Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked5 and 6 Series Recalled...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 5 and 6 Series Recalled...
    Posted: 27-March-2012 at 10:23
...again

This time for battery cable issues, anything on the E60/61/63/64 platform is potentially affected.

Will wait and see when they write to me.  As long as they let me take it to a dealer of my choice, I'm not too fused.

It needs a service in a few months time, mibbie I can get it checked then, save taking it to the dealer again.
Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Sponsored Links

nero View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Just call me Tripod

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2012 at 12:48
Originally posted by Andrew Rolland Andrew Rolland wrote:

... I'm not too fused...

The irony of your misspelling LOL

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2012 at 13:21
...and hence why I'm an Engineer and not a Journalist!

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
nero View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Just call me Tripod

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2012 at 16:35
I'm an Engineer too, but a quality, Quality Engineer LOL

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2012 at 23:37
Originally posted by nero nero wrote:

I'm an Engineer too, but a quality, Quality Engineer LOL
What does a quality engineer make ?
Best Wishes

Nigel

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2012 at 08:26
I was wondering that too... Quality Street ChocolatesLOL

I'm guessing it's all about ensuring that other Engineers/trades etc stay within the rules with what ever they are engineering/designing/building/fixing. 

As a Civil Engineer worrking on the Railway we are bound by various Design Codes etc to ensure that the footbridge or underbridge we have designed, built and then installed has all been done to the correct rules, so it doesn't fall on someones head etc.  Has the designer used the correct design codes, has the fabricator bought the correct grade of steel, has the welder taken due care and attention to ensure his weld meets the correct Standards for welding procedures etc.  Has all the mountains of paperwork been filled out to say that the enginer/welder has done everything correctly.  The Quality Assurance process is quite a rigorous one and big client organisations like the one I work for, love it.

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dergside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2012 at 12:04
Originally posted by Nigel Nigel wrote:

What does a quality engineer make ?

I'm not an engineer but I think I have an analogy to demonstrate.  A Quality Engineer is like a sweeper using a broom.  The sweeper uses it to clean up the mess made and left behind by the people that design, make and improve things.  People mightn't notice the sweeper but they'll notice when the debris hasn't been cleared up.

Wink
Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dergside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2012 at 12:06
Sorry - to finish the analogy and answer the question - the quality engineer makes the neat pile of dust on the floor....... Geek
Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
Cambell View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-April-2012 at 12:11
I'm a Quality Engineer too, just means I'm a good engineer "Innit !"
540 V8 View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2012 at 23:20
Just to go back to the original subject *COUGH*
When BMW write to you, do you not have a choice as to which dealer you go to?
When Mercedes initiate a recall they put it on a system that the dealers can access. When the reg is input it will flag up the vehicle is due a recall. The dealer in the area of the said vehicle is made responsible for getting that recall done so they basically have a list of vehicle which are on their recall list. The customer can go to any dealer of his choosing and once the claim goes through warranty, the recall for the said vehicle gets deleted off the system and the associated dealer is free of the burden of having that recall of that vehicle against their name.
It's a little unfair because if the vehicle is kept out of that dealer area and the dealer has no real way of getting the customer to get that recall done, when the dealers are given their bonuses for hitting their key performance indicators, they are marked down on teh number of recalls which are on their list but have not been done, even though it's not really their fault. I guess it's Mercs way of making 'someone' in the field responsible for getting that vehicle done.
I'm guessing if BMW run a similar system it may be that particular dealer wanting to take responsibility for their recall list and keep it within their control but IMHO they shouldn't have control over where you go.

On the second subject, I am merely an engineer of my own success and consequently, my own downfall depending on how people use the structure of the relationship I have contsructed, the bridges I have built and the fence on which I sit. Wink

Mike

Current:E34 540i Touring 6 speed manual(Mpower bodykit & suspension)& Chrysler Voyager 3.3 V6 auto
Previous:E34 530iSE AC Schnitzer suspension.
E28 525e auto-Standard
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2012 at 08:21
I've had nothing thru from BMW on this one whatsoever.

It needs an oil change in 1000 miles time and a vehicle check in a little over 2000 miles so it will probably be heading to the dealer for the vehicle check, haven't decided if I'll do the oil change myself or not yet. 

I wonder if they would do the 'recall' if it was in for a service at the same time?

Nero's not been back on to tell us what  Quality Engineer does?LOL

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
540 V8 View Drop Down
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2012 at 23:34
Well if we get a vehicle in, especially if it's a pre booking as usually it would be, we would check the recall history at the time of booking. If it's due a recall we'd get the parts organised so when it's in for it's service or whatever work, we'd inform the customer we may need the vehicle for longer to carry out the recall.
Mercedes have a big thing about getting everything done in a timely manner with minimum downtime for the vehicle so to let a vehicle leave without a known recall being done is largely frowned upon. I'd be very surprised if other manufacturers didn't have a similar view.

One thing to get used to, the more advanced our vehicles become, the more recalls and warranty work we are going to be founds needs doing and that is a fact. The technology is having to advance so quickly thanks to our friends in Brussells the manufacturers don't get enough time to thouroughly test and develop the vehicles so they get developed in the marketplace with us as their guinea pigs. Makes you feel special doesn't it? LOL

Mike 

Current:E34 540i Touring 6 speed manual(Mpower bodykit & suspension)& Chrysler Voyager 3.3 V6 auto
E28 525e auto-Standard
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2012 at 16:10
hmmm, I have an E61 now. wonder if I should take it to the dealer for checking the service history they have about it.
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
Wisp View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wisp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-June-2012 at 16:51
Hi Folks

Newbie here so be gentle.........

DON'T WAIT for the dealer to get in touch as this won't be happening !  get on the phone yourself to then and ask then to check your chassis number against the recall mastersheet..............get it booked in ASAP and it'll be done.

Mine was in the dealers today and was done - it was them that told me that the dealers will not be making contact with owners, it's the other way round.Smile
E60 520d M Sport Carbon black / Black dakota leather :-)
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-June-2012 at 20:10
I've done a visual myself of the battery cable, no signs of chaffing or other signs that something is in distress.  I'm quite happy given nothing untoward was noticed to wait for the recall or next time I'm passing I'll pop in.
I did my own servicing so haven't been to the service department.  Part dept yes, but I'd forgotten about this issue when I was at the dealer last time.

If it were serious enough they will contact you.  Don't they have too by law?

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Wisp View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wisp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-June-2012 at 21:12
Andrew

They're not calling it a recall........... it's a "quality enhancement" ??  I guess this gets round any legislation whereby the owness is on them to contact owners, instead it's up to you !

My advice is, if only for peace of mind, get in touch with the nearest BMW dealer and get it booked in as soon as.

It's a no cost service by BMW so why wouldn't you take advantage and have the work added to the main database ?
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-June-2012 at 21:53
Interesting they are not calling it a re-call, hmm.  I'll mibbie make a phone call then.
Originally posted by Wisp Wisp wrote:

It's a no cost service by BMW so why wouldn't you take advantage and have the work added to the main database ?

I've been taken advantage of before at a BMW dealer!

Like I said, I'm not fussed but I'll get it checked out when I have time.

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
540 V8 View Drop Down
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2012 at 23:09
If it is a safety recall then yes, they must contact you by law. They would use DVLA records to get the details fo the latest owner.

Mike

E28 525e auto-Standard
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2012 at 08:59
Originally posted by 540 V8 540 V8 wrote:

If it is a safety recall then yes, they must contact you by law.

That did go thru my mind when I read the earlier post.  Still nothing yet.

Mibbie they have checked their records and it is only certain models of E60 rather than all E60 chassis?

Mine has the huge 110amphour battery so mibbie the cable arrangements is different from the more common models in the range which have a smaller battery????

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Wisp View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wisp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2012 at 09:59
I think all E60's were included in this "quality enhancement",  but I can confirm that BMW UK will not be calling or getting in touch ................it's up to you.

It's simply a phone call to your nearest dealer & quote the chassis number-  so give them a buzz & see what they tell you ?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic