Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedE60 Rear tyre wear

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: E60 Rear tyre wear
    Posted: 20-December-2011 at 13:57
I've got 9x18 rims on the rear shod with 275/35 tyres.

I need to get two new rear tyres and I have noticed that the wear on the inside shoulder is quite pronounced more so on the nearside rear.  Car has had two full four wheel aligments once in Dec 2009 and one in Feb 2011, after loosing an argument with a pothole on then after getting new track rod ends at MOT time in Feb this year.  No significant adjustments required at either time and I've not hit anything to warrant something being knocked out of shape.

Got two new tyres on order and I have asked the garage to do another full four wheel alignment but I'm just wondering if there is someting amiss in the rear suspension, i.e. something worn that is causing the tyre wear.  Any thoughts on what may be a likely component to wear on the E60?  She is now 7.5 years old with 68k on the clock.  Handles fine.

Or is it just with the wide tyres that the wear is more pronounced?  I vaguely recall seeing bad wear on the same edge when I replaced these rear tyres 3 years and 28,000 miles ago.

Any thoughts?

Andrew
Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Sponsored Links

Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-December-2011 at 09:10
From what I have seen these cars and E9X all wear their rear tyres in this manner, you're on ruinflats, yes?

Edited by Sporty1 - 21-December-2011 at 09:11

Sport Evolution Schwarz #043
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-December-2011 at 09:58
Yeah runflats.  No complaints from me from runflats, they saved my bacon two years ago.  With 35 ratio on rear and 45 ratio on the fronts there isn't much scope for sidewall flex anyhoo if I went for ordinary tyres, which are only about £20 a corner cheaper for the same make so I'm not fussed about staying on runflats.
Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-December-2011 at 09:34
Until you make the change you do not actually know what your car could ride like on 'normal' tyres, regardless of the profiles a ruinflat will still have much stonger/harder sidewall than a conventional tyre otherwise it would not be able to run on flat.

If your happy with it carry on.

Sport Evolution Schwarz #043
Cambell View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-December-2011 at 16:53
My E46 Cabrio wears like this on the rears 255 35 18. I managed to get through a set of Continental Sport Contact 3s in under 7000 miles (ouch £££) I've had a 4 wheel alignment done and been advised to replace the lower arm bushes and camber adjustment bolts, nuts and washers and get it done again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic