Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMight buy E34 530i V8

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vp500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Might buy E34 530i V8
    Posted: 27-September-2011 at 19:04
Hi All

I hope you might be able to give me some advice....

I'm going to look at a 530i V8 touring near me. I haven't looked at one of these before, but have had a look at E32 7 series with the same engine.

The engine was rebuilt by BMW at around 50k. The current owner isn't sure why this was, but I suspect it could have been due to nikasil? He says the engine was rebuilt (possibly with a new block) rather than replaced - does this make sense? Is there anything I can check on the engine or in the paperwork that would give me some clues?

it needs a new a/c condensor, after a leak was discovered a couple of years ago. the current owner didn't mind so didn't fix it. I'm wondering if it's likely to need more than a condensor after not working for so long?

The car's got a set of BMW low profile alloys, but I wondered if the suspension would be any different from a smaller engined car? I drive mostly on country raods, so something that handles well would be a bonus!

Lastly, one of the rear door windows and locks stick, is this a common problem with an easy fix?

What would an sensible price be for one of these? it's now got 120k on the clock.
I'd welcome any other advice about buying one of these!

thanks

Richard
Sponsored Links

Peter Fenwick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2011 at 09:49
I'd take any statements about the aircon with a pinch of salt. It could have any number of problems so don't buy it with the expectation that getting the aircon back up and running will be a simple job. That's not to say it won't be though.
Not sure about the suspension but if your after a sporty ride you may want to upgrade the dampers and springs. 
Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic