Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedhelp with my e34!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dumphus65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: help with my e34!
    Posted: 03-November-2011 at 20:22
Hi guys,
 Ive recently bought a 525 TDS  and am having a few probs Cry
 are you sitting comfortably lol
Firstly my temp gauge rises normally but up to halfway, its happy to sit there, then drops to quart then rises to half and so on, this is regardless of driving and traffic conditions....is this normal?
Also i have a nocking/ rumbling noise from rear drivers wheel, i thought it could bush or bearing but again its regardless of road or speed, just a constant noise..? also my abs light comes on then goes next time i drive, then reappears...? are the two linked (rumble and abs)
next lol my drivers window dont move, just a quiet click when i press the button ?
and finally my mileage and trip aint lighting up, you can see them at an angle but not light up! ?
any help at all would be gratefully appreciated

Sponsored Links

NOISUFNOC View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NOISUFNOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-November-2011 at 22:26
The temp guage problem, presuming you havent got head gasket problems could be down to either a dodgy guage or a sticky thermostat, id look at thermostat first.

The rumbling noise at the rear, id put my money on sticking handbrake shoes or handbrake adjuster, both can cause this symptom.

Drivers window, id check the obvious fuses etc first, then check the window switch then move my attention to the electric motor itself, all readily available from ebay or breakers.

mileage and trip not lighting is usually just the bulb itself, its just the backlight bulb that blows,  check out www.bmwe34.net it is american biased but covers most e34 common faults. also check out bmw5.co.uk as another 5 series information base, the guys on here are great also for info, but the e34 is getting rarer if you want to know how the bits all fit together www.realoem.com covers them all, if you put your vin number in.
528 for now
dumphus65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dumphus65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-November-2011 at 18:29
Many thanks for your help, looks like my weekend is sorted then lol
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-November-2011 at 19:41
Yup, classic symptoms of a knackered thermostat, it sounds like it is hunting, probably due to it leaking wax.

As said above, hopefully it isn't a head gasket.  Check for mayo under the oil filler cap and on the dipstick.
Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
dumphus65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dumphus65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-November-2011 at 09:01
Thank you guys,
Luckily i have no mayo..so a thermostat it is!
the problem with my window is turning out to be a pain.
Ive checked the fuses but one fuse covers all windows and with the other three working its ruled out that one. ive removed the switch cluster but all four windows are on one switch block, the fronts are together on one block and the same for the rear, so i cant even try to swop switches!off with the door panel it is then lol.
dumphus65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dumphus65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-November-2011 at 10:37
Hi Guys, update on the thermostat change! the fluctuation on the needle has stopped, but temp goes to half and just stays there, no movement at all........ is this now normal? im jus nervous cause ive heard so many horror stories about coolant system probs with this model!
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-November-2011 at 15:29
BMW temp gauges when all is well will travel from cold steadily and stop slap bang in the middle of the temp gauge and not move a millimeter.

Yours is now normal.

If it goes anywhere near the red, STOP, and you get it looked at.  A needle moving to the red can cook the head (certainly on the E39 petrols) the oil burners might be more robust.  Just keep an eye on it, after all the temp gauge is the most important dial in the instrument cluster....which is why the E60 doesn't have one.......
Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
dumphus65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dumphus65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-November-2011 at 17:03
nice one !
dumphus65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dumphus65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-November-2011 at 18:24
Thanks for all your help, im proper paranoid about the temp gauge as you can probably work out, i had an old 318i which i had loads of grief with temp wise, so am v nervous about cooking heads lol
all seems well so far touch wood, so onto my next prob cracking back wheel noise..... will keep you posted.!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic