Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockede90 330d what seems to be crank knock

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bananas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: e90 330d what seems to be crank knock
    Posted: 28-November-2010 at 15:49

Hi

Over the last couple of really cold morning starts my 330D E90 107k miles, i have noticed what seems to be a split second loudish crank knock immediatly the engine starts but this only lasts for about 1/2 second, then the engines sounds as smooth and quiet as usual.

Am i being paranoid or is there wear in the engine? The motor is sweet and uses almost no oil.

Your feedback/help would be much apreciated.

Thangs

Haguey

Sponsored Links

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2010 at 16:05

I'd just put it down to a cold start.  They can make a right racket starting when cold, my neighbours 520d used to wake me up every morning without fail last winter when it was starting.

You could try changing the oil, make sure its a quality brand and the correct spec.  When was it last changed? 

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
bananas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bananas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-November-2010 at 21:50

Thanks Andrew,

The oil was changed approx 8k miles ago.

I think i will change it.

Bye the way how is your 545i?

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-November-2010 at 08:49

Your oil is probably about half way thru its life, if your condition based servicing is anything like mine.  Has the starting improved or have the conditions worsened out your way?  It was minus 5.5 out my way last night.

Originally posted by bananas bananas wrote:

Bye the way how is your 545i?

It's a beast!  Goes like stink and can return an average of 28.5mpg.

It needs a light right foot with all this snow about.  Took me half a dozen attempts to get out of my street this morning, but I got there and got to work only to find that the meeting I battled to get to has been cancelled!

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
bananas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bananas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-November-2010 at 17:40

Its strange, but the temperatures have not been as severe probably - zero and not minus 2 and the knock seems to have gone!

I have started to switch the ignition on and leave it for 20 secs or so before turning it over. Dont know if this makes a difference with warmer fuel on the cold  start reducing diesel combustion knock.

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-November-2010 at 19:31
Originally posted by bananas bananas wrote:

I have started to switch the ignition on and leave it for 20 secs or so before turning it over. Dont know if this makes a difference with warmer fuel on the cold  start reducing diesel combustion knock.

I'm trying to remember from when I was inflicted with driving a 520d for 9 weeks but do you not need to wait for the glow plug light to go out before starting the engine?  I must have shut that bit out....

All the Ford diesels have a glow plug light, this comes on (at ignition position II) then goes out once the cylinders have reached the right temperature and then you can turn the key to ignition position III to start the engine.  Do the oil burning BMWs have this?  I can't for the life of me remember and I've driven several different kinds....

A failing glow plug will hinder cold starts and possibly it would contribute to the noise.  I suppose if the cylinders are warmer after leaving the igntion on for a few seconds more, will make the engine easier to start and less noisey.

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
bananas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bananas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-December-2010 at 19:40

I have come to realise that the knock i am certain is diesel clatter when i wasnt waiting for the glow plugs to heat sufficiently.

Each morning its recently been -10 i have waited for 20 sec with the ignition on and it starts with no knock at all!

I have read somewhere that if you crank the engine before the fuel has been warmed, the management system can initialy alter the fuel injection timing to compensate and cause the excessive knock

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-December-2010 at 20:47

Certainly sounds a plausable explanation.

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic