Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFuel Consumption during the cold snap

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephen520i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel Consumption during the cold snap
    Posted: 29-December-2010 at 23:09
From March 2010, once I got my coolant bleed, my fuel consumption was a steady 9.0 to 9.4 l/100km. However, during December (artic air and all that) my consumption shot up to 10.5 to 10.8 average.

Now that the thaw has set in, all is fine with a spin today averaging 9.1l/100km.

Any reason for this? Surely the ECU does not take into account the ambient temp, and the auto box was always in Economy mode.

Could the auto box oil cooler be an issue, not allowing the auto box into the highest gear possible?

A full tank fill of €90 has to last longer than 400 miles these days.
E34 520i auto leather

Previous: E36 93 316i M40 Boston Green

Sponsored Links

Peter Fenwick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2010 at 13:34
I'd say it's down to how long the car takes to warm up. When it's very cold my car takes a good few miles more to get up to temperature.

Also when it's colder the air will be dneser so you will need more fuel to maintain the correct ratio. This should give more power but could also make the car less economical.
Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
speedy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2010 at 17:39
My 520 has been the same. It takes alot longer to warm up during this cold weather.

1995 520i se auto 24v saloon
stephen520i View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephen520i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-December-2010 at 17:03
Quote Also when it's colder the air will be dneser so you will need more fuel to maintain the correct ratio. This should give more power but could also make the car less economical.

I would have taught that colder air (winter time) was better for an engine than warmer air (summer) and thus an engine would not need to be feed as much fuel as normal. Thus I should not have seen my MPG go thru the roof.

Quote My 520 has been the same. It takes alot longer to warm up during this cold weather.

I wouldn't say that the car takes longer to warm up, heating system  is fine and well capable of keeping the car warm.

Thankfully, normal winter temperatures are now the norm and all is fine. Just something I noticed over the cold snap.

E34 520i auto leather

Previous: E36 93 316i M40 Boston Green

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-December-2010 at 17:20
Originally posted by stephen520i stephen520i wrote:

Quote Also when it's colder the air will be dneser so you will need more fuel to maintain the correct ratio. This should give more power but could also make the car less economical.

I would have taught that colder air (winter time) was better for an engine than warmer air (summer) and thus an engine would not need to be feed as much fuel as normal. Thus I should not have seen my MPG go thru the roof.

The density of a gas is dependant on temperature. The lower the temperature the greater the density. So the mass of 1 litre of air is greater at 10 degC than it is at 30 deg C. It follows then that 1 litre of air at 10 degC contains more oxygen than air at 30 degC. Combustion requires oxygen and the more oxygen there is present the more fuel can be burned.

Your car takes in a fixed volume of air, dictated by the engine dimensions but as the temperature changes so does the mass of air, hence the requirement for a MAF. The greater the mass of air the more fuel is required to give the correct air/fuel ratio.
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-December-2010 at 17:57

I'm only getting 25 to 26 mpg at the moment down from 28 to 29 mpg.  Car is idling in the driveway while I scrape ice off the windows in minus 13 deg temperatures.  I was stuck in traffic for 2 hours on one of the bad snowy days. 

Combination of slow traffic and low temps always make my car sip just that bit more unleaded.

Spring time and the figues improve

I would say its nothing to worry about.

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
johnnydev View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnnydev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2011 at 22:40
There are too many variables to consider  all the previous comments are correct  you can only compare like for like driving conditions.
the recent cold spell has caused lower average speeds due to traffic congestion, lower gears being used and more stops mean lower mpg or in your case kpl

UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-January-2011 at 19:29
In the good old days we used to cover half of the rad up in the winter when temperatures went below 0 degress.
Just watch you temp gauge, it takes much longer till you have reaced normal working temperatures and the ECU just keeps richen up.
I also dicovered that my thermostat is probably broken.
I had this on my old 528 and after fitting a new one the engine reached temps much much faster.
The metal part of the thermostat sit in little plastic prongs and they break and the thermostat sticks open a little and lets cold water pass.

BTW my 530 isn't even going 400 miles per tank in the very cold conditions.
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-January-2011 at 08:39

Originally posted by UweM3 UweM3 wrote:

In the good old days we used to cover half of the rad up in the winter when temperatures went below 0 degress.

Us youngster with todays new fangled modern computer powered cars have adjustable air rams.  Behind my kidney grills are slats which are controlled by the ECU to either let plenty of cold air in to keep it cool or shut to keep the cold out.  With the engine off I can push the slats open quite easily and then see into the rad, but on a cold morning on idling just after start up the slats are locked shut and I can't push them open speeding up the warm up.   

At the start of November in minus 3 weather with the heater on full, after driving for 14 miles on a mixture of B Roads, M8 and Glasgow city centre traffic, my thermostat had not opened and the rad was stone cold when I parked up.  Granted the engine hadn't worked hard i.e. not above 55 mph or even 2,000 rpm it just didn't get a chance to heat up with the heaters sucking any warmth out the engine to heat the cabin.

Andrew

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dergside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-January-2011 at 10:15

Originally posted by Peter Fenwick Peter Fenwick wrote:

The density of a gas is dependant on temperature.

After the end of the recent cold snap I checked my tyre pressures that had previously been set in the depth of the cold.  The tyres were about 4-5psi over inflated as a result of the rise in temperatures.

Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-January-2011 at 10:40
Originally posted by Dergside Dergside wrote:

Originally posted by Peter Fenwick Peter Fenwick wrote:

The density of a gas is dependant on temperature.

After the end of the recent cold snap I checked my tyre pressures that had previously been set in the depth of the cold.  The tyres were about 4-5psi over inflated as a result of the rise in temperatures.

Indeed. It's worth keeping an eye on stuff like this when there is a significant change in ambient temperature.

Edited by Peter Fenwick
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic