Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedE46 320d EGR cleaning. OMG!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: E46 320d EGR cleaning. OMG!
    Posted: 26-March-2011 at 08:38
Well, I never wanted a diesel.

With all the bad press the swirl flaps get on these engines, I decided not to ignore it and get on with it and REMOVE them.

This is what I found when we took the inlet manifold off. Many thanks to MATT from ETA motorsport taking the time to sort this out for me.

EGR Valve little bit clogged up, just a little...

where it mounts to the inlet manifold

another shot

finally a shot from the swirl flaps. None of the had been loose but I still decided to remove them

The WHOLE inlet track looks like a coal mine. Bit disappointing for a 80k miles car.

After reading up a lot and speaking to a few people i made few more modifications.

A: added 40mg MORE air to the EGR via software.
This has reduced smoking out of the exhaust a fair bit
and will most likely help to reduce clogging up of the EGR in the future

NO adverse effects for driving, just the opposite IMHO
The car is much more easy to get going from standstill, no more sudden stalling when you didn't rev it up enough.

B: after a few more days I DISABLED the EGR completely via disconnection (and plugging up he pipe) the vacuum pipe.
Now almost NO more smoke coming out of the exhaust and car seems to drive even more smooth than before.
WARNING! My car is a 2002, on younger cars you may get the engine warning light coming up if you disconnect the EGR.

Edited by UweM3
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
Sponsored Links

Inept View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inept Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2011 at 21:36
.................I see that you or former owners have been using top grade diesel fuel
tsk
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2011 at 09:52

Scary stuff.  That does indeed look like a coal mine.

It's good that you are able to do things like that yourself, saving yourself plenty of pennies.

Could it be a quality of fuel issue from the previous owner?

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2011 at 10:36
Saw your post about this on E46 zone.

Wow that's dirty

How did you clean it?
Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2011 at 10:20
Actually this is NORMAL. More or less.

Because exhaust gasses are added to the inlet charge, it looks like this. The car I bought was mostly use din town, so that might explain the excessive build up.

You can't really clean everything, the inlet tracts on the head for example.

Some of the guy on the german forum had good results with !! oven cleaner spay.
But do not use it on aluminium parts.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-March-2011 at 21:58
Have you tried 10k boost?

I knew a bloke who ran diesel landrovers on one of these offroad course adventure centres and he swore by the stuff.

UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2011 at 07:59
Originally posted by Peter Fenwick Peter Fenwick wrote:

Have you tried 10k boost?I knew a bloke who ran diesel landrovers on one of these offroad course adventure centres and he swore by the stuff.

I am sceptical about that stuff. I have rebuild petrol engines. To clean a carbonized valve you need some sharp tools, a lathe and some force. IF that stuff really cleans that WITHOUT any mechanical intervention required, I don't want to be near it because it must be some pretty corrosive sh*t!
And IF it removes all that crud, WHERE is it going? Bits of clarbon deposit flying through my turbo? Thanks, but no thanks.
Think about it.

BTW the layer of sud on the inlet ports is THICK. I had a look into then ports with an endoscope camera. It really looks like the chimney of my house. Imagine letting that all loose to go IN the engine.
jetsetwilly2000 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetsetwilly2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2011 at 09:15
Ouch. 

I think the 10k boost etc are more intended to keep the engine from coking up itfp.  Speaking of LRs, most folk with older landies blank off the EGR (eg 300tdi) just as you have, and see a dramatic improvement.

Wonder what the emissions will show now?  I expect them to be worse than brand new but better than when you started!  Another 'great' feature that doesn't last as long as the car...

Off now to check into the 184bhp 3.0 EGR issue....
E90 M3 DCT, E46 330d Touring, VW T5 wannabecamper

Previous: Disco 3 TDV6, 2x E34 540i6,

E34 535iS

UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2011 at 09:03
you will still pass emissions with the EGR disconnected.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2011 at 12:40

We remove coke from the inside of tubes on a chemical plant by passing high pressure steam through them at very high temperature for several hours. The coke is converted to C02.

UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2011 at 22:06
Originally posted by Peter Fenwick Peter Fenwick wrote:

We remove coke from the inside of tubes on a chemical plant by passing high pressure steam through them at very high temperature for several hours. The coke is converted to C02.

can I bring my engine?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2011 at 16:32

I'll connect it up to our Very high pressure steam system.

About 1250 psig

Do you think the engine will cope with that kind of pressure?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic