Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedintermitent vibration

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Bmw 535i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: intermitent vibration
    Posted: 01-February-2011 at 19:45
Hi i am a new member so bear with me,I have a bmw535i which has got a problem with intermitent vibration which starts up occasionally after 6miles approx on a run.It starts witha small vibration under the seats then travels forward to come up through the steering wheel.Sometimes it goes by itself or when you slow down or stop and restart your journey its gone.I have had new tyres all round laser wheel alignment and balancing done still fault is there.can anybody advise me what to do next cheers Steve.
Sponsored Links

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2011 at 17:19

Hi and welcome to the forum.  I am assuming you have an E39 5er made between 1996 and 2003.

The E39s are fussy when it comes to having the wheels balanced other than spot on.  I got two new rear tyres fitted to mine and I watched the fitters balance the tyres but the first time up to 70mph the car juddered.  Local garage re-balanced the wheels and the vibration went.

Re-balancing the wheels is the easiest and cheapest option at the moment.

If it isn't the wheels it could be anyone of lots of things from distorted CV joints, wheel bearings, unbalanced prop shaft/drive shaft, bent suspension components but I would like to think that the garage that did the wheel alignment would have spotted anything amiss with the suspension components.

Did you get a full four wheel laser alignment done?  The E39 needs a this and not just a tweak on the front track rod ends.  The car needs to be set up at the rear first on its thrust access then you set the front axle up to the rear axle.

Andrew

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
steven.seed View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steven.seed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2011 at 21:00
Another fairly common one is a sticking brake caliper. Always makes it feel like the wheels are out of balance but comes and goes as you brake and drive.

Steve. 
1998 E36 318iS Saloon   
1989 E30 318i. Coupe
2000 E39 520i Touring

Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-February-2011 at 10:45
^^^^^

Could be this, look for a wheel that has more accumulated brake dust than the others.

Sport Evolution Schwarz #043
ThosH View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThosH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-February-2011 at 13:59
Hi, I had a similar problem a few years ago, with a '00 520i The rear wheel on driver's side had a slight bulge in tyre wall (maybe pothole damage, etc). Tyre was replaced & balanced + 4-wheel tracking done. That fixed the vibration.
Did you have vibration before tyres were changed? I'm inclined towards balancing issue, albeit it was checked for you. It's a bit of a pain, but you could try swapping each wheel for the the spare wheel (if it is a full size one!) -- more likely to be a rear wheel problem, I'd say.
ThosH
Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dergside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-February-2011 at 10:19

Assuming that the balancing is right and the tyres are good, as you'd expect with newly fitted ones, then the things I would look at first are tyre pressures (what are you running them at?) for an imbalance between the rear pair, maybe one is perhaps loosing a little bit of pressure.  Second, check the rear wheel bearings for any play.

Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic