Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedE39 Sport steptronic

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robin814 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: E39 Sport steptronic
    Posted: 22-July-2012 at 23:58
Hey guys.

Just been doing some looking up on the E39 525i Sport, and noticed that some models have the steptronic gearbox.

My question is probably known by some gurus out there and not by me, an E39 newbie.

Was the steptronic an option in the UK or just in the USA?

If it was available in the UK, was it an option or standard on the 525i sport.

Tried looking on the net and nothing has really threw up except Australian sites.
Sponsored Links

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-July-2012 at 08:54
All automatic E39s except one or two made when the model was launched in '96 have a 'steptronic' autobox.  The automatic gearbox was an optional extra £~1500, but this included the steptronic part. 

All this means is you have a fully automated conventional automatic gearbox with the ability to manually change the gears.  You have the usual PRND then when in D you shift the stick sideways over to put it into Sport mode (fully automatic but the car stays in the lower gear for longer improving performance).  Once in Sport mode you then either push the stick forwards for up shift and backwards for down shift.   This is indicated on the consoul with a M (manual mode) and the +- symbols + being up shift - down shift. 

It allows you to manually change between gears as opposed to changing drive ranges. 

The early E39 steptronics have the up and down gear shifts in different directions from the facelifted E39 with steptronic gearboxes.  i.e. push the stick forwards will down shift etc.  The orientation of the +- symbols is different.

My E39 (pre facelift) which was steptronic has the +- manual shift in the different orientation from my E60.  I thought my E39 was round the wrong way and prefer the orientation of the E60 manual shift.

The E39 525i Sport will have a steptronic autobox.  That will be a post facelift model so the up shift will be towards the rear of the car and the down shift will be towards the dashboard, like my E60 but the other way round from pre facelift E39s.

HTH

Andrew
Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-July-2012 at 20:13
The sport mode also uses 4 gears IIRC (and drinks more) but when you bump it into manual mode you are back to having 5 gears.
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
Robin814 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robin814 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-July-2012 at 21:37
Cheers lads for the info. Knew someone would have the direct answer.

It will be a few years from now when I can get my grubby hands on one.
jim-beamer View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jim-beamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2012 at 23:17
Originally posted by Robin814 Robin814 wrote:

Cheers lads for the info. Knew someone would have the direct answer.

It will be a few years from now when I can get my grubby hands on one.

oh, from the interest you've shown in mine, i think you'll have one sooner than that robin...lol...Big smile

Edited by jimbo/e36 - 29-September-2012 at 23:18

E53 X5, 2003 318i SE, Suzuki GSXR
www.jgrecovery.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic