Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedE60 Traction Control and other Faults

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: E60 Traction Control and other Faults
    Posted: 13-April-2011 at 08:38

This morning my E60 decided it didn't like the traction control system and fired off a warning that the DTC/DSC system was at fault.  I had started the car and moved out of my driveway and then the system faulted. 

Oh feck. 

The traction control system had to intervene last night when I overtook a cyclist who insisted upon weaving all over a twisty bit of road instead of cycling on the combined footpath/cycleway (and signed as such) so I know it worked yesterday.

I then drove out of the street and indicated right, turned right and the indicator then didn't self cancel. 

Wait a minute something else is wrong here.

Turned right again and sure enough the indicator again refused to self cancel.

Hmm.

Drove about 4 miles then stopped car and switched engine off and re-started.  All the lights went out on starting as it did first thing this morning then within a few metres after pulling away, DTC/DSC fault re-appeared.

@r$e

Drove gingerly the next 10 miles to work with the indicators still not self cancelling and parked up, switched off, locked the car, unlocked it, re-started it and again within a few metres of pulling off it faulted again. 

When this same fault has happened (twice in 3 years) previoulsy switching the car off and locking it has cured the fault when I next re-started it within a few moments.  This time it appears to be a bit more consitient.  Never had the indicators not self cancel before.

I'm thinking it is electrical as it the system needs to calibrate itself after moving off once its counted a few wheel revelotions.  That explains why there is no fault until you move off.  But I can't think how this would be related to the indicators not self cancelling unless there is some wierd and wonderful electrical gremlin rearing its ugly head and upsetting the whole car.  I also recently had a fault with the passenger window not closing fully, it got half way then stopped and reversed, it took another two attempts to get it to shut.  Mibbie the original 7 year old battery needs replacing?  The number of electrical faults I had in the E39 fell dramatically after I replaced the battery as it did my old Senator years ago.

I also thought my Bluetooth had also failed but my phone had run out of charge and was swtiched off so that was operator error and not the car!

Pity my local garage diagnostic machine can't read my E60 as he reads it for free.

Any suggestions other than get it diagnosed by a computer?

Thanks

Andrew

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Sponsored Links

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-April-2011 at 16:53

Go figure this....

7 hours later started car, no traction control faults and the indicators are now back to self cancelling  but ummm errrr  

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-April-2011 at 23:20
Sounds to me like a good old intermittant electrical gremlin 

The only suggestion is to get the car plugged in and if it's not obvious what happened hope it was a one off.

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-April-2011 at 08:08

Yeah I'd agree with you Peter.  In the three years I've had it, it has happened mibbie three times (DTC/DSC fault) so I can live with it.

Was fine again last night and this morning...

My E39 used to once every year refuse to work its windscreen wipers.  They just stopped in the parked position and refused to work until the engine was switched off and re-started.

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic