Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedE60 CBS - Microfilters

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: E60 CBS - Microfilters
    Posted: 20-March-2012 at 08:50
I replaced my Microfilters in my E60 two years ago, so that's about 18,000 miles ago,  I re-set the iDrive and this gave a remaining distance of 34,000 miles to go.

I've now got 1,300 miles remaing on the Microfilters, which is somewhat less than I think I should have.  I don't really use the fan at high speeds to draw in loads of air thru them so I'm struggling to see how the CBS system thinks they wear out/clog up so soon.

Oil CBS can be based on engine temp, engine speed and load and that's all very easy for a 'puter to measure and make a stab at remaining service intervals.  Brakes are measured by a wear sensor so again it's dead easy for a computer to work out service intervals but how exactly is the remaining service interval calculated for the cabin Microfilters?

Anyone know?

Dead easy to change, the longest part of the job is resetting the iDrive and filling out the service book.
Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Sponsored Links

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-April-2012 at 08:20
I replaced the microfilters with genuine BMW ones (£80 for the pair) last Saturday morning.  The CBS had droped to 390 miles to go by then, but I certainly haven't done 900 miles since the above post.  I think it must be a two yearly replacement regardless of mileage.  On re-setting the iDrive it went to 34,000 miles to go for replacement.

The re-set bit and the filling in the service book took longer than changing the filters.

So if I had taken it to BMW, what would they have charged me?  By the time the service girl smiles nicely at you, you sign the paper work, they move the car about, a mechanic brings it in to the workshop does the work on it, drives it out to the wash and hoover bay for it to be washed and hoovered, car gets moved again, the service desk girl phones you to tell you its ready, smiles nicely at you when you collect it......All those extra bits obviously cost money so they have the charge for that.

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-April-2012 at 13:55
Originally posted by Andrew Rolland Andrew Rolland wrote:

All those extra bits obviously cost money so they have the charge for that.
Maybe the service desk girl smiling because she knows another customer is coming to pay their costs!!!
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2014 at 21:37
Originally posted by Andrew Rolland Andrew Rolland wrote:

I replaced the microfilters with genuine BMW ones (£80 for the pair) last Saturday morning. 

Yip must be a two yearly thing for Micro filters as I've just dropped in two new genuine ones, yesterday, two years later. Although I did not pay £80 for them!

Now that BMW do value line parts, I ordered a Service kit which contains two micro filters and an oil filter. All genuine parts in genuine BMW boxes but the two filters + oil filter cost £67.12. Oil filter alone is almost £20 so I got a micro filter more or less for £7!

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic