Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 6 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedRepair Manual

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Repair Manual
    Posted: 26-December-2003 at 11:34

Greetings all, I have just become a proud owner of a 6 series 628csi.  1983.  And iam desperately looking for some kind of maintenance manual, is there anyone out there who can point me in the right direction so i can obtain one, I cannot find anything......tried looking on the haynes website but nothing that really fits the description.  Would be most greatfull for any information.

Moose.

Sponsored Links

Sohlman View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Coupe Chairman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-December-2003 at 11:38

Hi mooseboy,

Nice to find another 6 owner on the forum. I have not come across one, but i think there may be one by Bentley's that is available, it is just finding one. Also consider manual regarding the e28 5 series as the chassi's are very similar and they share a lot of parts. Alternatively post your queries on here and one of us will of probable exsperienced your problem and so will be able to advise.

Sunday 10th July Brooklands Sharkfest and Big Coupe Day. Coupe Events
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-December-2003 at 12:03

Hello

I have looked on the bentley site www.bentleypublishers.com

they do an enthusiasts manual, but not a service manual.

I dont know the difference, but I know a man that will, he will also be able to tell you whats available from other sources.

The "club" book man is John Drake www.johnsmodelcars.co.uk

His details are in the club mag, although his phone number is published there I dont have his permission to post it on here.

Might also be worth looking at amazon.....you never know

Best Wishes

Nigel

mooseboy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-December-2003 at 12:14
Thanks for the reply gentlemen......that was quick   :-)  I will check out those links Nigel   thank you, and  nice car Sohlman , would like to put a pic of my car on as my Avatar,  not in as  good  nick as yours , but the pic i have is oversized, can you please tell me what size it has to be so i can use as an avatar,  many thanks.
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-December-2003 at 13:11

mooseboy

Are you a member ?

Not trying to be pushy, and it will make no difference to the help you get on here, but it will give you access to the club office and the resources they have (direct contact with germany etc), and.. not all club members come on here, so being a member would put you in touch with all members.

Also the man who runs this website, A Mr Jeff Haywood has a  6, so it may be worth dropping an e-mail to him.

I got it wrong....its Howard who has the six, not Jeff

Edited by Nigel
Best Wishes

Nigel

Sohlman View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Coupe Chairman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-December-2003 at 00:44

Originally posted by mooseboy mooseboy wrote:

Thanks for the reply gentlemen......that was quick   :-)  I will check out those links Nigel   thank you, and  nice car Sohlman , would like to put a pic of my car on as my Avatar,  not in as  good  nick as yours , but the pic i have is oversized, can you please tell me what size it has to be so i can use as an avatar,  many thanks.

An Avatar must be no bigger than 64X64 pixels. To have an image as your signiture you can have up to about 200x200 pixels. But you don't want it to be too big otherwise it takes to long to download for everyone. You also need to have a web page were the picture is hosted. You can then right click on the picture and view its properties on the hosted page. You then have to cut and past the web site information of the picture and place it in your signiture section of the edit profile page for yourself. You then need to put the following piece of HTML code before and afterwards so that you picture can be displayed.

For example (img)http://www.my carspicture.com(/img) however you have to use [ and ] rather than ( ), but i used those so you could see the text.

If you have your picture of your car hosted somewhere great. If not you then need to find a web hosting place and adjust your pictures to your desired size by changing there pixle size on an editing software programme.

Hope this helps and is not to complicated

Edited by Sohlman
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-December-2003 at 14:55

Good news gentlemen

I have just spoken to John Drake, and there is a book available for the six series.

I also have his permission to put his phone number on here which is

01590 645623

He also says there is a 10% discount for members.

Best Wishes

Nigel

Sohlman View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Coupe Chairman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-December-2003 at 20:01

Cheers Nigel.

I will give him a call, but might have to wait till the new year otherwise i might get in the doghouse for spending any more money on the car this year. I made a promise.

Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2003 at 21:55
You can also get a repair manual on Cd from BMW

Part No 01 56 0 030 285

Cheers

Dave

635CSI
mooseboy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2004 at 00:13

Thank you for that Gentlemen.  Iam not a member yet Nigel but will be joining shortly, I have been in contact with John Drake and can get a manual for about £120,  it is very comprehensive  ( 800 pages )   but a little expensive really for what i want. Ive just found another switch near the gear selector and i dont know what it does   :-)      ( keep finding these switches )   And iam not even sure what type of fuel to use, iam using unleaded at the moment...is this right....lol    All the best

Moose.

Edited by mooseboy
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2004 at 19:03
BMW will probably tell you that the car cannot run on unleaded due to unleaded being of a lower octane. How ever I have ran all mine on unleaded with no problems. I generally use Shell Optimax or another Super Unleaded as it has a higher octane than normal unleaded.

Hope this helps
Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-January-2004 at 22:33
I have run my own Six on Shell Optimax since the head was replaced. Seems OK so far after 3000 miles...

Next little test will be to try that "ZX1 Extralube" oil additive....

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-January-2004 at 22:56

I thought my bentley manual at £50 was expensive, but has turned out to be the best £50 I've ever spent.

£120 is a lot of money for a manual, but hopefully it would save you more than that in garage bills, or just sheer time when your trying to work things out....especially the electrical stuff...would be nightmare city without my book !!!

Best Wishes

Nigel

mooseboy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-January-2004 at 19:36

What manual was that Nigel ? ive looked on the bentley site and could only find the companion manual and that was $25. Could you give me the name/No of the manual you have please....thank you.

Moose.

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-January-2004 at 23:22

Yes mooseboy, mines the bentley, but its for the E34, I was suggesting the manual from John Drake, although expensive, might still be worth the money.

Did you find out how much the cd that was suggested was?

That would be good too I'm sure, just a bit more of a pain to use, and print the bits when you want to work on the car, if its half the price or something like that you might not mind that hassle.

Best Wishes

Nigel

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic