Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHID Xenon Upgrade Kit

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marky_d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HID Xenon Upgrade Kit
    Posted: 11-December-2011 at 08:17
Hello all, I have a small query, I have a 3 series m sport e90 on a 10 plate, I am looking to upgrade my headlights to HID Xenon, I have been told that some kits cause all kinds of problems and some are tempremental, any advice/ recommendations would be appreciated. Thank you in advance

Edited by Marky_d - 11-December-2011 at 08:18
Sponsored Links

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-December-2011 at 08:35
You will still be under BMW warranty at that age so I wouldn't touch changing headlights.

I would think that if you did change the headlight system from ordinary bulbs to Xenons would mean the car may need to be re-programmed as it will have a different effect on the electrial system including bulb failure systems.

Xenons also need to have a headlight wash system fitted too, I think.

Why do you want to change?  Standard headlights are quite good on E90's, way better than E39s!
Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-December-2011 at 21:11
what Andrew said. I wouldn't go anywhere near an aftermarket kit for such a new car. All lights are linked to the LCM = Light control module and if you fit a kit which isn't fooling the LCM good enough you will see constant bulb failure messages.

Not even speaking of the legal side.
Xenon = automatic height leveling system + high pressure wash system.

If you are not happy with the factory bulbs you can buy some of these:
http://www.powerbulbs.com/vehicles/cars/uk-ireland/bmw/3-series/1999-2005/car-headlight-bulbs

Fully agree with Andrew about E39 lights. Wax candle springs to my mind!
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
Electrolytic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Electrolytic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2012 at 23:20
don't mess up the warranty.  osram bulbs 

you can get inline resistors to sort LCM ebay.

HID auto level + washers only have to work if fitted.
hence why my car passed its MOT a few days ago with aftermarket HID's in.
shorty View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shorty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-April-2012 at 11:07
Originally posted by Marky_d Marky_d wrote:

Hello all, I have a small query, I have a 3 series m sport e90 on a 10 plate, I am looking to upgrade my headlights to HID Xenon, I have been told that some kits cause all kinds of problems and some are tempremental, any advice/ recommendations would be appreciated. Thank you in advance

Having just had my "run about" car M.O.T'd i spoke to the tester as i had read in the press that they were trying to make these kits  Ilegal as to many drivers are being "Blinded" by cars with this conversion kit . He told me that this is true & gave the following reasons .......as above drivers being blinded ......... reflectors within "Standard" cars not being up to the job & in some extream cases cars going on fire from the heat generated as the pack is normaly housed behind the plastic reflector & melts the plastic  Shocked
I then asked "Most new cars have the brighter Xenon lights fitted so how will that go ? " ....... he replyed that they will be O.K as they are "Factory Fitted" & not a kit .
Hope this helps
jimmywest73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmywest73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2012 at 11:32
I am also looking at doing the same thing thanks for all the great information guys!
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2012 at 12:27
Originally posted by UweM3 UweM3 wrote:

Surely not as bad as E30's though?! Shocked
Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2012 at 13:45
Originally posted by thepits thepits wrote:

Originally posted by UweM3 UweM3 wrote:

Surely not as bad as E30's though?! Shocked

I would say WORSE than the E30. It's a joke, never understood how this could pass the design stage.
moustapha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moustapha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-January-2013 at 17:52
If you decide to upgrade watch out for the HID's which are illegal for being too bright
Electrolytic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Electrolytic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-January-2013 at 21:10
Originally posted by moustapha moustapha wrote:

If you decide to upgrade watch out for the HID's which are illegal for being too bright

as you sure about that? 
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-January-2013 at 08:21
Originally posted by Electrolytic Electrolytic wrote:

Originally posted by moustapha moustapha wrote:

as you sure about that? 

^Suspected spammer, just came on here to plug a business in his signature which was removed.  Usual craic dug up an old post.
Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-January-2013 at 14:05
striclty speaking, ALL HID aftermarket kits are illegal.

If you passed MOT with one fitted, call yourself lucky. Or an MOT tester tunring a blind eye or not up to speed.

read here
http://assets.dft.gov.uk/publications/dft-information-sheets/aftermarket-hid-headlamps.pdf

Edited by thepits - 09-January-2013 at 14:23
moustapha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moustapha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2013 at 16:57
Yes I believe over 8k is the illegal limit here in the UK!
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-January-2013 at 13:37
nothing to do with 8k or 4k or whatever.

H I D bulbs in HALOGEN lights are not legal.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic