Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > General Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMercedes Benz World

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mercedes Benz World
    Posted: 11-May-2010 at 20:24

Ok look, I know we are on a BMW site but I also know we are car enthusiasts and BMW don't offer the sort of thing I did on Sunday. Courtesy of Mercedes Benz due to a team winning performance of a course the they run throught the year within the dealerships (We came joint 1st) we were allowed to pick a day out of our choice within a given budget. We chose a day out at Mercedes world at Brooklands in Weybridge.

The visit itself is totally free and you can basically walk around the whole place which is a giant showroom full of all the current Mercs on offer but also a history of the company, a lot of classics, displays of up coming new technology as well as the formula 1 displays too including Hakkinens and Hamiltons F1 championship winning cars.

There is a really nice cafe downstairs as well as a top notch 'gullwing' resteruant where you can have a three course meal which is out of this world, real posh nosh!

However, the real highlight of the day was taking out a 6.3 litre V8 CLK AMG on the track!

For an hour you pay 170 with an instructor in the passenger seat. He will talk you around the various parts of the track which include The 'elk' run where you learn the cars handling capabilities by weaving at increasing speed through a number of flat ridges on the straight run. This is also the drag strip where you get to floor the loud pedal then brake hard at the end (or he brakes for you with his dual pedal hehe) Once you've got to grips with the acceleration and turning as well as the stopping, you go on the track which is a narrow tight n twisty track with some short burst straights as well as a longer part where you can blast the engine. After several laps of that there is the straight skid pan where you can learn to control the car whilst accelerating and turning onto the wet stuff as well as the circular skid pan where you learn to drift the car round the water sprayed, silicone painted surface which is made to replicate icy conditions. The last 10 minutes was spent being driven round by the instructor which was awesome fun and a hair raising experience.

A friend of mine has done a Ferrari track day and he said for the money the Mercedes world experience was by far better value and more overall fun as you get the other elements thrown into the mix too. They also have a 4x4 driving course and do driver learning for 7 year olds as well as younger driving courses too. There are other driving experiences too and twice a day there is a display by the 'silver arrows' display team who start in smart cars acting like circus clowns but then swap them for AMG's and start doing some serious tyre smoking and exhaust popping action.

Across the road is the brooklands museum which is another experience in itself and well worth a visit too.

Why can't BMW do something like that in this country??

Mike

Current:E34 540i Touring 6 speed manual(Mpower bodykit & suspension)& Chrysler Voyager 3.3 V6 auto
Previous:E34 530iSE AC Schnitzer suspension.
E28 525e auto-Standard
Sponsored Links

Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dergside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2010 at 21:14

A couple of years ago BMW did do something with Rockinham track, nothing like the full MB World but did facilitate some driving experiences.  It seemed to die after a year or two.

Sounds like you had an excellent day out!

Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2010 at 22:04
I remember going to Rockingham when they brought the then new E90 3 series out, got to take it out on the road and then sling it round the track. Also got to floor a 330 with the active brake test (floor it towards a chicane, brake hard round a chicane the park. Also floored it round a water sprayed circular skid pan - the back end didn't step out at all. Also got to take an X5 off-road which was fun.
Grub wasn't bad either, a la carte all thrown in for nowt.
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
540 V8 View Drop Down
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2010 at 22:22

I think a few manufacturers may benefit from this type of thing. I understand it's costly but the cars have sponsors on them and they must make some money out of the punters. It is a very glorified showroom as a few of the guys left wanting a Merc so it's a big benefit to a car manufacturer. I had a blast and would recommend it to anyone. I'm currently saving to take my wife for an AMG drive for her birthday because she's always said she'd love to do something like that and after me coming home raving about it she turned a shade of green lol!

If BMW did the same type of thing I'd be there is a shot! Imagine taking an M3 or M5 out for a blast!

Mike

Current:E34 540i Touring 6 speed manual(Mpower bodykit & suspension)& Chrysler Voyager 3.3 V6 auto
Previous:E34 530iSE AC Schnitzer suspension.
E28 525e auto-Standard
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic