Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > General Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBreakdown cover

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack735 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Breakdown cover
    Posted: 25-September-2010 at 12:53

Mrs Jacks is up for renewal.

I normally do all the compare sites but thought this time I’d do something related to quality rather than much cheapness, something the compare sites can’t do. So has someone on here a good or bad tale to tell about who they are with and what type of cover.

Even better if it comes with a good deal.

Oooh, The machine of a dream, such a clean machine With the pistons a pumpin', and the alloys all gleam, When I'm holding your wheel, All I hear is your gear, With my hand on your grease gun, Mmm it's like a disease son, I'm in love with my car, gotta feel for my automobile, Get a grip on my .......
Sponsored Links

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-September-2010 at 21:58

I turned down BMW's offer of £700 per year for extending my bombproof/waterproof AUC warranty on my E60.  I had one engine management fault in the first year and only fault to date (2.5 years of ownership, 1.5 years out of warranty) so I'm £500 up.

You pay your money and you get peace of mind. 

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
540 V8 View Drop Down
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-October-2010 at 21:23
With the AA and have relay cover. Have needed them 3 times in 7 years. Once to pull wife's car out of the mud. Was really bad traffic, lots of breakdowns but although he was an hour, he rang and texted to keep her informed.
Second time the locking wheel bolt key for wifes car spapped and he came out and sorted it within 20 minutes. 3rd time (wifes car AGAIN!!) battery went flat when starting it so he was there within 20 mins, jumped it and off we went. Can't really fault them but if my wife had a BMW I'm sure we wouldn't have needed him so much lol!

Mike

Current:E34 540i Touring 6 speed manual(Mpower bodykit & suspension)& Chrysler Voyager 3.3 V6 auto
Previous:E34 530iSE AC Schnitzer suspension.
E28 525e auto-Standard
Misty Morning View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Misty Morning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-October-2010 at 19:57

I use GEM http://www.motoringassist.com/home never had any problem with them, used them several times in the past few years.

Basic cover, you pay for recovery,(but not having it fixed at a garage) or whatever and they send you a cheque in return post.

I had them tow me home one day and when I'd found a garage they then towed me to my garage the following day, and I got the cheque before my bank payment had cleared!

jamsieboi View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamsieboi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-October-2010 at 22:40
I am now with the RAC after having a major fall out with the AA.

Country road late at night hit a pot hole which burst the tyre and put a nice dent in the alloy didn't fancy trying to change it as it was on a bad section of road. Called them can't remember how it all went but they basically said I had caused it so they wouldn't respond but they would send a tyre fitter and I would need to pay.

The guy that I eventually got out told me I should have told them I had broken down.

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-October-2010 at 08:10

Originally posted by jamsieboi jamsieboi wrote:

Country road late at night hit a pot hole which burst the tyre and put a nice dent in the alloy didn't fancy trying to change it as it was on a bad section of road. Called them can't remember how it all went but they basically said I had caused it so they wouldn't respond but they would send a tyre fitter and I would need to pay.

I thought the AA would come out and change a tyre, put the spare on for you atleast.  If you aren't physically strong enough to lift a wheel out of a well in the boot floor etc or if you don't know how, they come out.....

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
jamsieboi View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamsieboi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-October-2010 at 16:09
As I said I can't really remember everything that happened but they didn't come out as I had caused it apparently.

I had to phone a local guy as I basically told them to stick there membership.

I really don't think there is much between any of the companies when I had a company van it was the AA and they always responded quickly and kept you informed by text so I have no issues with them that way.

Jack735 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack735 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-November-2010 at 08:24

Found this

Originally posted by <A href=http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/roadside-recovery target=_blank>Money Saving Expert</A> Money Saving Expert wrote:

Breakdown cover £5 - winter's coming. New Guide!
A year's RAC basic cover £4.77 or AutoAid full service for you & spouse £37
Winter's cold, dark nights are here, meaning breakdowns are tougher to handle. To help, we've re-researched and rewritten our cheapest roadside recovery guide. £5 RAC basic / AA £9: RAC's basic cover is £28 online, but this week you can get £23.23 cashback if you sign up the right way - so the total cost's under £5. A similar technique gets £9 AA basic cover. £37 full service cover: AutoAid has a policy with breakdown cover, home start & onward travel covering you & your spouse (or civil partner) in any car for £37 (AA equiv. is £100+). This company has good feedback and similar call out times to the big boys, yet it's a 'pay & reclaim' operator, so you pay the repair person, then send receipts to get the cash back. Loads more best buys & FULL pros, cons in the Updated Guide: Cheap Breakdown Cover Related: Cheap Car Insurance, Cheap MOTs, Cheap Petrol

Oooh, The machine of a dream, such a clean machine With the pistons a pumpin', and the alloys all gleam, When I'm holding your wheel, All I hear is your gear, With my hand on your grease gun, Mmm it's like a disease son, I'm in love with my car, gotta feel for my automobile, Get a grip on my .......
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic