Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedE60 heating / controls / top vents

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote recardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: E60 heating / controls / top vents
    Posted: 06-March-2012 at 19:30
got a question on my e60 - the windscreen vents always have warm/hot air coming out, even when I have the driver & passenger temps as low as they go.  Cold air comes out the foot and centre vents ok.  (this is with air con off - its not warm enough for air con yet!)

Is there something i need to change on the idrive climate settings?  I'm stumped and the warm air going to the windscreen will get right on my thrupney bits when the weather gets better!
E60 525i (3.0i) M-Sport
Sponsored Links

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-March-2012 at 12:41
Have you gone in via the Climate part of the idrive and turned down the heat that comes out of the vents independantly of the heater dials? 

You can change the amount of air that comes out of each vent via the iDrive and you can alter the heat between 4 red bars and 4 blue bars.  This was controleld by a dial between the vents on the E39 and BMW reverted back to this on the E90 3ers.
Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
recardo View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote recardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-March-2012 at 08:25
Hi Andrew

Yes - I have reduced the number of blocks for the top vent down to 3 or 4 blocks (rather than full / all the way tio the right) and have the blue bars in the middle at 4 bars.

I also checked with air con on and temp at lowest setting - Ice cold air from the middle and lower vents, but still warm air from the top vents to windscreen.  so still stumped!
E60 525i (3.0i) M-Sport
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-July-2014 at 16:25
I've recently had this very occasionally.

I got hot air from the windscreen vents and foot vents regardless of the temp dials and regardless of the iDrive adjustment for hot or cold air out of the central vents.

What I did to cure it was turn on the max aircon.  i.e. press the centre of the passenger side heater dial this switches on the aircon and resurc and turns the fan speed to max (drowning out the radio!).  Switch it off and cold air remains comming out of the windscreen and foot vents.  This has worked on each occasion.  Its not a fix but a fudge to get the system to work

It must be a form of electrical/programe issue.  The heater valves (in the engine cooling system) are being left open regardless of heater dial position.  Although I think I remember hearing about sticking heater valves on E39s.  In my case the heater dial was always on cold and not moved at all.  Mibbie on switching the engine on/off the heater valves open and shut and on occasion stick?

Although given the hot weather a bit of extra engine cooling via the heater is no bad thing!
Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic