Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedE60 radio reception

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote recardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: E60 radio reception
    Posted: 18-February-2012 at 11:46
E60 Radio Reception - mine seems quite rubbish, is there anything that can be done to improve this?
E60 525i (3.0i) M-Sport
Sponsored Links

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2012 at 11:56
Any particular area of the country you are having problems in?  Mine is o.k. until I go into the wilds of Perthshire, but a friends Fiat Punto which has D.A.B. radio is crystal clear even in Rannoch! Could just be radio broadcast strength.

Or you have a problem with your amplifier I think this is in the boot or parcel shelf area as the rear windscreen has an inbuilt areial.  Try checking the fuses which are in the boot above the battery behind the offside rear wing.

Let us know how you get on.

Andrew

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
recardo View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote recardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2012 at 13:07
I'm in ayrshire, but traveling from the west coast through to the east varies.  Real XS is the worst, had really poor reception on this even near glasgow, last week wasnt too bad though.....

I'll check the fuses and see if there is anything amiss there
E60 525i (3.0i) M-Sport
recardo View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote recardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2012 at 21:05
cant see anything amiss with fuses.  maybe the radios are just poor?
is there anyway to boost the signal / aerial?
E60 525i (3.0i) M-Sport
ken737 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ken737 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2012 at 19:38
Hi, are you still having radio problems?
Who needs petrol anyway...
recardo View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote recardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2012 at 08:58
Originally posted by ken737 ken737 wrote:

Hi, are you still having radio problems?

Hi Ken  - still the same, rubbish reception for Real XS (rock radio) others are fine so I have given up.  I put it down to a weak transmission for real xs and a crap ariel from BMW!!!  still it gives me an excuse to look at buying another car
E60 525i (3.0i) M-Sport
ken737 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ken737 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2012 at 14:05
Ah, ok then. You may have to bite the bullet depending on how bad your reception is. As you know, the radio reception is via the top row of wires on your heated rear screen, and this is where the problem will almost certainly lie. There is also an amplifier which can give trouble. Does your remote central locking have good range, ie at least 50 metres? If not, it'll be the amp too. Hope this helps, Ken. 
Who needs petrol anyway...
recardo View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote recardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2012 at 17:31
remote works great, had previously looked at the amp and found nothing obviously wrong.  Just having to put up with it and listen to CDs.  All the other stations are crap in their own special way ;)

E60 525i (3.0i) M-Sport
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2012 at 12:55
Thinking about this again, my sister had the same issue with the Ford radio in her Fiesta, turned out to be a blown fuse within the radio unit itself.  Fuse fixed by Ford and it worked fine afterwards.

Might be worth going to BMW?
Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
recardo View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote recardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-June-2012 at 16:37
Originally posted by Andrew Rolland Andrew Rolland wrote:

Thinking about this again, my sister had the same issue with the Ford radio in her Fiesta, turned out to be a blown fuse within the radio unit itself.  Fuse fixed by Ford and it worked fine afterwards.

Might be worth going to BMW?

For what they charge I can probably buy a new radio ;)

E60 525i (3.0i) M-Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic