Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedNewbie E34 advice please

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vp500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbie E34 advice please
    Posted: 28-September-2011 at 20:45

Hi all

I've been to have a look at a 1993 E34 530i Touring today, and need a bit of advice....

the driver's seat arm has gone floppy and won't hold in position, is this a common problem and easy to fix?

the auto gear selector moves freely between the gears, i mean you don't have to pull up on the t-bar to make the selector move. Is it supposed to be like that? every other auto I've driven won't let you change gears by accident.

the owner said that when you put the car into sport mode, it not only changes the gears, but also firmed up the suspension, through some sort of hydraulic system. I wasn't aware that this was an option on 1993 car, so is it right?

thanks

Richard.

Sponsored Links

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2011 at 08:08
Sports mode in an autobox will only alter gear changes, it doesn't do anything to the suspension set up.  It might have had a seperate button that altered the suspension but the two would not have been linked to the autobox.
Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-October-2011 at 21:16
Be very afraid of autoboxes that allow you to move the selector without pressing the button !

It's been a few years since I had an E34 auto, so I'm struggling to remember what it should and shouldn't allow you to do, there was a very high profile case a few years back when somebody knocked the gear selector on a faulty E34 autobox whilst it was ticking over, and the car went over a small cliff on the Isle of Wight and killed a child on the beach.

I think ....... but could be wrong, it'll allow you to "lock down", this is to select 3 or 2, but it dam well SHOULDN'T allow you to move from Park to Drive or Reverse, without pressing the button.
Best Wishes

Nigel

540 V8 View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-October-2011 at 20:26
Blimey Nigel, talk about scare the guy!  But you are right, it isn't supposed to do that. If I were you I'd look for one that is in better shape and one the driver knows the spec of, not one who makes stuff up about it!

Good luck
Mike

Current:E34 540i Touring 6 speed manual(Mpower bodykit & suspension)& Chrysler Voyager 3.3 V6 auto
Previous:E34 530iSE AC Schnitzer suspension.
E28 525e auto-Standard
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic