FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedE39 Wheel sensor help please

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: E39 Wheel sensor help please
    Posted: 27-August-2010 at 23:10
Originally posted by Andrew Rolland Andrew Rolland wrote:

Originally posted by Dergside Dergside wrote:

it highlights the pettiness and unhelpfulness of the dealer in not entertaining such a route.

A BMW dealer, being petty or unhelpful, surely not!

This is something I hadn't experienced before, it took me by surprise to be honest.

I am so dissapointed I will write to the dealer principle, I'll let you know how exactly he tells me to take a running jump !

Best Wishes

Nigel

Sponsored Links

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2010 at 12:20

Originally posted by Dergside Dergside wrote:

it highlights the pettiness and unhelpfulness of the dealer in not entertaining such a route.

A BMW dealer, being petty or unhelpful, surely not!

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dergside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2010 at 10:01

Originally posted by 540 V8 540 V8 wrote:

chances are we'd refuse or at least get them to sign a disclaimer saying we cannot be responsible for any failure due to the fitment of the part

I don't think a disclaimer is unreasonable in the circumstances but in this case it highlights the pettiness and unhelpfulness of the dealer in not entertaining such a route.

Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2010 at 08:21
Glad you got it sorted Nigel.  Pity it's still a pricey job.

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-August-2010 at 13:59

I didn't want it fitted Mike, I wanted it coding.

Just a simple service, code this to my car please, Kerching, £108.00 in the till, job done.

I cannot code it myself, I don't have the equipment.

The car has done over 300 miles since coding, all ok so far.

As I said, I will write this all up properly, with all the contacts etc, when I get back from holiday.

One extra point, those with these cars may be interested in is, it's probably better not to have an early unit repaired, these units have been upgraded to euro 3 fail safe, the early ones are not fail safe.

With a later unit, should it fail, you just revert back to normal braking and lose your speedo, as a brand new unit is only £339, that has to be the sensible option.

Best Wishes

Nigel

540 V8 View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-August-2010 at 16:21
Was reading that with great interest. It can be so annoying how electrical gremlins can be such a pain.

Being honest though, if a customer bought something like that and came to my place to have it fitted, chances are we'd refuse or at least get them to sign a disclaimer saying we cannot be responsible for any failure due to the fitment of the part so I can sort of see where they are coming from but like you said, if you have a good relationship I don't see why they'd be obstuctive like that, it's a shame.

At least its sorted now though.

Mike

Current:E34 540i Touring 6 speed manual(Mpower bodykit & suspension)& Chrysler Voyager 3.3 V6 auto
Previous:E34 530iSE AC Schnitzer suspension.
E28 525e auto-Standard
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-August-2010 at 12:47

Righty ho

I've been and had it coded, all seems ok.

I'll write this up properly, with what I've learnt, all the contacts etc, and pop it in the how to do section

Best Wishes

Nigel

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-August-2010 at 22:50

I got the new one today.

Bad news is it needs coding to the car, and I'm very sorry to have to report, my local dealer refuse to code it ........ because I didn't buy it from them (they wanted £890.00 for the unit, £108.00 to code it, and £106.00 to fit it).

I bought it from a bosch dealer for £339.00, fitted it in under 15 minutes, from start to finish, including getting my tools out and putting them away, but I can't code it.

None of my mates can code it, but ..... the bosch dealer who sold it to me has arranged for someone to do it tomorrw for £41.00

The good news is, instantly the speedo works, and the abs fault light is out, I am just left with the orange "take me to a dealer" triangle lit on the display ..... I assume because it isn't coded.

It is very very sad news regarding my local dealer, they used to be Robert Sterns, and I've had a fantastic relationship with them for the last ten years, back in the days of the bmwcc gb (spit), they even gave us a tech e-mail helpline,there was the E60 M5 lauch day outing we had there, and they were despatching parts at a good discount to the Irish lads and anyone else that wanted them.

I've never been able to afford a car from them, but I've bought all my service items from them, and a lot of other parts for the last ten years.

They were taken over by Rybrook late last year, and instantly things went downhill, I was no longer able to just ring up and order bits , paying for them when I collected them, getting parts now involved two trips, one to order and pay, one to collect (the parts lads were as bothered by this as I was, but it was the new "regime")

After todays experience, I will write a letter to the dealer principle, but I fear apart from dropping a tin of biscuits in to the parts lads, for all their help over the years, that'll be my last visit, it would appear they've gone the same way as the car club !

Best Wishes

Nigel

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-August-2010 at 08:05

Keep going Nigel, you'll get there.

It's frustrating when a simple fault with part of an electronic system is a complete unit at £x00's of pounds when it only needs a new bit of electronic circuitry at a few pence or a couple of quid at most.

Let us know how you get on.

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-August-2010 at 17:20

You are correct Andrew.

I have looked at as much of the loom as I can (I did this last sunday) without stripping the car.

I could still be wrong.

It could be part of the loom I cannot see, it could be the instrument cluster, or its loom. or even the main cpu, or its loom.

The brains I'm talking to/working with, using the diagnostic software (genuine BMW) and two different fault code readers, one plugs in under the bonnet, one plugs in just above the drivers right knee, all say "nearside rear wheel sensor circuit".

The modulators do also seem to fail quite often ....... try and locate a 2nd hand one (not that you'd want a 2nd hand one).......try and locate someone with an exchange unit sitting on the shelf !

Even the chap at fab said "no chance mate, a working one of those is as rare as hens teeth here"

Assuming it does turn out to be the fault, I'm talking to BMW techie people as to why it fails on the 5 series "very often" and on the 7 series "very rarely", when it is in fact exactly the same unit.

In my mind, assuming it is the fault, it can only be its location, like on the Volvo T5's.

We have one small complication too, the ASC version 0 265 223 001, is what's fitted to my car, along with the ASC button on the dash, all the BMW systems, whether searched by vin number or redg number say 0 265 223 002, which is the DSC version.

Best Wishes

Nigel

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-August-2010 at 16:32
Originally posted by Nigel Nigel wrote:

Andrew

Whilst you are correct in what you say regarding the wiring loom, that kind of issue, on a 10 year old car with full bmwsh is very very unlikely, that kind of issue will show itself quite quickly if a "clip" is missed during build, allowing the loom to rub on something, it can also be an issue if somebody has been playing with a cars loom, fitting audio crap, lights, whatever, or if the car has been involved in a serious bump etc.

I agree but wouldn't an older car be mibbie more susceptable to wiring being chaffed as it has had 10 years worth of road bumps.

All I'm saying is don't discount it as you may be going down a road of forking out more hard earned than you need to!

Have a read of this which happened to an E39 M5 after a few years worth of road bumps

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-August-2010 at 15:48

Okay dokey

I'm supposedly going touring the highlands of scotty land ...... again, next week, so I don't have time to do the repair route

So, I'm off here tomorrow :

http://www.unitedautoparts.co.uk/

£339.00 for a brand new unit.

People are expressing concern (one woman in particular), regarding me wandering around the unit with a soldering iron, and then driving her across the applecross mountain road etc.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Best Wishes

Nigel

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-August-2010 at 12:58
Originally posted by Nigel Nigel wrote:

Some more info for you lads ...... mines the 265 223 001

http://www.ecutesting.com/bmw_5_series__e39__abs_pump_mo.htm l

I'll get a quote, and let you know how much

£150.00, 2 - 3 working days for a repair, no exchange units in stock

Best Wishes

Nigel

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-August-2010 at 12:55

Some more info for you lads ...... mines the 265 223 001

http://www.ecutesting.com/bmw_5_series__e39__abs_pump_mo.htm l

I'll get a quote, and let you know how much

Best Wishes

Nigel

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-August-2010 at 09:47

Andrew

Whilst you are correct in what you say regarding the wiring loom, that kind of issue, on a 10 year old car with full bmwsh is very very unlikely, that kind of issue will show itself quite quickly if a "clip" is missed during build, allowing the loom to rub on something, it can also be an issue if somebody has been playing with a cars loom, fitting audio crap, lights, whatever, or if the car has been involved in a serious bump etc.

None of the above applies to this car.

This issue regarding the faliure of electronic circuits in cars (and many other things to be honest) is a mixture of EU regs (I'll explain in a moment), very complicated circuitry, and extremes of temperature etc in a cars engine bay.

The abs unit has been an issue on Volvo V70 T5's for example, but not in most cases on the other V70's, and this is supposedly down to the abs mounting position versus the exhaust manifold ( I've actually repaired three of these for mates).

The EU regs bit dates from either 1995 or 2005, I can't remember which, and concerns the use of lead in solder, they've made everyone (with a few exceptions) go lead free, due to the amount of polution caused by throwing away electrical/electronic items into landfill, and the lead getting into the soil (it must be an issue, but it bemuses me, as that's where it came from .... the ground, so we're only putting it back).

The exceptions I'm aware of are the aircraft and medical industries, because leaded solder has a very long history,we can predict how it will react, lead free solder doesn't have a history.

There are issues regarding components too, a component built using lead free technology doesn't like being soldered with leaded solder and vice versa, so repairing older circuits with new components can be an issue (reliability wise)

Leaded solder used to be on red reels, and unleaded on green reels, but I have noticed that the buggars are palcing lead free on red reels now, I can still buy leaded solder (for how long we're not sure), but from non trade outlets, you should only be able to get lead free now.

So, my knowledge of the solder issue, and the Volvo issue, combined with the fact the problem isn't a sensor, and given there is so much information on the internet from the states about this (where they have more extremes of temperature than we do), is what is leading me to suspect the abs module.

If I'm wrong, I'll post it.

Best Wishes

Nigel

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-August-2010 at 08:23

So how does a soldered joint break?  Drys out and a shock from a pothole breaks it off?

I take it Nigel you are thinking that it is a knackered ABS unit rather than a wheel sensor?

Have you checked the wiring on the car side of the ABS wheel sensor plug/socket?  It is not unheard of for a ABS wheel sensor to show up as failed on a diagnostic check when it is actually a wiring fault, the insulation chaffs on something creating a short throwing on your warning lights.  Can be a pain in the sit down bits to find but may be easier and less scary than looking at the inside of your ABS unit!

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-August-2010 at 21:46

And ....... pictures

Best Wishes

Nigel

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-August-2010 at 21:40
Best Wishes

Nigel

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-August-2010 at 21:29

Uh oh :

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=700242

I've repaired a few ovlov ones for people, but from this thread the beemer one looks ........ well ........ sh*te !

Best Wishes

Nigel

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-August-2010 at 21:12

OK lads ..... an update

So far it's not good news, both the diode check, and my scope says the sensors are well (one is showing slightly over on the silicon junction check, but its pulse train output on the scope is perfect).

My local main dealer confirms that the nearside rear does indeed control the functions I'm having trouble with, having been for a drive with a loaned diagnostic box ( to get it to fail), the diagnostic box says "rear near side abs sensor circuit faliure".

I've obtained a sensor, a genuine BMW one, fitted it, 2.6 miles later, same problem (the problem is intermittent, like all good problems) !

I've spoken to the dealer I bought the car from today (they are a few miles away from me, just south of Bristol), so if it was a sensor it would've just been easier to do it than bother them.

They are going to ring me back tomorrow.

I'm going to do some internet research tonight, I don't yet have the bently manuals for the E39, and I cannot find the effing modules, lol, the krauty gits have moved them from where they were in the E34 !

Edited by Nigel
Best Wishes

Nigel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic