persuasion to come out.   No need for a ball joint seperating tool. Phew!

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic