Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - ABS warning light showing on dash and speedometer  stopped working
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedABS warning light showing on dash and speedometer stopped working

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MickD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ABS warning light showing on dash and speedometer stopped working
    Posted: 01-August-2010 at 19:40

Hi, unsure if anyone can help out there but while driving today 523i year 2000 shortly after getting a jump start due to lights been left on in car, my ABS warning light showed up on my dash shortly afterwards while driving and noticed at the very same time that my speedomoeter started fluttering while driving and went to 0 so had to guess my speed from Wexford to Dublin!

Not sure if it is jump start related or due to the fact the there is not much meat left on my rear disc breaks but veryb strnage that the speedo went down and dash ABS warning showed at the same time. Any help would be great.

Many thanks,

Mick.

Edited by MickD
Sponsored Links

Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dergside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-August-2010 at 23:49
The speedo and ABS use the same sensor for data.  Its most likely to be an ABS sensor that is throwing a wobbly.  A check on a diag system will point in the right direction but iirc the speedo data is from the NSR sensor.
Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
MickD View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MickD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-August-2010 at 12:09

Thanks a lot for your reply Dergside, is there a way I can self check this? Do I need some special tool etc?

Kind regards,

Mick 

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-August-2010 at 12:19

Probably worth changing the battery.  A battery with low power will greatly increase the frequency and number of electrical faults in the E39.

You will need a diagnostic check (plugging in a computer into the cars diagnostic socket) done which can read the fault codes and reset the warning lights.  Any garage should be able to do this for you.  Generally they charge 1 hours labour for the work.  Unless you know them well and get it done for free.

Dergside is right, if it is a genuine ABS/ASC fault then it will most likely be a rear passenger wheel sensor at fault.

Part will cost about £60 and you can fit them yourself in about 30 mins provided the old one comes out the hub o.k.  If a garage tries to charge you over £100 (exc any diagnostic charge) for replacing it, you are being ripped off.

Andrew

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
MickD View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MickD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-August-2010 at 18:28

Thank you Andrew, I just got a new battery today in halfords with 4 year warranty so hopefully that might help with any potential future issues.

By the way, I am changing a broken pipe to my water resovoir at the moment and had to remove the front right hand side wheel and surround that lets you get access to the pipe and resevoir. However, there are a few little pin like plastic connectors that tap into the surround of the protection area at the bottom of the wheel arch that keep it neet looking that I broke as I had no idea how they came out.

There was about 20 normal metal screws too which hold this surround around the wheel on but they were easy to manage. Not sure if you know what I mean, but can send pic to explain.

Many thanks for all your help.

Mick.

Edited by MickD
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2010 at 08:24

Yes been there done that with the washer pump on the E39.

The offside wheel arch lining on the E39 is indeed held on with a large number of plastic expanding rivets and screws/bolts.

It sounds like it is the plastic expanding rivets are what you broke.

You prise out the centre part with a small screwdriver.  This is like a screw but with no thread.  This sits inside what is best described as a like a rawlplug (it expands when you push the centre part in and grips the components together).  Once the centre part of the expanding rivet is removed the outside part (the rawlplug bit) should then pull out with long nosed pliers or levering out with another screwdriver.  They are quite effective at holding.  New ones can be bought from a BMW dealer for buttons.

I hope you bought the right size of battery in terms of amp hour rating.  An incorrectly sized battery will not help any electrical issues you are having on the car.  My 523i had a 70 amp hour battery.  £54 from a main dealer in 2006.

Andrew

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
MickD View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MickD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-August-2010 at 13:28

Thanks Andrew, you folk know everything! By the way for anyone in Ireland, there is a 525 burnt out on the inside in kinsellla car breakers on the Naas road but engine looks gift... might be useful for anyone looking for engine parts, not a bad set of wheeels on it either! I will get more details of year, model when I am down there next.

The Battery is the right one, cost almost 136 Euros in Halfords fitted, expensive things really!

Do you know if the abs wheeel sensors on these would fit my 523i or for that fact even the wheels?

Cheers,

Mike.

Edited by MickD
Hasso View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hasso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2010 at 11:00
Change left rear (passengerside) ABS/ASC sensor its fore speedometer

Edited by Hasso
BR Hasso
BMW 540T 2001 6 speed.
BMW 316G (biogas) -1998
http://www.autopower.se/galleriet/bilder.asp?bil=40895
http://www.autopower.se/galleriet/bmw.asp?bil=45700
http://www.autopower.se/galleriet/bmw.asp?bil=40865
http://www.autopower.se/galleriet/bmw.asp?bil=45749

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic