Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW ///M Power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockednew power

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Bavarian-Board Contributor
black beast with four legs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new power
    Posted: 11-June-2010 at 21:24

some of you will probably remember my car having a afm delete, carbon air plenum and unichip fitted by paul shep, all with huge improvements on how my little 195 had performed previous.

since then there has been more work done - the engine whilst it was solid, had done a few miles and was a bit tired so i decided to have it rebuilt and uprated in the process. GMS, Grant Motorsport from Bristol did the work. Grant is a known VW engine builder and is very clever with head porting, spending lots of time and care on heads which then provide max HP and lbft!

in addition mine has Wossner piston, blasted rods, balanced crank and all new shells, seals and bearings throughout - the engine was completed with near standard cams whilst i ran it in, something which i did very meticulously.

since then the car has been back to Paul and Grant - Grant has thoroughly checked it all and fitted two 284 cams. Paul and Grant have spent hours on the engine and the Dyno to get optimum cam timing and mapping to provide an engine that is both usable (as it is a daily car) but provides that m3 grin factor when you use it....which it does. the result is a car which with standard 46mm throttles will rev to just short of 8k and makes 258 hp and 197 lbft of torque.!!

Grant and Paul have worked very very hard on my car - both have lots of enthusiasm to provide the best possible and both have done a few other things to it while the engine has been out.

i am very pleased with the car and would highly recomend Grant Motorsport and Paul Shepherd to anyone.

thanks again chaps

Edited by Hoover
88 E30 M3 fast(er than it was, ta Shep and Grant)

and a k8 2008 busa...faster still

(focus RS gone to good home - but never forgotton, eh Shep)
Sponsored Links

stevesingo View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevesingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-June-2010 at 13:00
Sounds good, but

THIS THREAD IS USELESS WITHOUT PICS/GRAPH

Steve
1990 Sport Evo No.47 Motec EMS
Hoover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-June-2010 at 16:19

Originally posted by stevesingo stevesingo wrote:

Sounds good, but

THIS THREAD IS USELESS WITHOUT PICS/GRAPH

Steve

good point Steve, i'll see what i can do

Hoover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-June-2010 at 18:37

here's a couple of pics but ive left the graph at work so that will have to be next week, unless Sheps got one?

Edited by Hoover

SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
UK Sport Evolution.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHEPSM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-June-2010 at 21:42

Hi Nick,

We learnt ALOT about cams and valve timing from your engine, as you know we had a huge amount more torque than your peak now, but it compromised top end power above 6000 RPM. With long discussions with Grant, we believe we can get it even better with different cams and 48mm TB's giving you back the torque lost at low RPM and giving even better power at the top end. Also the 320is manifold you now have may have sapped some torque over what we did have before we changed the exhaust cam and that manifold.

Put it this way, we compromised on torque for high end power and vica-versa. Knowing what the car is used for (every day runner) and knowing the need for that S14 7500+RPM grin factor engine note, I believe we have got the best compromise between torque and power.

We are pleased we used the pistons we did as we have a huge amount of adjustment available with the cam timing, much more than a standard engine which we have found to be very limiting with the exhaust cam on valve to piston clearance.

Was up at Castle Combe today at the Classic Car track day, thought about calling you and seeing if you were up for a blast.. :D

Enjoy it mate!

Paul.

[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1a1.jpg">[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1b1.jpg">
Hoover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2010 at 08:09

yeah wouldnt have minded that Paul, i take it you mean with the m3. maybe we should think about a similar day somewhere so we could "potter" round .

As you say, one factor here was me needing the car back. by far the best way would be to keep swapping cams/timing/manifolds to get see the results - but this is then getting into lots of time and money.

there are one or two other bits i need to do to. the front calipers and pads need a once over as i think one is dragging a bit causing it to pull when you dab the pedal, and a new steering wheel maybe a nice idea, this ones got a bit mank!

its interesting though also, my neighbours (many of which know FA about cars) say it sounds different...more bark

grin..

Edited by Hoover

SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
UK Sport Evolution.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHEPSM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2010 at 12:06

Yeah, it certainly sounds loader through the intake now...

Sure, swopping cams, headers, then having to map full throttle to see the results is a very time consuming thing to do, especially when you ae only making one change at a time which is the only real way you know you are gong the right way.... but what we did to your car was a real eye opener and you can throw the text books out the window. also the normal cam and management route has proved to not be the best route for your engine.. infact we are now playing with my standard 195's cam timing and may change the inlet cam to massively increase the torque after what we saw with your car :)

The cams and timing of them are crucial.

[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1a1.jpg">[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1b1.jpg">
SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
UK Sport Evolution.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHEPSM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2010 at 00:17
Originally posted by Hoover Hoover wrote:

yeah wouldnt have minded that Paul, i take it you mean with the m3. maybe we should think about a similar day somewhere so we could "potter" round .

Yes, I could have done with your car, but had to make do with an ex Themes Valley police car instead... here is the link..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXT5rQ7kdLk

It was a hoot to say the least :D

UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2010 at 14:17
good job boys! I am missing my S14 already
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
Hoover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2010 at 20:59

Originally posted by UweM3 UweM3 wrote:

and how is the S50 conversion going Uwe?

UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-July-2010 at 10:47

still haven't lifted the cover of the M3 yet. Too busy with other stuff. Renovating the house, getting married.....
SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
UK Sport Evolution.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHEPSM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-July-2010 at 11:59

still haven't lifted the cover of the M3 yet. Too busy with other stuff. Renovating the house, getting married.....

Having babies

M3Nally View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Nally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2010 at 20:12

Great work there chaps.

Getting married???

Congrats Uwe, where's the invite?

Edited by M3Nally
E30 M3 Macao blue metallic Evolution 2
E39 530d Sport Auto, Aegean blue Edition, Sat Nav, TV, comms pack etc.
E39 540i Auto, Sat Nav, TV, leather, luxo barge
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevesingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-July-2010 at 00:51
Uwe,

Will you car be ready in time to be used as the wedding
car?   

Steve
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-July-2010 at 13:47
Originally posted by stevesingo stevesingo wrote:

Uwe,

Will you car be ready in time to be used as the wedding
car?   

Steve

I am already married. And not in the conventional style with all the stressing out everybody stuff like a "wedding car"
We invited the family only to a BBQ. When everybody had finally turned up we dragged them to the register office and married. As easy as that. In jeans, sandals, shorts and whatever.
Everybody was relaxed and had a very good time afterwards.
Matching dresses for the brides maids? Giving somebody I have never seen before 2k for taking funny pictures? Wasting 500 quid on specially printed paper with our initials punched out for the invitations?
Erm, thanks but no thanks.
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevesingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-July-2010 at 13:50
Perfect!

Congrats
M3Nally View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Nally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-July-2010 at 20:35
Congrats Uwe,

We left the country and got married on a beach.

Had a couple of parties at home for friends and family before, worked out really well.

E30 M3 Macao blue metallic Evolution 2
E39 530d Sport Auto, Aegean blue Edition, Sat Nav, TV, comms pack etc.
E39 540i Auto, Sat Nav, TV, leather, luxo barge
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-July-2010 at 17:19

me too
Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-August-2010 at 18:02
Originally posted by thepits thepits wrote:

me too

your OWN fault, YOU sold it!!!!!
Hoover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-August-2010 at 19:05

Originally posted by thepits thepits wrote:

me too

your OWN fault, YOU sold it!!!!!

....and it drives nice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic