Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW ///M Power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockede30 m3 coilovers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bavarian-Board Contributor
black beast with four legs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: e30 m3 coilovers
    Posted: 23-May-2011 at 22:03
anyone fitted any, got any thoughts on whether to and which ones
88 E30 M3 fast(er than it was, ta Shep and Grant)

and a k8 2008 busa...faster still

(focus RS gone to good home - but never forgotton, eh Shep)
Sponsored Links

UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-June-2011 at 13:45
I have converted my standard struts to coil overs.

The question is, what do you want to achieve?
How much is your budget?
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
Hoover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-June-2011 at 22:36

currently i have bilstein shocks with hartge springs - about 35mm lower than standard - i like the look and the handling but sometime on an uneven road it feels i bit to bouncy - particularly at the front

any thoughts Uwe

SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
UK Sport Evolution.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHEPSM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-July-2011 at 09:59

Uwe, I drove Nicks car the other day, it just feels like the shocks are not damping enough, although they are not shot to bits.. For bilsteins I was surprised at how "soft" the car felt, but on the other hand it does soak up bumps pretty well.

I think Nick is looking for a firmer sportier ride whithout shaking the car to bits. It is an everyday car after all :)

The drive of Nicks car kind of reminded me of my 1st M3 which had Koni adjustables and Eibach springs, the thing was soft, low, suspension would bottom out on a heftyish bump, but no matter how out of shape you got with it on the track, you would always get it back without much drama

[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1a1.jpg">[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1b1.jpg">
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-July-2011 at 11:56
hmmm, if you just want to run on the road and the odd trackday I would stay away from coil overs.

Bilsteins are usually my choice but I have noticed that you can end up on the bump stops quite quickly if you run shocks for normal length springs with lowering springs.

I think that is Bilsteins strategy to support the softer OEM spring with a fairly long soft'ish bumps stop. but that's not a fact, just my opinion.

Had the bumpstops on my B8's swapped against shorter and harder bumpstops and that improved feel a lot and got rid of that bouncy feeling. But this is not a DIY job I am afraid.

If you are lucky you can pop the bottom cap out of the shock which will give you access to the bump stop and cut 20-30mm off with a stanley knive. but that's a bit hit and miss really.
Hoover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-July-2011 at 20:30

thanks for you posts - its good to get Sheps opinion on the "drive" of the car - i think the answer is some more shocks but after what you say Uwe i would be weary of billies since it is lower bu just short of an inch i think.

maybe i will look at konis - i run an old clio sport (dont laugh its only a spare car) and recently replaced the rear shocks on that with konis as they were all i could get at the time. since then ive been impresed with the dial up bit

UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-July-2011 at 13:06
don't buy Konis for the M3. I had a set and the felt worse than the Boge I took out!

Get in touch, I have TWO different sets of shock for sale if you want something on a lower budget.

Set one:
4x Bilstein B8, bump stop shortened with Faulknersprings 350lbs front and KW ballon Spring £580 rear.
GOOD on the road and fun enough on track.

Set two
4x Bilstein GrpN without springs. OR if you convert your front struts to coilover I can offer you a set of KW Race springs with helpers etc.
But this is not really a everyday road setup

Set one can come with adjustable rubber mounts
Set two can come with adjustable rose jointed mounts

drop me an email mailuwe(the sign you know)ntlworldDOTcomHOME
Hoover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-July-2011 at 16:49

sorry Uwe, i didnt see the post and bought a pair of bilsteins for front off C3 - i fitted them yesterday.

both old bilsteins were shot, there was oil in both legs and quite a bit.

ive cleaned everything up, brushed and painted legs and refitted with new ones and its much better. needs trying propper yet but first impressions are good....

thanks anyway mate

UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2011 at 08:00
Originally posted by Hoover Hoover wrote:

sorry Uwe, i didnt see the post and bought a pair of bilsteins for front off C3 - i fitted them yesterday.

both old bilsteins were shot, there was oil in both legs and quite a bit.

ive cleaned everything up, brushed and painted legs and refitted with new ones and its much better. needs trying propper yet but first impressions are good....

thanks anyway mate

your old bilsteins are not shot, there is supposed to be oil in there to fill the airgap between shock and strut tube to aid heat transfer.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic