Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedE60 Track Rod Ends v MOT

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: E60 Track Rod Ends v MOT
    Posted: 12-February-2011 at 09:19

My E60 was in for its MOT yesterday and it failed on the offside track rod end showing signs of wear. Part #5

Garage couldn't get hold of me so they went ahead and ordered a genuine BMW bit anyhoo (would have excepted OEM but no problem)  but unfortunately it came in to late to fit it then to get the wheel alignment done.

Has anyone else come accross track rod end failure on their E60?

Garage said it was fair wear and tear rather than any damage caused by potholes etc. which I can accept. I suppose having 8x18s on the front won't help either, still the car has done over 61,000 miles and this is the first bit that has worn out on it.

I asked them to order another track rod end for the nearside on the assumption that if one is worn the other can't be to far away and that was the side that lost the argument with a pothole.  Plus I would feel happier knowing both were done and I would now only have to pay for 1 wheel alignment and not 2!  Getting regular wheel alignments is no bad thing either, keeps you tracking true and straight which is good considering the number of potholes I've clobbered recently.

I didn't want a repeat like last time. The wifes Merc failed on the same thing a few years ago, got one replaced, got the wheel alignment done.  Next year, failed on t'other one, got it replaced and got the wheel alignment done again.....

Atleast becasue my MOT doesn't run out till the end of Feb I was able to take it home and I'll try and have a look this weekend.  The ball joints on the E39 rear ant roll bar links were easy to spot and you could move them by hand.....

Going back in on Wednesday for fixing.

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Sponsored Links

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-February-2011 at 08:11

Got the beast back from the garage last night.  Barely driven 1 mile and only just got up to 30mph and I could feel a difference to the car.  Steering wheel felt firm and I felt I had a lot more feel thru the car.  The whole thing felt more planted to the road.  I'm not sure if that was a combination between the track rod ends and the wheel alignment, although the alignment adjustments required were very minor.

Feels like a considerably newer car.  The slight shimmy that I had previously experienced under braking as been reduced.

Good stuff.  Still to get the bill for it though

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-February-2011 at 12:15
Ah yes, the worst part of car ownership, the bills!
Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-February-2011 at 14:53

Originally posted by Peter Fenwick Peter Fenwick wrote:

Ah yes, the worst part of car ownership, the bills!

It's a double whammy this month.  MOT and Road Tax

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dergside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-February-2011 at 10:47

Originally posted by Andrew Rolland Andrew Rolland wrote:

Has anyone else come accross track rod end failure on their E60?

I don't think there was a significant difference in design or layout between the e39 and e60 in this regard.  These are a routine replacement item on the e39.  Its one of the prices for a car that handles reasonably well.  While potholes add a bit to the tera part of wear and tear, I doubt that a single pothole could be blamed.  I can understand the point on alignment but I don't think there is generally a need to replace these in pairs.

As regards alignment, having it done at least on an annual basis is probably good preventative maintenance, usually highlighting and preventing things such as uneven tyre wear and problems such as the track rods. 

Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-February-2012 at 17:34
Right

A year later and another MOT.

This time she passed wooo hooo!

But a few advisories, when I dropped it off this morning the garage owner did give me a rant about his new MOT examiner, he picks up the slightiest thing and says, "I'm just covering myself" and the customer gets a list of advisories.

Mine are....

Front nearside tyre approaching legal limit, o.k. that's easy to sort.

Offside rear to front brake pipe slightly corroded.  O.k. is that just a point to note or something to be worried about?  Everything will be slightly corroded on an 8 year old car.

Nearside rear (front) suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement.

Offside rear (front) suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement.

Hmm, so that's parts #14 but is that just the examiners opinion again or something to watch for the future?

O/S/F slight play at steering.  O.k. but where?  Track rod end?  I hope not as they are genuine BMW ones put on this time last year.  Steering rack?  Steering knuckle ball joints?

I have suspected not all was quite well somewhere at the back end, she didn't just feel quite so planted but that improved when I put a new pair of tyres on 4 weeks ago.  But nothing on the MOT has picked up anything that suggests something is hugely amiss.  The faults on the rear arms are not resulting in excessive movement but what is the definition of excessive movement?  Or is there just a bit more movement than there should be and that is what I'm noticing? 

Eurocar parts aren't differeing between the two upper rear suspension arms so I can't be sure of the prices, either £109 or £66 each.  I would need a full four wheel alignment done on completion too.

Any thoughts?

Andrew

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-February-2012 at 09:19

Offside rear to front brake pipe slightly corroded.  O.k. is that just a point to note or something to be worried about?  Everything will be slightly corroded on an 8 year old car.

It's something to keep an eye out for,  if it was somethig to be concerned about it would have been a straight fail.

Nearside rear (front) suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement.

Offside rear (front) suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement.

Hmm, so that's parts #14 but is that just the examiners opinion again or something to watch for the future?

Keep an eye on it, the rubber in the bush is probably starting to show some surface cracks but is still holding it  'shape' so movement not excessive.

O/S/F slight play at steering.  O.k. but where?  Track rod end?  I hope not as they are genuine BMW ones put on this time last year.  Steering rack?  Steering knuckle ball joints?

Won't be in the rack or it would have play on both sides, if rod ends are new[ish] then probably the tie rods themselves.

Part #4.

Edited by Sporty1 - 06-February-2012 at 09:22

Sport Evolution Schwarz #043
Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dergside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2012 at 16:10

Any thoughts?

By and large I'd say that he's just giving you a hint that you should start to save a few bob for some impending repairs.  By now, based on age and mileage, I'd be expecting to see bushes, balljoints, ARB's, etc. appearing in a trickle fashion through each service from here on.  Its like painting the Severn Bridge, you work your way from one end to the other and then start again.

Not much you can do to avoid most of these bills, but the brake pipes would be worth some preventative maintenance, getting the rust cleaned up on them and getting some paint or other sealant on will get you an extra year or two.  These can be a right pain.  Not sure on the e60 but on some of them it means dropping a lot of bits and a lot of fiddly pipe work.  Here is ROI the NCT (MOT equivalent) just love failing BMW's imported from the UK on this.  The rear pipes are quite exposed to the elements and the further north that the car has lived in the UK, typically the younger they need replacement at (apologies to those living in Scotland if the tag of UK is deemed politically or otherwise insensitive Wink )
Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2012 at 17:59
Thanks for that.

I'll have a poke about once the weathers better.

Don't worry about upsetting us in Scotland, I mean, look who we have to put with as neighbours.Tongue

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
rmistry22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmistry22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-February-2012 at 19:23
Mine failed last year on driverside tie rod end and this year guess what, passengers side !!! Also failed on handbrake !!!
E60 2006, 50K!!!

Disappointed.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-February-2012 at 08:17
Originally posted by rmistry22 rmistry22 wrote:

Mine failed last year on driverside tie rod end and this year guess what, passengers side !!!

Welcome to the forum

That's why I got the pair done at the time of the first failure, I took the chance that if one failed then t'other probably wasn't far behind.  Only pay once for full four wheel alignment.  Things like this IMO should be done in pairs, springs, suspension components, brakes etc. 

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-February-2013 at 12:46

...and another year and 6,300 miles later it has passed its MOT.

Advisorys as follows

Nearside rear to front brake pipe slightly corroded.  

Offside rear to front brake pipe slightly corroded.  

So if you look the only thing that has moved on in terms of deterioration is the nearside rear brake pipe but what is more interesting is, on the 3rd Feb 1 year ago I wrote

O/S/F slight play at steering.

So that fault as either fixed itself or the same MOT examiner this year has decided it isn't an issue.

Hmm.

After replacing the nearside suspension in the summer I was always thinking about the offside might follow soon.  So on Wednesday night I jacked up the offside front wheel and tried to wobble it.  Got a slight bit of movement when rocking the wheel horizontally but nothing vertically.  I re-called the previous MOT advisory and put any movement down to that.  I then thought about checking the movement against that on the nearside with 'new' components.  Ever so slight bit of movement but really not that much less than the offside.

Decided to put it in for the test and see what's what knowing that I had till the end of Feb to fix anything.

Just shows you it is all down to human judgement at the end of the day.

Andrew

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Cambell View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2013 at 08:34
When I replaced the springs on my car the other week, I noticed that the bottom front arm balljoint was very flexible but with little or no resistance. All is well with the car but its playing on my mind and I will be replacing all 4 arms prior to MOT in April. 

I know that technically I should buy the "M" ones from BMW but I will be buying Lemforder (OEM) units from Euro. I'll be doing the work myself, I can work a spanner as well as any mechanic. 
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2013 at 09:25
When BMW identified the worn balljoin on mine, I wasn't 100% sure that I could detect it or not.  As you say it is in your mind, so you may think you can detect it.  Jacking the car up and moving the wheel, it was dead obvious.  The roads are so bad around me anyhow, no matter what car you drive round my local roads bumps and shales all over the place.

Do Euro do 'M' arms?  The ones you took off certainly looked like mine which were OEM replacements from Euro.

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
recardo View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote recardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-February-2013 at 09:13
I had similar symptoms @54K, took the car for an alignment check and the guy diagnosed 1 track rod end as having excessive movement.
He recommended getting both replaced than bring it back in for the alignment check, not charging me for his time so far - good chap!

I ordered 2 track rod ends from euro car parts, fitted myself - piece of cake-  and took the car for alignment - job done!
E60 525i (3.0i) M-Sport
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-February-2013 at 11:16
How did you get on with undoing to track rod end to steering knuckle nut?

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
recardo View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote recardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-February-2013 at 11:41

How did you get on with undoing to track rod end to steering knuckle nut?

piece of cake, 18mm ring spanner if I remember correctly and a ball joint splitter
E60 525i (3.0i) M-Sport
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-February-2014 at 11:11
Bu%%£r

Failed its MOT this morning.

Not really surprised, it failed on the rear brake pipes, which as you can see from the above have been pointed out to me before. They are now classed as severely corroded. When I was changing the rear brakes last weekend I did notice how corroded they were.

Examiner also picked up on some rear bushes which as before are showing signs of deterioration but not resulting in excessive movement.

Car booked in for new brake pipes to be fitted on Friday. Pity I've just renewed the brake fluid, they will need to bleed the system again!

Got a reasonable quote from the garage though so it will be worth it.

Passed no problems on the brakes inc handbrake and the suspension which I've mostly re-built!

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic